Discarding Unusable Activators...

Started by drdeath25, March 07, 2011, 07:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drdeath25

Ok, so it is the FIRST battle of the game.

I draw a NO ACTIVATOR event, my opponent must discard all activator cards in his hand, during the discard phase, because they are all unusable this battle, correct?

Onslaught

Jack

I'm doing to say yes in most circumstances...

But what if you had:

drdeath25

Quote from: Jack on March 07, 2011, 07:30:40 PM
I'm doing to say yes in most circumstances...

But what if you had:

Hmm... I guess they COULD be useable with that card. If only useable to discard... I don't know.

Jack

Then you don't have to discard the activators.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on March 07, 2011, 07:35:19 PM
Then you don't have to discard the activators.

Much as I like that interpretation, I have to say that it's not legal. You can't keep unusable cards just for the purpose of discarding them later. I got nailed on that one years ago with Hawkeye's 'combat ready' special, where I kept a handful of unusable cards because I thought combat ready would make them 'playable' by being able to discard them.

If a card is unusable at the time of it's draw, then it must immediately be discarded. If a card becomes unusable through the course of a round, then you may keep it for bluff.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 07, 2011, 07:15:24 PM
Ok, so it is the FIRST battle of the game.

I draw a NO ACTIVATOR event, my opponent must discard all activator cards in his hand, during the discard phase, because they are all unusable this battle, correct?

What mission allows for that event?  :o

drdeath25

BasiliskFang

Quote from: drdeath25 on March 08, 2011, 03:57:14 AM
Shattered Image

hand is leech, 4 activators and so on. this event is in play. I'm not playing the activators or keeping them in my hand with intention to play but only to use them for the leech discard.

chuu

As soon as the event is play you have to discard the activators, doesn't matter if you want to use them for leech.  As soon as the event is played, those activators become unusable and must be discarded.

Jack

It does not say "Affected cards are not discarded.". In those cases you're allowed to use it for bluffing/discarding.

BasiliskFang

lets take a look at another "NO ____" event:

discard all placed...

no disc

Affected cards are not discarded at all.

no disc...of all this is the most similar to Entropy field...would you discard universe cards here?

breadmaster

bamf!

When using Leech (JT) to discard your own cards (activators), you are playing the cards (activators) to meet the requirements of the card text, discarding in this case. This contradict the event as they are not playable and cannot be used in the discarding.

bamf!

BasiliskFang

So, is the opposite of printing "Affected cards are not discarded" on the card - not printing "Affected cards are discarded"?