Peace Bridge Tournament Ruling Question

Started by DiceK, February 16, 2013, 01:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiceK

I was just reviewing some posted rules on the overpower.ca site for the upcoming tournament in Buffalo.

The ruling concerning avoiding attacks with a "x" icon...... which may be used to avoid any attack from a battlesite because of the shadow of icons from the activator.  While I may not agree with it, I accept it.  Which leads me to this question...

May I remove a hit with an "x" icon when "x" does not appear on the attack in cb or pr, but it was from a battle site, so it has this "shadow" of other icons?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: DiceK on February 16, 2013, 01:39:47 PM
I was just reviewing some posted rules on the overpower.ca site for the upcoming tournament in Buffalo.

The ruling concerning avoiding attacks with a "x" icon...... which may be used to avoid any attack from a battlesite because of the shadow of icons from the activator.  While I may not agree with it, I accept it.  Which leads me to this question...

May I remove a hit with an "x" icon when "x" does not appear on the attack in cb or pr, but it was from a battle site, so it has this "shadow" of other icons?

This is a great question! I'm not even going to this tournament ( :'() but I'll be watching for this ruling!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jack

Nope. The attack has landed and lost all memory of the activator or any card it was played "with".

To be a bit technical about it, after an attack lands it becomes a hit, which removes said properties.

breadmaster

interesting. 

bbh played me, and argued any hits from the battlesite counted against my site once spider-womans marvels was in play (all hits with fighting icons count for venture against battlesite)

the wording seems pretty clear, so i agreed with his interpretation.  that implies that hits have some kind of 'memory'

Jack

You... misworded the special, though it is quite a confusing card to use.

Original:
QuoteSpider-Woman's Team's attacks with a Fighting icon made against Opponent's Battlesite count towards Venture total for remainder of game.  May be played from Reserve.
Recommended:
QuoteSpider-Woman's Team's successful attacks with a Fighting icon made against Opponent's Battlesite count towards Venture total for remainder of game. May be played from Reserve.
Our's:
QuoteFor remainder of game, Spider-Woman's Team's successful attacks with a Fighting icon made against Opponent's Battlesite count toward Venture total. May be played from Reserve.

From the wording, it counts the attacks made, not hits. My explanation differentiating the two is in my previous post.

--

After this was brought up to me (sometime after your match against BBH), I realized this possibly breaks a few game mechanics. Firstly, it breaks the fact that you need to keep memory of said activators, which is not entirely difficult. But what if you landed an AE, say a 4S+7F, does it count the whole 11 or just the 7?
And secondly, it's the only card that adds a current/permanent record for the Battlesite.

It might have been better to completely change the card to remove the problems above. But that's something I didn't want to do because I wanted to leave the Marvels set as close as possible to the source.

halcyon1234

Quote from: Jack on February 17, 2013, 12:26:42 AM
After this was brought up to me (sometime after your match against BBH), I realized this possibly breaks a few game mechanics. Firstly, it breaks the fact that you need to keep memory of said activators, which is not entirely difficult. But what if you landed an AE, say a 4S+7F, does it count the whole 11 or just the 7?
And secondly, it's the only card that adds a current/permanent record for the Battlesite.

It might have been better to completely change the card to remove the problems above. But that's something I didn't want to do because I wanted to leave the Marvels set as close as possible to the source.

Or an AnyPower power card combined with a 6+3F Basic Universe. Hmm... actually, I think there's a Meta rule about this-- that attacks that were combined become distinct hits once they land.  One of the few good Meta rules that actually clarifies how the game works.

I've always thought of this card as "For remainder of game, hits on Opponent's Battlesite's Hits to Current Battle count towards venture."

In other words, whenever you calculate venture, look at the card. Does it have a F icon? If so, it counts towards venture.

I agree other interpretations break the game engine. Cards have no memory of what they were combined with, or who they were played from, etc, etc.

DiceK

Who came up with the ruling that avoid 1 card with a fighting icon could be played against any attack from a battlesite, regardless if the card that is actually used has a fighting icon?

This was never acceptable during tournament days.  This idea of battlesite cards having a "Shadow" or "Memory" is new, and definitely not the way the game developers intended.

If this tournament allows that, fine, I have no problem w/ that; however, i'm going to want to play the sentinels EA card from my battlesite which allows all cards with a strength icon to be removed from my pr, for the very same justification of "Shadow" or "Memory".

Jack

Quote from: DiceK on February 17, 2013, 12:33:31 PM
Who came up with the ruling that avoid 1 card with a fighting icon could be played against any attack from a battlesite, regardless if the card that is actually used has a fighting icon?

QuoteMeta #18: When a Special indicates a card with a specific icon then it includes cards with the specific icon OR cards that are being played along with a card with the specific icon.

Quote from: Norm BarthQuestion: Are the icons on an activator in play? - "Dum Dum Dugan" - Avoid energy draw one. - Do I play this against the Energy Icon on the activator or the special it pulls? AND IF SO can I decide after I see the special (sneaky idea); Quicksilver - Avoid energy no energy against - So can no activators now be played against him? (1997-11-02)

Answer: You can use "Avoid 1 attack made with an Energy icon" to avoid an attack made with an activator. You must wait until the attack is made before doing it though, so you can't avoid it before it comes at you (after all, it may not even be an attack), so you must avoid it after it's been made against you.

As for Quicksilver's AGILE AVENGER card, that card specifically states "NO ENERGY POWER CARDS" may be played against Quicksilver. Although it contains an Energy icon, an activator is NOT an Energy Power card. nice try, though.

Quote from: Norm Barth (again)Question: Can Nick Fury's Dum Dum Dugan [LO] block a special card coming from the Battle site since that attack would always include an Energy Icon from the activator card? (1997-12-21)

Answer: Yes

DiceK

So following this logic, please answer the following question:

My opponent attacks with a Teamworks (6E +1F +1S)

The 6E Teamwork card I allow to hit.

The 2nd attack (2F power card with the +1 Bonus = 3F Attack)

My response, avoid 1 attack with an Energy Icon....because the original TW had an energy icon.  You can mix and match that however you'd like.  Am I correct with this logic?

Also, I'm still looking for a ruling on Overhaul (EA).  I disagree with the idea that the activator is used as part of the attack as a basic universe card would be.  The point of an activator is to exchange a card from your battlesite.  It's not to play along w/ an attack. 

I can understand both arguments on this, and I don't really care either way, I just want the Buffalo Tournament ruling on it....which obviously I've been given for the activator attacks.

breadmaster

yes, you can use the 'avoid 1 attack with energy icon' to avoid:

the initial tw attack (6e), or either of the follow ups (f or s)

overhaul: i don't think you can use for activators.  jack has argued that hits are distinct from attacks, and it's a solid arguement

so what exactly is the ruling on the spider-woman card?  i understand that the card distinguishes between attacks and hits, but venture is calculated at the end of the battle by adding up hits, not when making attacks (my head hurts ;))

Jack

The teamwork scenario would be perfectly legal.

How I understand the Activator->Battlesite: the attack encompasses the exchange of the Activator card from hand for a Special underneath the Battlesite and played immediately. The entire attack is actually two pieces instead of one, the first being the exchange, the second being the Special (as opposed to one: just the Special from the front line). I'm including the exchange as part of the attack action, so it inherits the traits of both the Activator and the Special.

I do not subscribe to the idea that the Activator should ever be played together with its Special.

Quote from: breadmaster on February 17, 2013, 02:25:35 PM
so what exactly is the ruling on the spider-woman card?  i understand that the card distinguishes between attacks and hits, but venture is calculated at the end of the battle by adding up hits, not when making attacks (my head hurts ;))
For now, I consider the card flawed because it refers to attacks instead of hits.

I was thinking of a game mechanic for the card where you can exchange hits on the Opponent's Battlesite (with Fighting icons) to be used to bump up your venture total at the end of the battle. So if you landed 4M, 2S, 6F Power cards in previous rounds, and you were down by 5 venture, you can selectively choose to use the 6 in that round to win venture (and keep the 4M tucked in for later use). Wording of such a card requires a lot of thinking which I don't have the time for.

breadmaster

what if the SW card was errata'd to 'hits' instead of 'attacks'?

i do like the versatility of jack's wordy suggestion though!

Jack

So it would probably be something like:
QuoteFor remainder of game, hits from Current Battle with a Fighting icon on Opponent's Battlesite are added to Spider-Woman's Teams' Venture total. May be played from Reserve.

That removes one of the weird mechanics, the other one remains.

Maybe..

QuoteFor remainder of game, at the end of each battle, Spider-Woman's Team may remove hits with a Fighting icon on Opponent's Battlesite. Hits are added to Venture total for that battle. May be played from Reserve.

BasiliskFang

So, is the idea for her card to make the hits count every battle there after or just in the round that the battlesite is hit?

That's where I am getting confused.

Also, 'with' would be inclusive, about this avoid any attack made with an energy.

Jack

The intent was only for cards in the current battle. It was a mistake to not further clarify it on our rewording of the card.