Dead Is Dead (or is it?)

Started by gameplan.exe, February 04, 2011, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

As near as I can tell, Dead Is Dead rule applies to Inherent abilities only. Is that right? i.e., if you play "Cannot be Spectrum KO'd" then that character simply cannot be spectrum KO'd, is that right?

The reason I ask is for the use of Battlesites.

If I play Strong Guy's PILE IT ON, then I use Vision's ANDROID ENDURANCE from my Avenger's Mansion Battlesite, then he can't be KO'd, is that true?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Dead is dead, no matter what. I think one of the examples they gave even specifically mentioned if you were to use Android Endurance and Pile It On in combination, you'd still die. Maybe I'm crazy though!

Nostalgic

Yes dead is dead is just for that.  If you spectrum and cummulative KO a character they are dead regardless of any other factors (execpt perhpas an event card whihc may delay death  ;)).  Funny thing is waaay back before I knew of this rule I actually pulled off the invulnerable character!  ;D  The character was Morph and he was on a team with Strong Guy and Vision.  At the time my friend didn't realize what I was setting up because he didn't know I had strong guy's 'pile it on card'.  Morph was king for a day... or at least a few battles. LOL!
'
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Yup, I can only echo the statements of my peers here, that's exactly what the ruling states.

Though, because 'Dead is dead' is a really lame name for the rule, I hereby submit my vote that we change it to 'TKO.'   :P

-BBH

Palatinus

I second the TKO!  That is an infinitely more appropriate name.

mattkoz

If you were to increase someone's Hits to KO to 30 and somehow make them not able to be Spectrum KOd, would Dead is Dead come in to play at 20 + spectrum or 30 + spectrum?

I'm not sure if this is possible by the necessary combination of cards, but it seems like with activators, you could set someone up this way.

Jack

http://overpower.ca/archive/wildchild/oprule-KO.html

The 20/3 rule applies, so if a character has reached a normal cumulative (20) and a normal spectrum (3 icons), the character is KO'd.

Oscorp

One more question...  in the case of inherent abilities such as Deadpool's (may not be spectrum KO'd with Multipower cards)  if you play the increase cumulative KO to 30 special and he has a fighting 7, Multi 5 and Energy 7 hit on him..  is that a KO too? 
I'm rubber and you're glue...

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Oscorp on August 04, 2011, 03:01:28 PM
One more question...  in the case of inherent abilities such as Deadpool's (may not be spectrum KO'd with Multipower cards)  if you play the increase cumulative KO to 30 special and he has a fighting 7, Multi 5 and Energy 7 hit on him..  is that a KO too?

Well, that's only 19 points... but if he had a 7F, 5M, 8E - he'd be KO'd.

Dead-Is-Dead overrides all Inherent Abilities and modifications from Special cards.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

That being the case, what's the point of any inherant ability that states "May not be KO'd by..." 

Deadpool might as well have no inherant, since MultiPower cards can't possibly spectrum KO anyways, they'd HAVE to be with 2 other straight/multi special attacks.

NickW

This may sound redundant, but:

Any card or effect that alters the requirements for Spectrum or Cumulative KO only affects the requirements of that type of KO when considered by itself.

If you raise the Cumulative KO to 30 points, then this has no effect on the Dead is Dead rule.
If a card is in play that increases Spectrum KO to 4 power types, then this has no effect on the Dead is Dead rule.

The power of Deadpool's IA is that all MultiPower Power cards (and only power cards) do not count for Spectrum KO.
If he is hit with a 4 Multi, a 6S teamwork, and a 3F power card, then he is not Spectrum KO'd.  Just about everyone else would be, though.

Demacus

But would he be spectrum KO'd by a 6S teamwork, a 5 MultiPower card and a 9F Drop kick, if High Threshold for Pain was already in play? Having 30 to cumulative KO, he is hit with 20 points of cumulative damage that would also spec KO if not for his inherant. Does "Dead is Dead" apply?

Jack

Whenever 20/3 comes, the character is KO'd; no ifs, ands or buts.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on August 04, 2011, 03:11:26 PM
That being the case, what's the point of any inherant ability that states "May not be KO'd by..." 

Deadpool might as well have no inherant, since MultiPower cards can't possibly spectrum KO anyways, they'd HAVE to be with 2 other straight/multi special attacks.

Any such inherent can be extremely useful. Some are more useful than others (say Deadpool's over Punisher's)

Remember -  that the ability to absorb even one hit can give you a great advantage in this game, where a player's ability to know what hits to take is as important as what hits to defend.

It seems minor, but all possible advantages add up fast.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on August 05, 2011, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: Demacus on August 04, 2011, 03:11:26 PM

Any such inherent can be extremely useful. Some are more useful than others (say Deadpool's over Punisher's)

Remember -  that the ability to absorb even one hit can give you a great advantage in this game, where a player's ability to know what hits to take is as important as what hits to defend.

It seems minor, but all possible advantages add up fast.

-BBH

Yeah, one game againt's BBH's Trick'o'Treat deck and your eyes can be opened quickly to this fact!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27