Specials with the same code from the same character are considered duplicates?

Started by Bios, March 23, 2012, 01:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bios

Acording to the rulebook:
• Duplicate Special Cards —A Hand may only include one of each specific Special card. Duplicates must be immediately discarded. Remember, a number of different Characters can do the same things. Special cards that function the same, but are for two different Characters are not duplicates.

Apocalypse and Dethlok have specials with the same codes.

By reading that "a Hand may only include one of each specific Special card", I have doubts if it means "specific code". Any opinions?

Jesse

IMO having these two cards in the same hand would be okay because they are "different specials." Here's my reasoning (completely ignoring the fact the special's have different names and merely going by the code): When you have an Any Hero OPD it will specifically says "counts as a duplicate of any any hero -- specials" and standard hero specials like these do not. But I could be wrong.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

yeah, not to mention all of the coding errors that were in effect early in the game. Jubilee has 2 cards coded "AG" but one is for a teammate, one is for herself (I think CaptainA's and Cable's are the same way). We've always based duplication on the Special itself, not the codes. If the codes had been defined and separated better, then coding could have worked.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 23, 2012, 02:47:51 PM
yeah, not to mention all of the coding errors that were in effect early in the game. Jubilee has 2 cards coded "AG" but one is for a teammate, one is for herself (I think CaptainA's and Cable's are the same way). We've always based duplication on the Special itself, not the codes. If the codes had been defined and separated better, then coding could have worked.

I didn't even think about that! Could you imagine having two of some of those type of specials: Hellfire Club's Tessa would be a fun one to keep both versions.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2012, 02:49:21 PM

I didn't even think about that! Could you imagine having two of some of those type of specials: Hellfire Club's Tessa would be a fun one to keep both versions.

lol, exactly. still OPD based on code?  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 23, 2012, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2012, 02:49:21 PM

lol, exactly. still OPD based on code?  :D

Sounds like a new *House Rule that will be coming out soon  ;D

Jack

Don't forget Crux. Very powerful chain with Coldforce and Heatforce.

AO user

So what about silver sables AA specials from a battle site or  Cruz from a site as well: they aren't  dups if they are on your team but that doesn't work from battlesite, right?

BasiliskFang

Quote from: AO user on June 30, 2014, 10:29:17 PM
So what about silver sables AA specials from a battle site or  Cruz from a site as well: they aren't  dups if they are on your team but that doesn't work from battlesite, right?
you get one AA and so on PER battle site. its that simple.