Hawkeye's Combat Ready EF

Started by DarKBladE09, April 05, 2012, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarKBladE09

"Discard all cards not usable by Hawkeye from hand. Replace with same number of cards from Draw Pile. May keep duplicates." This is a question relating to the different phases. During the discard phase, as I understand it, you must discard anything that you cannot make usuable. Because of this hawkeye card, lets suppose I have a hand full of my teammate's specials but hawkeye is the last man standing.... Can i keep the unusable cards becuz I can sort of make them usuable with the special?

Also does a card like "opponent must discard one placed universe card" have to be discarded during the discard phase if the opponent has no placed universe cards?? I was told since i cant make a card like that useful and it's dependent on the opponent placing a universe case, if I do not place it, I have to discard it. This correct?

Jack

The EF was discussed in a previous thread I think. You cannot keep unusable cards in your hand for the purposes of discarding. If this card was negated, you'll have illegal cards in your hand.

Since the discarding phase comes before the placing phase, if you don't see any universe cards placed,  the card must be discarded or placed.

Palatinus

I think the post Discarding Unusable Activators... is the one that Jack was referring to about not holding cards for the purpose of discarding them to fuel another card.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on April 05, 2012, 10:25:39 PM
I think the post Discarding Unusable Activators... is the one that Jack was referring to about not holding cards for the purpose of discarding them to fuel another card.

I also posted about this with Morlock's Power Leech (you can search the Rules Topics by card  ;)).

Regarding the AI-displace Specials, yeah there has to be something out there for you to displace, otherwise it's unusable (according to the things you can affect from the start of the hand). Certainly, those 1st Ed. AI cards are great because they're not targeting a character (because it says "Opponent"), but they're all limited to card-types, making them less than ideal.

With an AI like Iceman's, it can be any card (and your opponent is sure to have SOMETHING placed), but it's also targeted (so it can be AG-avoided).

The best AI-Specials belong to Flash, Ghost Rider, Mandarin, Scarlet Witch, and Velocity (MZ). All of their displace cards are untargeted and unstipulated. So it's your choice and your opponent can only defend by negating.  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

DarKBladE09

cool beans.... sorry for the double post. I've tried to use the search before and I must say, the results are less than ideal and usually don't hit anywhere near what I'm looking for. I must be doing it wrong.

breadmaster

you know, i'm not really a fan of the 'discard AI if nothing is placed' rule (IS this an actual rule, btw?  not saying it isn't, just wondering)

in the same vein, do you have to discard KLs (lil iceman) if the opponent has no such cards in play already?)

Jack

http://overpower.ca/wiki/AI

QuoteIf this Special is drawn in a hand where the opponent has no placed cards, it must either be placed or discarded as unplayable.

KL: I believe that is the case.