A few Questions Regarding Activators

Started by Kyoujin, June 17, 2013, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyoujin

1. Can I use an AO special to negate a special card played by an Activator?

2. In regards to the ruling stating you MAY NOT pass your action so long as you have a playable attack in your hand: if I have an Activator that can be exchanged for a number of specials (negates, avoids, attack, etc) do I have to use it as an attack if one of the options is an attack?

Thanks very much!

breadmaster

yes to both

in fact, sometimes you have to attack with the negate too!

Kyoujin

Interesting!  That never would have occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense.

Palatinus

Right, so basically if you can take an offensive action with a card from hand, you must.  You don't have to use placed cards, but if you pass you cannot attack later that turn.

Kyoujin

chuu

So if you have a negate in your hand and there's a card in play against you. Lets say a hit on your permanent record you have to negate it on your turn even though you know that next special card attack your opponent has will kill your guy and would like to have the negate to defend it?

breadmaster

that's not exactly correct.  you are compelled to 'attack' if you have a card in hand that can be used to attack.  you are not compelled to play a card that can be played offensively

some examples:

-if you have beast's acrobatics, you can pass, even though it CAN be played offensively.  it is not an attack

-opponent -3 to venture, you can't pass with; it's an attack.  putting your team +3 to venture you can pass with, since it's offensive, but not an attack (this would only be useful if the +3 was in the site...you'd never want to pass if the card was in your hand)

negates are trickier.  you are not compelled to remove a special card hit if you have a negate, since it's not being played as an 'attack'.  you also wouldn't be compelled to remove a lock card (like ghost rider's penance stare).  what you ARE compelled to negate, are specials that the opponent has in play on his side of the table.  example of this are beast's acrobatics or stars and garters and gambit's charm.  in these cases you are attacking the opponent with the negate by removing a buff

steve2275

since were talking actvators

would that apply to activators that bring icons as well?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on June 18, 2013, 10:53:10 PM
since were talking actvators
Quote* FABIAN CORTEZ (HX) <MN> {VR} [OPD]
        Acolytes team is +1 to all numeric Special cards for remainder of
            battle. Bonus not applied to damage or Venture total. May be played
            from Reserve.
would that apply to activators that bring icons as well?

yeah, for sure
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27