Original Overpower art

Started by JohnL, April 05, 2011, 01:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdeath25

Wow! Thank you! That Neron art is amazing. The Overpower Hero Card doesn't do it justice..

Bios

Quote from: Overtime on April 08, 2011, 01:52:22 AM
Mr. JohnL thank you for starting this thread.

Amazing artwork! And I hope you keep them coming!
Here are some I find on the web.

Ranerdar

If you have any Green Arrow or Riddler stuff, I'd love to see it.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Jack

One image I'd like to see would be the Spiderman from the Any Hero promo, also from Wizard Magazine #50.

JohnL

Quote from: Jack on April 14, 2011, 12:13:42 AM
One image I'd like to see would be the Spiderman from the Any Hero promo, also from Wizard Magazine #50.

You and me both! As you may know those pencils were done by Todd McFarlane and because they were used as a cover for Wizard probably fetched a good price. It's not the same thing but a Todd McFarlane Spiderman cover, and not a great one either, went for over $70,000 last year...

Quote from: Ranerdar on April 13, 2011, 08:44:09 PM
If you have and Green Arrow or Riddler stuff, I'd love to see it.

The only thing that comes to mind is the nice Deathstroke/Green Arrow DC3 doubleshot I posted back on page 1. I'll check the images on my old hard drive tomorrow to see if anything else is lurking

Jack

Quote from: JohnLYou and me both! As you may know those pencils were done by Todd McFarlane and because they were used as a cover for Wizard probably fetched a good price. It's not the same thing but a Todd McFarlane Spiderman cover, and not a great one either, went for over $70,000 last year...
I...:'(

JohnL

Quote from: Ranerdar on April 13, 2011, 08:44:09 PM
If you have any Green Arrow or Riddler stuff, I'd love to see it.

Not a starring role but that's the Green Arrow on a DC Event card:

Here are the rest of those DC3 Doubleshot cards:

And finally two takes on the Batcave - one from the Any Hero promo and one from DC3:

LOTS more to come if you want them.

gameplan.exe

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

CoS

Bring them on- these are so enjoyable. If only they had commissioned art for the X-Men set. Such a let down to see blurry badly inked comic scans called cards.

Onslaught

The Any Hero Batcave is cool because it looks so much like the style of the animated series. Also for the other Batcave, it's weird to see that they had the gameplay term for Location worked out and all at the time that the art for JLA/DC3 was commissioned. Does anyone remember the exact release months for JLA and Monumental? Since JLA came out first, it could mean they were thinking about/developing locations as early as December 1996 (assuming they went to work on JLA right after IQ was released).

Onslaught

It's too bad they didn't use this for a 7 energy power card as originally planned, it would have been very nice.

Nate Grey

Definitely agree it would have been great for a 7 Energy Power Card. Beautiful art!

gameplan.exe

Magneto always had some of the absolutely most amazing artwork!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

JohnL

Quote from: Onslaught on May 01, 2011, 02:02:15 AM
It's too bad they didn't use this for a 7 energy power card as originally planned, it would have been very nice.

Nice! Odd that it's inked though. I need to dig out the card (it's a Magneto special right?) to see if they used the pencils or the inked version. I thought most of the original sets were just pencils - giving them a fairly distinctive look - and a fairly sketchy quality given that the inker does more than just trace the lines! I dug out a bunch of other Warren Martineck art scans I have and it's all just pencils. It's possible he inked this one after he got it back - that wouldn't be that unusual. I think he maybe sold this art on e-bay for a while.

Onslaught

Quote from: JohnL(it's a Magneto special right?)

Ya, turns out it's his AD.

Quote from: JohnLIt's possible he inked this one after he got it back

Recently there was a bit of a dispute on the comments section of his blog, where someone was a bit persistent that he didn't do the art for that Magneto card. When the blog commenter claimed he was in contact with the other verified artist for the card, Martineck posted that scan and posited that it was possible Marvel had people do touchup work on cards without notifying the original artists.

It also had this