Discarding Cards Questions

Started by Nate Grey, February 12, 2011, 03:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Grey

I asked this question over at the Overpower facebook page but I was hoping to get more opinions on these forums.

When you play a "BW" special (ie Iron Man Industrial Waste or Super Skrull Alien Fire), are you allowed to see all the cards your opponent has to discard into the dead pile?

I asked because I had that card played against me and I discarded one at a time revealing each card to both of us, but when I played it against my friend he was not happy and discarded all of them at once without either of us seeing them. I was going to say you have to show me the cards but then I didn't know if there was an official rule about that and let him have his way.

drdeath25

Im pretty sure your opponent should let you see the cards being discarded into the deadpile. Not sure though, as i never used a card like that in a tournament deck.

BigBadHarve

According to the official rules, you must show the face of any card you discard (any time you discard). So, yeah, if you mill your opponent's draw pile into the dead pile, he has to show them to you.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Thanks for the input guys. Nice to have that question put to rest.

mattkoz

I have another discard question.

What do you do about specials like "remove one hit from permanent record" that come up in the first hand?  The discard phase is before the placing phase. Do you have to discard if you have no intention of placing it? Or can you keep it and use it for bluffing purposes? Technically, it only becomes unusable after the placing phase of the round which comes after discarding. Are you forced to either place or discard it?

This isn't the only type of special that would fall into this category in the first hand, but it was the easiest example I could think of. I guess this could also come up in later hands if there were no hits on your heroes permanent records.

NickW

Scratch my original idea.  The meta rule is clear in this matter.

gameplan.exe

So, similarly, if it was the opening hand and my turn first...

if I have an AI-coded special in hand (opp/target must discard a placed card)

I place some other Special card (taking up my spot to place the AI)

And my opponent then waives his right to place anything
(making the AI unusable)

Am I not required to discard the AI at that point (since Discard Phase is over)?

It seems like I should be able to keep it at that point.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

I thought you can only keep cards in your hand if you can make it playable with the cards available to you in the battle.

QuoteMeta #32: If conditions are such that the card cannot be played this battle unless the opponent performs some action, then the card must be placed or discarded as unusable. If the player holds cards that can create the situation by which the card would be playable, then it can be kept in hand.

mattkoz

Another question about placing v. discarding:

In this example, I've put 2 specials in my deck for my reserve character; an Avoid 1 attack and a 8 EFS OPD.

I draw the Avoid before the OPD, but the player is in reserve. I'd rather not place the Avoid and "block" the OPD -- for fear of drawing that OPD in the next hand and having no place to put it or way to play it. Does this mean I have to discard it?

Maybe an avoid is a bad example because my opponent might have some way of attacking the reserve which would make it playable from my hand, but hopefully you can get the gist of my question.

Jack

You have a choice if the card is not usable: discard or place. If you don't discard it, you must place it.

NickW

Yeah, I thought about that Meta Rule after I made my post.  It should be discarded afterall, it's the only simple rule for all card types.  I still don't agree with it.  Specials should be treated differently.  Especially when it comes to the reserve and all the cards that were introduced after the first set that could target the reserve or cause places to be switched.

gameplan.exe

what about my question, then? would I have to choose to discard or place the AI during the Discard Phase, then?
(if my opponent has no placed cards during the Discard phase)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

I'd say yes, you would have to discard/place it if your opponent has no placed cards.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on August 06, 2011, 07:07:05 PM
I'd say yes, you would have to discard/place it if your opponent has no placed cards.

that seems like a real bummer. So, immediately after I draw my cards, anything I draw has to be immediately playable from that point, essentially?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: mattkoz on August 06, 2011, 11:29:10 AM
Another question about placing v. discarding:

In this example, I've put 2 specials in my deck for my reserve character; an Avoid 1 attack and a 8 EFS OPD.

I draw the Avoid before the OPD, but the player is in reserve. I'd rather not place the Avoid and "block" the OPD -- for fear of drawing that OPD in the next hand and having no place to put it or way to play it. Does this mean I have to discard it?

This was never directly answered by anyone, and when I was reading through the rules and meta rules, I thought of this posting...

If you have to determine the playability of cards at the moment of drawing them, and their playability cannot depend on your opponent's actions, that would mean you would never be allowed to keep any avoids in your hand, since you can't know that your opponent will actually attack you with anything...

So, Jack, your response here:
Quote from: Jack on August 06, 2011, 11:41:25 AM
You have a choice if the card is not usable: discard or place. If you don't discard it, you must place it.

wasn't talking about avoids too, was it Jack? have I still, after all this time, been playing Overpower with a wrong rule?  :o
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27