discarding after battle

Started by breadmaster, June 03, 2011, 03:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

for those of you who played in tournaments, what was the rule regarding discards after battle?

were you obliged to let your opponent see what the cards were?

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:20:05 PM

nobody remembers?

JohnL

It's actually a bit of a complicated answer. In all the tournaments I played in it was pretty easy going and I'd say the level of courtesy was pretty high. People announced discards (during and after the hand) and if someone accidentally kept a duplicate in a tournament game they would offer to forfeit the hand but the opponent would sometimes let it slide (chances of the opponent letting it slide declined as the tournament progressed!)

However not all tournaments were as easy going. In Canada, apparently, looking through your opponents dead pile and power pack became a popular tactic. However because this bogged the games down GRS, who ran the rating service and did some judging, ended up banning this. The problem was that this left an even bigger cheating loophole if you couldn't verify your opponents discards after the battle.

This thread from the old newsgroup days in 1997 probably tells you more than you wanted to know about the dark days of Overpower.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.misc/browse_thread/thread/531e87efcf3c3dff/c839136e1a7768e1

BigBadHarve

According to the official rulebook, it states that you must show your opponent the face of all your discards.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 05, 2011, 06:52:23 PM
According to the official rulebook, it states that you must show your opponent the face of all your discards.

-BBH

QFT.
It doesn't specify which discards you have to show, leaving me to believe it's all of them. In our circle, we seldom ask because we usually don't care. Often times we'll show, because we were so amped about using a particular card, though  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

So, looking through your or an opponents dead pile/power pack is banned in play?  That's the most rediculous rule I've ever heard.  In EVERY CCG I've ever played, the discard pile(s) are considered to be public knowledge.  Either player may look through either/any discard pile at their leisure.  I can understand how that MAY help folks to drag the game out, but as part of the decision making process, the ability to look shouldn't be banned outright.  That's just silly.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on August 04, 2011, 02:24:31 PM
So, looking through your or an opponents dead pile/power pack is banned in play?  That's the most rediculous rule I've ever heard.  In EVERY CCG I've ever played, the discard pile(s) are considered to be public knowledge.  Either player may look through either/any discard pile at their leisure.  I can understand how that MAY help folks to drag the game out, but as part of the decision making process, the ability to look shouldn't be banned outright.  That's just silly.

I guess that's part of the reason for full disclosure at the time of discard...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Which is also really hard to do with the online program, unless the feed happens to record everything tossed at the time of the concession.  It doesn't record placed cards lost/discarded.  Is someone working on a newer version of the program?  I've heard rumors.