Negate a BA Special

Started by Jesse, March 08, 2012, 12:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

If someone plays a BA, like Robin's Insignia Dart "Acts as a level 3 Fighting Attack. Can only be defended by a card with an intellect icon," Can this be negated? I feel as though it should be able to be negated since it is a special, but I am not sure if the card text superseeds the negate possibility.

Thoughts?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

I'm not sure if this is correct, but my understanding is that the "can only be defended by" part of the card means that before the opponent can play a card defensively there is first a check for if the card meets the criteria and if not it cannot be played.  In that case a negate could not be used unless it came from a battlesite with a 4-stat activator card.  But others will need to check me on that.

Jesse

I see what you're saying. I think you're right and I have spoken incorrectly.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Palatinus

Even if it can't be negated defensively it can still be removed by a negate offensively.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on March 08, 2012, 01:45:50 PM
Even if it can't be negated defensively it can still be removed by a negate offensively.

That's true. I never even considered that option until I read a post on here this week. It is a good thought to keep in mind.

gameplan.exe

It actually cannot be negated, even throught the use of a 4-stat Activator  :-\

When a card stipulates how it may be defended, all of the cards used in the defensive action must meet the criteria. So, while the Activator has an INT icon, the Negate still does not. It makes the lv.3, non-OPD BA cards pretty great, as a matter of fact. Robin's is arguably the best, since INT icons are probably some of the least-used ;)

GO BOY WONDER!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2012, 02:43:19 PM

When a card stipulates how it may be defended, all of the cards used in the defensive action must meet the criteria. So, while the Activator has an INT icon, the Negate still does not. It makes the lv.3, non-OPD BA cards pretty great, as a matter of fact. Robin's is arguably the best, since INT icons are probably some of the least-used ;)

GO BOY WONDER!

Learn something new everyday!  ;D

mattkoz

Quote from: ncannelora on March 08, 2012, 02:43:19 PM

GO BOY WONDER!
Just to clarify: Cannot be negated defensively, but can be removed later via negate on an offensive turn -- right?

Jesse

Quote from: mattkoz on March 08, 2012, 03:45:56 PM
Just to clarify: Cannot be negated defensively, but can be removed later via negate on an offensive turn -- right?

I think he was saying that it still can't do that....b/c no intellect icon...............

Palatinus

Removing a hit with an AL, negate, or other card is not considered defending against the card so defense restrictions do not apply.  Yes, it can be removed offensively with a negate.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on March 08, 2012, 04:03:17 PM
Removing a hit with an AL, negate, or other card is not considered defending against the card so defense restrictions do not apply.  Yes, it can be removed offensively with a negate.

Back and forth  ;D Sometimes rules can be confusing.....lol

Palatinus

Quote from: Jesse on March 08, 2012, 06:24:51 PM

Not really back and forth in this case.  Defending is defined in Overpower as an action taken as a response to an attack made by your opponent.  When cards refer to defense, defending, or defended they are only talking about actions that can be taken in immediate response to attacks.  Affecting cards on your own turn is never considered a defense.

Jesse

Quote from: Palatinus on March 08, 2012, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: Jesse on March 08, 2012, 06:24:51 PM

Not really back and forth in this case.  Defending is defined in Overpower as an action taken as a response to an attack made by your opponent.  When cards refer to defense, defending, or defended they are only talking about actions that can be taken in immediate response to attacks.  Affecting cards on your own turn is never considered a defense.

Yeah, the whole "negating cards on your record" is brand new to me, so its a challenge for me  :D

Jesse

Quote from: steve2275 on March 09, 2012, 07:48:52 AM
ally then negate  :P

I like that idea....at least you wouldn't be using a turn to just clear off a hit.....