Activators

Started by thetrooper27, November 30, 2012, 02:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

So you can use Storm: Neutralized to retrieve a non OPD Morlocks special card from a battlesite.  But you can't use Bastion because he isn't on a battlesite.  What are some other specifications for playing Activators and some examples to demonstrate? 
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

BasiliskFang

first point, only if that battlesite is morlocks tunnels. not any other location card storm is present on.

Jack

No.... only in Morlocks Tunnel will that situation happen. Both Storm and Morlocks appear on the location. This may seem weird, but you technically choose the Activator card to put into your deck first and then decide the Special card.

So, using Morlocks Tunnel, you choose to put The Marauders into your deck, you put a Special that The Marauders can play into your Battlesite.

For most characters, they can only play their own specials, so you could put a The Marauders Special into your Battlesite first and then put the corresponding The Marauders Activator into your deck and not be confused.

Now for the special case with Storm: Neutralized and Morlocks. Say you put a Storm: Neutralized into your deck, you would put in a Special that Storm: Neutralized can play into the Battlesite. This accounts for any Storm Specials as well as any non-OPD Morlocks. For Morlocks, treat it like the above scenario with The Marauders.

Clear?

Similarly, if you were to use Wakanda as your Battlesite. If you were to use Storm: Neutralized, you can legally put in non-OPD Morlocks Specials under the Battlesite even though there's no mention of Morlocks anywhere on the Location card.

Now for the question about Bastion. He's not on any Battlesite, so you can never use him as an Activator. But say he appears on a Battlesite with Sentinels. He would be able to put Sentinels Specials into the Battlesite. The same goes for Sentinels. Bastion and Sentinels would not be considered duplicates even though they can pick at the exact same cards.

Now, if you're wondering where this abusive relationship exists, it's quite limited. Blue Area of the Moon is only other Location that has this but you physically can't use it when playing with real cards -- since Crystal is only available as a thick, square-edged card.

BasiliskFang

why not use a crystal proxy?

can you explain more about why you physically can't use it when playing with real cards?

steve2275

different size
slightly thicker
its chrome

im lucky enough to have one

BasiliskFang

damn thing wouldn't even matter because she doesn't have her own specials. storm:N is the only hero card that uses specials frm a different character and has their own.

also use sleeves.

Jack

You can't use a legit Crystal Character card because it would be like shuffling a Mission card into your deck -- but much worse because the cards have a natural bend in them.

It's advantageous to use Crystal, assuming you're allowed to proxy, because she would not be considered a duplicate of The Inhumans when played as Activators. To clarify my above points, using Storm and Storm: Neutralized would be considered duplicates because they are the same base characters. The Inhumans and Crystal are not the same base characters and thus allowed to be kept together (still one of each).

And if anyone's interested in knowing, Crystal was going to be reprinted in the Marvels, along with Black King and Team X.

thetrooper27

Whoa... you could print up a neat character card for each of them and send them with the Rage reprints.:)  I know... probably not gonna happen.:(

So with the Wakanda battlesite (or any battlesite that Storm appears on), you can use a non-OPD Morlocks special because Storm:Neutralized can legally play that special. 

With the Morlock Tunnels, if I have 2 Storm Specials and 2 Storm Neutralized Activators and 2 Morlocks specials with 2 Morlocks Activators, I could use the Storm Neutralized Activator to play a Morlock special, but my later hands will suffer when I have a dead Morlock Activator with no special to retrieve because I already used it with Storm Neutralized? 

Jack

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 30, 2012, 05:21:08 PMWhoa... you could print up a neat character card for each of them and send them with the Rage reprints.:)  I know... probably not gonna happen.:(
I refuse to reprint any card that has a potential market.

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 30, 2012, 05:21:08 PMSo with the Wakanda battlesite (or any battlesite that Storm appears on), you can use a non-OPD Morlocks special because Storm:Neutralized can legally play that special.
Yes.

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 30, 2012, 05:21:08 PMWith the Morlock Tunnels, if I have 2 Storm Specials and 2 Storm Neutralized Activators and 2 Morlocks specials with 2 Morlocks Activators, I could use the Storm Neutralized Activator to play a Morlock special, but my later hands will suffer when I have a dead Morlock Activator with no special to retrieve because I already used it with Storm Neutralized? 
Yes, you run the risk of having useless Activators with this method and you would have to discard these as unusables.

BasiliskFang

wouldn't the AP TW have a market and the 4 grid galactus?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on December 02, 2012, 01:09:14 AM
wouldn't the AP TW have a market and the 4 grid galactus?

4-Grid Galactus has never been officially produced - so there's no actual market since there's no actual card.

AP Teamwork card is so rare, you have a better shot at locating Frankenstein's brain...

"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

I found a spawn anypower universe +2 card.  Is that thing rare or worth anything?

Jack

Our AP Teamwork exists as a functional card rather than a collectors' item. Seeing how there are less than 50 ever printed and those who want and can afford the real one would buy one anyway, the market for the real card is spared.

As for the 4-stat Galactus card, it was a tough decision to make. It was tough to even consider him a legal character with 8/8/8/8 at a cost of 24 for tournament deckbuilding. We decided to go ahead with the print because it was a new card introduced in the Marvels set and that it'll spur up thought into making a deck with him.
As for the market value, the argument with functional vs collectors holds. Those who ever wanted him were collectors. He was probably in a grand total of 8 decks ever in the history of OverPower since it was nearly impossible to build 3 other characters around him and not have the urge to tag him out for Beyonder.

What does this mean for Crystal? Well, she still shows up in the Front Line with The Inhumans for some KO Hero tactics. The number of people who'd use Blue Area of the Moon as a Battlesite is much lower than the people who'd use her for a Character so we couldn't justify printing playing card versions of Crystal.

BasiliskFang

It would have been cool to make her hero card, but look different.