In-play specials at KO and Grid copying specials

Started by The Dude, August 06, 2011, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

1 - what happens to game lasting up team power effects when the hero who played them is KO'd? Do they remain in play or are the discarded with the Hero? For example Capt. Britain's card to make Basic Universe cards count for damage and Venture. Or the EB Specials in the Marvels?

2 - Do cards that duplicate Power Grids (Beyonder, Rogue's level 6 Special, Morph's "changeling") also duplicate artificial enhancements to a Power Grid (an Artifact or an AY special) ?

Jack

QuoteMeta #53: Specials with lasting effects remain in play even if the Character who played the Special is KO'd.
And...
QuoteMeta #90: Specials which alter a Character's abilities/skills that have a lasting duration are discarded when the Character is KO'd. Should the Character be resurrected or brought back into play later in the game, the discarded Special would not be in effect. Specials with a lasting duration that do not alter a Character (but affect the opponent or a teammate(s), etc.) remain in play after the Character playing the Special has been KO'd.

2. The character would only get the grid on referenced character card(s), the effects of an Artifact/AY does not get transferred.

Demacus

So, Zealot's Kherubim is in play. She get's KO'd, but my opponent has yet to pull a negate out.  Kherubim stays on the table as a negate shield, even though Zealot bit it?

That could have "helped" me a few times during our tourney.

Jack

Yes, at least that's how I interpret it.

gameplan.exe

me too. and hey, you got one win, at least :)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Thats really good to know.  I'm going to have to look closer are some characters based on this knowledge. 

@Ncannelora - That was a fun match. We need to play again soon.

gameplan.exe

new card, same topic

What about the (FL) cards? They don't have Meta Rule #53 tied to them, but it seems like that rule should be applied to them as well... thoughts?

Quote* SUPER ENDURANCE (FL) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, cards on Captain Britain's Hits to Current
            Battle with Energy or Fighting icons do not count towards
            Opponent's Venture Total.

It's also noteworthy that Meta Rule #90 isn't tied to that card code, either. In our circle, we leave it, but we're a little split on that still...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

Officially, all the meta rules apply per action. Separating them out by card code was only done to simplify them. The ones listed to the card codes are mostly the most commonly misplayed aspect of the card.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jack on October 29, 2011, 06:32:41 PM
Officially, all the meta rules apply per action. Separating them out by card code was only done to simplify them. The ones listed to the card codes are mostly the most commonly misplayed aspect of the card.

VERY interesting! those are details i never had!

so, in this case, what are the thoughts on the FL-coded cards? are these "buff" cards, like grid-altering cards, or the cards that prevent Spectrum/Cumulative KO? or are these affecting the conditions of the Battle/Game, like a shield/EB, a hold/AV, a bonus/BG, etc? (the former being removed at KO, the latter remaining in play)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jack

The FL card would remain in play until the end of the battle where the character is KO'd. They won't be in effect if the character is brought back after being KO'd.

Demacus

Quote from: Jack on October 29, 2011, 06:32:41 PM

Based on this knowledge, how do you deal with meta's that contradict each other? It's bad enough some cards don't make sense as it is, but when the "rules" don't make sense, something is broken.

Jack

Any example?

If there is, I was probably being too generic with that statement, but this page is the one that separates them by category.

Demacus

This isn't an example of a contradiction, but it is confusing... 

#160: When a Special calls for an Activator card attack, it means that the attack is made with an Activator card itself. The Activator does not then retrieve a Special from the battlesite to be used as an attack.

So, how do you use an Activator as an attack if you can't use it to swap out for a special under the battlesite?  Does it act as a multi-power level MultiPower card?  1 of each stat, but of varying powers?

#161: When an Activator card lands as a hit, it should be placed tucked under the card it hits to indicate the hit. When the card with the Activator hit is discarded, then the activators are discarded as well to the appropriate pile.

These two rules are contrary to everything I've learned about "How to Play Activators," and thus, make no sense and only create further confusion.

Jack

@160: That's a weird one, the "official" way to play it would be:
the attacking player puts the Activator card in front of the Character card he wishes to attack. He then immediately exchanges the Activator card with the desired Special card from beneath his Battlesite
Though most, if not all, of us would just skip the first step and attack with the special from the battlesite. Though the activators are still considered part of the attack, so "Avoid 1 attack that contains a Fighting icon" (Hawkeye) would block such an attack even if that attack has no icons on it.

@161: That's also a weird one.

I'm guessing that some of the meta rules were reworked after some tournament play and were never updated.

I've been corrected, those are actual activator attacks, so attacks on DoW. The wording of some of them out of context could be misleading.

Note that it says When a Special calls for an Activator attack, which would imply that the special is the card being targeted and not a character/battlesite.

Demacus

So 2 Meta rules in the 1 instance of DoW?  Interesting.  Are there any other Specials out there that call for Activator Attacks?