10 plus from DC - justa for fun!

Started by justa, October 24, 2017, 08:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justa

Instead of multiple posts, I decided to justa throw these all up at once.
This is a group of 10 DC characters.  I've never seen any of them done in OP before.  Most have appeared on TV in the past few years, but these are only based on the comic book versions.

Mad Hatter
Hatter may not be the coolest of characters, but he must be popular enough, or they wouldn't keep bringing him back.

Specials:
Dangerous Hats
Mad Tea Party
Mind Control
Obsessive-Compulsive Genius
Paranoid-Schizophrenic Thief
The Tweed Cousins
Wonderland Gang

League Of Assassins
I haven't seen many "team" based characters made for DC, especially for "villains".  So I figured I'd make one, justa for fun.  I tried to focus on the League's team characteristics rather than just including a bunch of characters (most of which wouldn't ever be made).

Specials:
Ambush Tactics
Ghul Horde
Ninja Abilities
Relentless Assault
Sensei
Shadow Resources
The Demon's Head

Amanda Waller
Amanda (like Cosmo) is a character that most would only consider using for an Ally card, or an Aspect (say, for Belle Reve?), so she's a good subject for me to try.  None of that skinny Amada stuff here; I find it hard to take the "bimbo" version seriously.  (Weight loss plus rejuvenation?  Or just a needless retcon?)  Her old look and art matched her manipulative guile and the threat of obvious or unseen leverage, and made it easily visible to the readers.

Specials:
Arrest Warrant
Implant Trigger
Indomitable Will
Intelligent Fighter
Not Intimidated
Suicide Squad
Team Leader

Deadshot
I'm a little surprise nobody has taken on Floyd before, considering how long he's been around and the exposure he's gotten.  (I'm sure somebody else will eventually.)

Specials:
Damn!  Still Alive
Fair Fight
Have Gun, Will Travel
Murder & Mayhem
Successful Assassin
Suicide Squad
Wrist Guns

Killer Frost
I used just the Louise Lincoln version here, not Crystal Frost, and definitely not Caitlin Snow.  I usually like TV shows based on comics, but it doesn't appeal to me at all when comics change to match a non-animated TV show.  (Harley's OK, but that show was animated.)

Specials:
Cold Storage
Frigid Friend
Frozen Beams
Heat Absorption
Icy Touch
Suicide Squad
Thermo-Kinetic Cryokinesis

King Shark
I wanted a Squad member that was strength focused, so I took a crack at Nanuae.  (He and the above 3 characters all were part of the Suicide Squad during the Interim stories between Volume 1 and Volume 2.)  He's a "*&^%$#@ sharrrrrrrrk!".  It's that simple.

Specials:
Deadly Jaws
Deep-Sea Endurance
I'm A *&^%$#@ Sharrrrrrrrk!
Occasional Ally
Regenerative Dive
Speedy Assault
Suicide Squad

Ragman
Despite its look, his suit is an interesting and extremely potent artifact.  I can't say that I care for the latest "mummy" look.

Specials:
Cloak Of Souls
Intimidating Aura
Mystical Cloth
Occult Knowledge
Shadowpact
Tatterdmedallion Of Justice
The Strength Of Many

Mister Bones
This is the character they didn't want on Supergirl because of his low level of usability on a good guy team (he's a bad influence with minimal powers and a chain smoker), plus the continuous drain on the CGI budget for a character with invisible skin.

Specials:
Cyanide Touch
Hero Wannabe
Inside Information
Moment Of Truth
Pawns In A Game
Regional DEO Director
Respect For The Fallen

Maxwell Lord
This is the guy that is so good at what he does, they keep bringing him back so that they can have a decent villain to kill off again.

Specials:
Business Savvy
Kilg%re's Lord Havok
Psychic Persuasion
Tactical Murderer
Telepathic Influence
Toasting The Dead
Wealth Has Its Privileges

Rip Hunter
Rip, like Amanda and Cosmo, is another good supporting character.  I focused his Specials mostly towards his time travel technology and its effects.

Specials:
All In The Family
Chalk Board Notes
Outside Of Time
Partners In Time
Self-Trained Fighter
Time Lab
Time Sphere

Let me know what you think.

justa

thanks, chuu.  i've tried hard to make the characters usable without giving them too much compared to existing characters.

OP3

This is really cool to see.  Of the 10 you've done up, Deadshot is the only one I had planned to include in my next DC set.  For me, Amanda Waller and Mr. Bones are just too low-level to write up as their own Characters.  They're going to be Allies in OP3.  And I don't think I could resist giving a 7I to Hatter.  Nonetheless, good job all around.

fennshysa

That is some seriously awesome work! And I bet that took a  lot of work. I know how hard it is to get the right art for the more popular characters sometimes. I like that Inherent on Ragman. I've already thought of some other places that can be used.

Nice choice with the League Of Shadows. They never crossed my mind. Deadshot was the only one I was seriously thinking about using too.

justa

i thank you both for the feedback!   ;D  i'll look forward to seeing both of your versions of Floyd - as I said, I'm a little surprised no one has taken him on before.

OP3:
     i can't feel too bad about beating you to the punch on Deadshot, since you got your Relentless Assault up before me.  (not that its a race or anything.   ;))
     i don't see Mad Hatter as quite up to the Intellect level of Joker & Riddler.  a lot of the time he seems (to me) to be more into his Alice In Wonderland delusions than his criminal activity.
     and THANK YOU very much for your comments on individual cards in deviantart.  any help i can get in improving my cards is greatly appreciated.  there doesn't seem to be as much interest in homemade cards as there was several years ago.

fennshysa:
     don't get too attached to Ragman's character card.  i didn't see it until OP3 pointed it out to me, but that's a negative IA (no matter how thematically appropriate) on a max-6 character.  that really blunts the attractiveness of using a character, and their usefulness in the game.  it's on my list of changes to be made.
     yes, finding the right art can be a bitch.  for some of these "more marginal" characters (as opposed to the more popular ones), i'm finding that i have to gather what pictures i can find, then find a way to work in an appropriate mechanic and card name, rather than design the cards first and then search for art that fits them.  a more difficult and time-consuming process to be sure, but much fun justa the same.

based on comments (or my reaction to comments), the following cards have been updated:
Deadshot's Wrist Guns
Killer Frost's Finger Beams
Ragman's character card
Ragman's The Strength Of Many
Maxwell Lord's character card
Maxwell Lord's Wealth Has Its Privileges
Rip Hunter's Outside Of Time

TGW

Nice work. I've had a few of these characters made myself; Deadshot, Mad Hatter, King Shark, Killer Frost, Amanda Waller and Rip Hunter. I like your versions a lot.

How do you go about creating your cards? I'm absolutely terrible with Photoshop and would love to get back to creating my own cards without having to commission the work to somebody else, if possible.

justa

i also could not get the hang of photoshop.  fennshysa uses imgur, and probably others use different programs as well.

i myself use microsoft visio 2007.  i used it a lot at work so i was very comfortable with it, and i got it for $10 through my employer.  my first attempts were quite crude, but i finally got it to a point where i thought they looked good enough to post.  (though it took me a good long while to figure out to post - old dog, new tricks, different story.)  visio has a lot of drawbacks, in that it can't do some things, but i've found a semi-suitable work-around to approximate a few of them (making circular parts of art for insets, covering up text bubbles on a solid or consistently colored background, almost 3-D looking text that really isn't).
its not a program that i'd necessarily recommend. it takes a while to learn, but is simple in its approach and application.  i was already handy with it, and was able to develop an "assembly line" technique to prevent much rework and simplify the process further.

regardless of the program you use, i'd love to see what you come up with for cards!   ;D

Additional updates:
Mad Hatter's Wonderland Gang
Amanda Waller's character card
Deadshot's Wrist Guns (again)

justa

I decided to add a few more DC characters that I've never seen done.

Vandal Savage
This one was suggested to me, so I took it as a challenge.  I didn't get all of his looks, but I got quite a few.

Specials:
Ageless Outlaw
Barbarian Tendencies
Blackbeard
Blood Sacrifice
Bow Before Me!
Immortal Evil
The Reptile Brain
Visionary

Ventriloquist
This character was on my list of characters listed on a Homebase that were never created.  I tried a different way to
make him usable.

Specials:
Free From Arkham
Grainy Glocka Wood
I'm The Goss!
Leave Da Thinkin' Ta Me
Meet My Little Friend
Scarface
Voice Relocation

Since I have an 8F & an 8I, I figure I should find 8s for the other power types to do as well.  I'll add them a little later.

Edit 11/19: updated Vandal Savage's character card and Blood Sacrifice special.

OP3

These are great to see.  Two more characters I hadn't planned to include in my next DC set.  I left some more specific comments on DA.

justa

As promised, a few more DC characters that I've never seen done.  These will probably be it for a while.

The Shade
Not an obvious choice at 8E, because most people think of energy as being associated with light.  But the Shadowlands provide all the energy that the Shade requires, just in a darker form.  I tried to capitalize on that darkness with the Specials.

Specials:
Blinded By The Night
Darklands Projection
Demon Control
Master Of Darkness
Perpetual Shade
Shadow Force Field
Shadowland Construct
Tendril Squeeze

Despero
I struggled to find a decent 8S to do.  I had no interest in doing Superboy Prime, for several reasons.  I only decided on using Despero after walking a tightrope of comparisons between him, Martial Manhunter, and Superman.  While the grids may be similar, the Specials are not.

Specials:
Cunning Fighter
Flame Of The Py'Tar
Illusion Casting
Intergalactic Conqueror
Phenomenal Strength
Regenerative Biology
Third Eye Blast

Dominators
I already had an 8I, but this idea came to me while discussing race-based Marvel characters with fennshysa.  While there are some DC team-based characters, the Dominators are the first DC race-base character I've ever seen done.

Specials:
Alien Alliance
Cold Calculation
Diplomatic Domination
Gene Bomb
Metagene Manipulation
Technological Tyrants
Warrior Caste

fennshysa

Oooh! Dominators, neat idea. They've got a lot of exposure lately with the CW.  I like the gene bomb especially.
I don't think i have ever read anything with Shade in it. Who is he primarily associated with?
Can't look at Despro...

justa

the CW didn't portray the Dominators like they were in Invasion! at all.  but it did influence my grid slightly.

Shade was primarily a Flash character, but he played a big part during the Jack Knight version of Starman.  he's also appeared with Dr Fate & a few other characters.

Zer0evil

When are you going to make this superhero?

"Excelsior!" - that one old dude who shows up in all the Marvel movies.

fennshysa

Ahhhh.. thank you. I didn't know any of that.

Wow! Captain Planet. I remember that one. It was on the same time as Pirates of Dark Water. Actually, Uncannyknack did a decent looking piece of art for the good captain. Maybe we should do that one justa?