discarding unusables during discard phase

Started by breadmaster, August 24, 2011, 03:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i've discussed this with a few people, and got different opinions, so i thought i'd throw it out there

suppose you get 3 specials for 1 character, all of which are unusable that battle.  do you have to predetermine which one you are placing, and discard the other 2 as unusable, or are they all 'usable' since they can be placed, and can be kept? (only becoming unusable once the first special is placed, and you no longer are required to discard em)

this came up in a game yesterday for me with jubilee and the 'no avoid' event.  i drew her AG,AD and tw avoid. i discarded the 2 as unusable, and usually do whenever this comes up, just to avoid confusion.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on August 24, 2011, 03:10:10 PM
i've discussed this with a few people, and got different opinions, so i thought i'd throw it out there

suppose you get 3 specials for 1 character, all of which are unusable that battle.  do you have to predetermine which one you are placing, and discard the other 2 as unusable, or are they all 'usable' since they can be placed, and can be kept? (only becoming unusable once the first special is placed, and you no longer are required to discard em)

this came up in a game yesterday for me with jubilee and the 'no avoid' event.  i drew her AG,AD and tw avoid. i discarded the 2 as unusable, and usually do whenever this comes up, just to avoid confusion.

That makes sense to me, that you'd have to determine ahead of time which would be placed and discard the others. That's how I've always handled those types of situations, anyway.

Also, I laughed when I read "to avoid confusion."  considering that Event ;D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

supercal

Was thinking about that earlier too...

What if you have an activator for say Bishop w/ 2 avoids on the battlesite... that event comes up, does the activator have to be tossed (assuming DOW isn't in play).

NickW

Yes.  You know what is under your battlesite and you are allowed to look at the cards in your own battlesite when necessary, so you know what you can and cannot do.  If you do not have any other special cards for that Activator that could be used, then it would have to be discarded.

As someone reminded me when they posted this elsewhere recently:

If you cannot place it and you cannot play it, then you must discard it.

Sometimes this may be an over-simplification of the rule, but this is the easiest way to word it.

mattkoz

If you have an unusable power card because the number is too high for the remaining characters, does that go to the dead pile or the power pack?

Jack

Unusable power cards go into the dead pile.

Though, only after they've been through the power pack and reshuffled. So, if you had an 8 character but was KO'ed, and 8's are in the power pack; the 8's stay in the power pack until you draw it up again.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on March 27, 2012, 10:25:22 PM

Though, only after they've been through the power pack and reshuffled. So, if you had an 8 character but was KO'ed, and 8's are in the power pack; the 8's stay in the power pack until you draw it up again.

Well, wait, to clarify - an unusable Power Card is not required to go through the Power Pack before going to the Dead Pile, it's just that it has to be drawn. i.e., when your only max-8 character is KO'd, you're not allowed to do any sorting to pull the lv.8 Power Cards.

Having said that, if you're max-8 is KO'd and you draw a lv.8 in a subsequent hand, you can discard it directly to the Dead Pile.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 28, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
Quote from: Jack on March 27, 2012, 10:25:22 PM

Well, wait, to clarify - an unusable Power Card is not required to go through the Power Pack before going to the Dead Pile, it's just that it has to be drawn. i.e., when your only max-8 character is KO'd, you're not allowed to do any sorting to pull the lv.8 Power Cards.

Having said that, if you're max-8 is KO'd and you draw a lv.8 in a subsequent hand, you can discard it directly to the Dead Pile.

That's how I understand it.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

mattkoz

Unusable power cards would still have to go to the dead pile even if you have an Event or a Special in your deck like Substitute Death that could bring a character back to life that could make them usable again, right?

Jesse

Quote from: mattkoz on March 30, 2012, 12:34:58 PM
Unusable power cards would still have to go to the dead pile even if you have an Event or a Special in your deck like Substitute Death that could bring a character back to life that could make them usable again, right?

You know, on gut reaction I would say you would be putting them into the dead pile, unless a card like SD was in hand or placed - but I would need verification on it to......great question...
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

mattkoz

Quote from: Jesse on March 30, 2012, 12:43:19 PM
Quote from: mattkoz on March 30, 2012, 12:34:58 PM

You know, on gut reaction I would say you would be putting them into the dead pile, unless a card like SD was in hand or placed - but I would need verification on it to......great question...
Agree, I'm 99.9% sure it's dead pile... but wouldn't it be nice?

Jesse

Quote from: mattkoz on March 30, 2012, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: Jesse on March 30, 2012, 12:43:19 PM
Agree, I'm 99.9% sure it's dead pile... but wouldn't it be nice?

Incredibly! Especially if its your opponent focused on you "8-hitter" and made him one of your first KOd characters and if  he could possibly be brought back hanging on to those 8s would be great!

DarKBladE09

What happens to a powercard that was used during the battle to KO a character on the opposing members team, like lets say I'm using Prof X's 8E and he is the only one on my team who can use it, but then later in that same battle Prof X is KO'd himself? When hits from the opponent's KO'd character are discarded, where does the 8E go? Someone told me that the cards do not have to be drawn, but get discarded to the correct places when they are discarded, and the dead pile would seem like the correct place in this situation being that the 8E is no longer usuable.

Jack

You discard all Power cards from KO'd characters into the Power Pack, regardless if any members of your team can use it or not. You only discard them to the dead pile when they get drawn and are unusable.