Do Basic Universe and Training cards suck

Started by Shoe, August 09, 2013, 09:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoe

I've never played overpwoer in any sort of competative manner, but to my untrained eyes, basic universe cards and Training cards appear to just plain suck and not to be worth putting in a deck unless a character has a special or inherit ability that makes them count towards damage...what is the strategy behind these cards?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Shoe on August 09, 2013, 09:26:59 AM
I've never played overpwoer in any sort of competative manner, but to my untrained eyes, basic universe cards and Training cards appear to just plain suck and not to be worth putting in a deck unless a character has a special or inherit ability that makes them count towards damage...what is the strategy behind these cards?

you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think the developers realized their shortcomings along the way, though. That's why the first DC set had training and basic universe cards with Int, but Marvel never came back to match that. They realized they were not effective (mostly because of losing card advantage). I'll still use one or two in a deck here or there, if it serves a specific purpose, though.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

a concrete jungle team is best with training
i still think a really good player can make that go well
i mean a +5 attack(10 total with a m5 card....11 on defense) even if just that instant is cool
i feel, the same way with banshee

daredevil(2so5ol) serpent society(3so5ol) sable2(r)2so5ol for AD protection
with kingpin(3 stats of 5 or less or (new warriors 2 so5ol)  for power
you get the idea

BasiliskFang

gameplan.exe

yeah, I agree that there are specific instances where a BU or Training card can be useful... With Muir Island, I've absolutely used the Robin 6+3 Int BU. I have a Banshee/Storm combo that uses both of the FI Training cards... but mostly, they suck.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Would've been nice if OP at least threw them a bone. For instance, a "collateral damage" rule could be if an attack using a basic universe card was not defended using at least 2 cards, the universe card counts towards the attacker's venture total. This could also count towards the defender's venture total if defending a single card attack as long as the universe card was necessary for the defense. (NO blocking a 2 power card with a 5 power card combined with the +3 just to get the bonuse.  ;))

Training cards could should be able to be used twice as long as each boost was to a different power type. These would be like individual teamwork cards. Think about a character being ganged up on by a teamwork followed by 2 attacks with bonuses.  He could block the initial 6 with an avoid or whatever then make 2 more power card defenses with bonuses from the training card. It makes sense both gamewise and comicwise. 

Also if both of these universe cards were placable to the homebase, so that #1 they don't compete with a teamwork or ally spot on the characters, and #2 any character could use them when needed, there potential usefulness goes way up. I think people would include 1 or 2 of each just like they include 1 or 2 ally cards in a deck.   8)

*Just thought of one more thing. Basic Universe cards could count toward damage against battlesites. (Another small but nice boost.)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Yeah, there are TONS and TONS of ideas for making BUs and Training cards more useable - which sorta answers the post's question right there  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on August 11, 2013, 11:56:36 PM
Yeah, there are TONS and TONS of ideas for making BUs and Training cards more useable - which sorta answers the post's question right there  :-\

Yea i wanted to come up with something that made each one unique and didn't involve drawing to replace the cards...
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."