KC (Social Outcast in particular)

Started by Jack, July 23, 2011, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

QuoteQuestion: I was under the impression that Social Outcast only lasted for the duriation of the battle and not the game (like Brood Spawn for example). The above scenerio seems to imply that it has a continuing effect. Which is correct? (1997-12-07)

Answer: I'm going to reverse what I said above a little bit after reading the text of the card more carefully. I would say that Specials coded KC (like Social Outcast) are removed from play either when the character is KO'd OR when they are made unable to be attacked (as in our example above, by playing Mutant Headmistress). Once the character cannot be attacked, the special goes to the dead pile and does not return in effect during the next battle. That seems more consistant with the text on the card.

To answer your question directly though, the effects of KC Specials do last until the character is KO'd or unable to be attacked - even if that extends over a number of battles. EB Specials (like Brood Spawn) are removed at the end of the battle. Why? To be honest, I don't know - but that's clearly how each is listed in the specials guide.

QuoteQuestion: Do KC specials (Twisted Mentality, Social Outcast) remain in play even after that particular battle in which the special was played? (1998-01-26)

Answer: Yes. They remain in the battle until either the character is KO'd or until the character makes himself unable to be KO'd (for example, they play a BJ Special (through a battlesite or something) or force the character into the reserve.

From Norm's fingers.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 23, 2011, 02:49:30 PM
QuoteQuestion: I was under the impression that Social Outcast only lasted for the duriation of the battle and not the game (like Brood Spawn for example). The above scenerio seems to imply that it has a continuing effect. Which is correct? (1997-12-07)

Answer: I'm going to reverse what I said above a little bit after reading the text of the card more carefully. I would say that Specials coded KC (like Social Outcast) are removed from play either when the character is KO'd OR when they are made unable to be attacked (as in our example above, by playing Mutant Headmistress). Once the character cannot be attacked, the special goes to the dead pile and does not return in effect during the next battle. That seems more consistant with the text on the card.

To answer your question directly though, the effects of KC Specials do last until the character is KO'd or unable to be attacked - even if that extends over a number of battles. EB Specials (like Brood Spawn) are removed at the end of the battle. Why? To be honest, I don't know - but that's clearly how each is listed in the specials guide.

QuoteQuestion: Do KC specials (Twisted Mentality, Social Outcast) remain in play even after that particular battle in which the special was played? (1998-01-26)

Answer: Yes. They remain in the battle until either the character is KO'd or until the character makes himself unable to be KO'd (for example, they play a BJ Special (through a battlesite or something) or force the character into the reserve.

From Norm's fingers.

The only character I use with a KC is a homebrew, so this doesn't affect me much, but I'm still very, very happy to see this. I've always felt that all of the KC Specials should remain in play. Afterall, if something says "until..." then it has a duration listed!

good find, jack!  :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on July 23, 2011, 03:39:51 PM
The only character I use with a KC is a homebrew, so this doesn't affect me much, but I'm still very, very happy to see this. I've always felt that all of the KC Specials should remain in play. Afterall, if something says "until..." then it has a duration listed!

good find, jack!  :)

Very good find, indeed!

Too bad he didn't see fit to reverse the ruling on EB specials to make them more useful on an official level....

-BBH

Onslaught

This was overruled when they made changes in April of 1999. Cards that aren't one per deck that don't specifically say "for remainder of game" are considered to say "discard at the end of battle." Maverick's +2 to all actions has an errata that says "for remainder of battle," so it corroborates the ruling that Twisted Mentality and such only last for one turn.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on July 25, 2011, 04:09:38 AM
This was overruled when they made changes in April of 1999. Cards that aren't one per deck that don't specifically say "for remainder of game" are considered to say "discard at the end of battle." Maverick's +2 to all actions has an errata that says "for remainder of battle," so it corroborates the ruling that Twisted Mentality and such only last for one turn.

was this published somewhere?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on July 25, 2011, 01:18:00 PM
http://overpower.ca/archive/wildchild/oprule-KC.html

Damn it. :(

bummer. Well, like I said, it doesn't affect me too much, since the only KC I use is for a home-made character.

On the subject, my brother recently purchased a complete Image set and has been trying to make the most of his recently spent money. He made an Image Battlesite w/Grunge's KC as the OPD. That was very, very obnoxious  :(
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

AO user

On related note, if outcast is in play and mole man plays acrobatics from site, does that end outcast or narrows range of attacks possible?