Shifting Question

Started by Nostalgic, May 19, 2012, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

I just wanted to chime in here:

This "shift" rule needs a total revamp.  I had never heard of this until I read this thread just now, and this is utterly ridiculous.  There's no room for any form of "common sense" with rules like this. 

Common sense has never permitted me to even THINK that if I shift an attack that one member of my team is now attacking another.  In OverPower YOU CAN'T ATTACK YOUR OWN TEAMMATE!   It isn't allowed.  So why would this be the case upon defending an attack for your teammate (SNIKT) or moving out of the way to save yourself (Sacrificial Lamb)?  The actual attack comes from a single character:  The one that initally made the attack.  That's it, and it's not logically or rationally up for debate.  At. All.  If a cat poops on my couch, and my buddy accidentally sits in it, that doesn't mean my buddy now owes me a new couch!!!  Or how about this one:  The enemy attacks Jubilee and Wolvie SNIKTs and defends for Jubilee.  Is Cyclops supposed to kick Jubilee off the team because she turned on Wolverine?  Get REEEEAAAL!!!  This is the most ridiculous rule I've ever read...MOST RIDICULOUS... because its silly, it can't possibly be what they intended when they made AC's or the event, and its stupid stuff like this that ruined this game in the first place, because there's no way, no way at all, that people didn't fuss about this stuff.  This game was designed for us as players to put ourselves into the battle for fantasy purposes, not to bend situations to our favor for the purpose of winning.  When you play OverPower, see the fight in your head, and I promise all of these dumb rules will make no sense.  You could even role play the fight out for some extra fun!  If your goal is a fair game that plays like a superhero fight, you don't need the majority of these stupid rules, and I can't believe that as a community these haven't been changed yet.  Why preserve this game as it was when it could be so much better with a few fixes?  You don't even have to fix it... just take it out.  If you want to preserve the game, think about what they truly wanted for OverPower instead of how people in power without regard for the players wanted it to be.  As president of the OverPower community, my first act:  OP Stupid Rule Reform.  OverPower is complicated because people were good at arguing for wins instead of appreciating objectivity and intuition.  Lawmakers do the same thing and it ruins EVERYTHING.   They make dumb laws on the spot without thinking about how it's going to effect everyone and without noting prior laws, further restricting/controlling the citizen and complicating our lives, but even worse, giving the lawmakers even more power and a necessity for them to step in everytime there's a hurt feeling over a discrepancy.  More and more laws are made because people cheat the system.  And so it goes with OverPower.  I wanna know where this stupid "shift" law... I mean RULE came from.  If any OverPower historians out there can shed some light on why this rule came to be, please inform the public.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

steve2275

because guys like COLOSSUS and thor like to protect their teammates
and i dont know why they werent givin the full AD instead
while guys like the joker like to look out for themselves

gameplan.exe

here here troop! we certainly don't play with this stupid "new targeting character" shift rule in our circles.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

I, sir, will not be either.  Since joining the forum I've become more confused about OverPower than I ever was.  With the exception of a few things, the game flowed very nicely playing mostly as written.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Nate Grey

Trooper,

I'm so glad you voiced your opinion about this matter. I totally agree with you that these rules really take the fun out of the game. In my circle we simply play with common sense and have a great time. Yes certain Meta rules are needed but for the most part we just play with how the cards are written. The fun thing about this game is acting out superhero/villain battles and not constantly worrying about all the minute little stupid rule details. Like you, I get more and more confused about the game each time I come in here, even after playing it for so long. Its not all about winning with us and using trick plays and rules, its just about having fun.