Dead Is Dead, but should it be?

Started by gameplan.exe, February 17, 2011, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Okay, I know there are myriad ways to exploit the lifespan of various people, but in the end, how much advantage is that, really?
Sure, you had ways of keeping a character alive forever (via no-cumulative, no-spectrum specials off a battlesite). Or, you could put Marauders and X-Babies on the same team and do some things. But in the end, does that significantly improve your chances of winning a game?

I mean, first of all, with CLASSIC, you had the introduction of the JW specials.
Secondly, in X-MEN Edition, they had a huge influx of cards that can't be defended by specials already in play.
Thirdly, THE MARVELS came with various cards could affect inherent abilities.
Plus you have cards like the NN specials that Landslide and Hulk have.
You have more Mission cards that will limit what can be done defensively.

Not to mention, what do I care if you're still alive while I complete my MISSION?!

Seems to me like DiD is even more archaic - and less exploitable - than the Sum Deck Rule. Thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

I think the 'Dead is Dead' ruling (aside from it's lame-ass name) was one of the good things they came up with.

Granted, there are few characters that can truly me made 'unkillable' but no character should be completely invincible, no matter what. This also makes a player consider his defense a little more carefully even if he's set up a tough-as-nails character.

Incidentally, Grunge's inherent is far more broken and in need of a rule like this than the X-babies ever were.

-BBH

KObossy

Dead is Dead should only come into affect when the character becomes invulnerable to all forms of KO.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: KObossy on January 24, 2013, 01:03:42 PM
Dead is Dead should only come into affect when the character becomes invulnerable to all forms of KO.

This is kinda how i've always felt. Even with an EK+CG in place though, I'm not sure that breaks the game at all... I mean, there are still myriad ways to win Venture, even if you are trading hits...

In terms of Inherent Abilities though, I think the DiD rule is definitely dumb! This seems especially true when we got to later editions of the game and the various cards that affect Inherent Abilities or simply offer overriding KO opportunities.

I guess the biggest hurdle might still be Grunge, because of his KC and his I.A., but again, there are definitely things that can be done.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

steve2275

i do like having to ko in all applicable  ways
ghost rider all four types and if he has