Sin City
Constantine
Hellboy, Hellboy II
Iron Man
The Losers
The Punisher 2004
V For Vendetta

I LOVED all of these ones <3
I really want them to make a movie (or a series of movies) on the sandman comics.
I think they would have a lot to work with, and it would end up being as cool, and creepy as the comics.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 07, 2011, 09:43:51 PM
Ah, now I see.  This is a problem with the promotional material.  The X-Men First Class movie is not in the same continuity as the previous X-Men films just as the X-Men First Class comics are not in the continuity of the regular comics.  They are advertising the movie as if it is a prequel which it is not.  That's a big mistake on their part.  I felt the original X-Men movies were okay, but I am happy for something not of that universe.  I found out about the movie before this poorly done promotion so I was never expecting it to be in the other movies continuity.  Also, that sounds like an awesome set up for a Spider-Man reboot!

How do you know this? I mean it makes sense "logically" (as far as why there would be all the differences), but is there a link or are you solely basing it on comics.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 08, 2011, 02:19:08 AM
How do you know this? I mean it makes sense "logically" (as far as why there would be all the differences), but is there a link or are you solely basing it on comics.

You've got me there.  The material I read on the movie from several months ago made a clear statement that the movie was a different universe, but the new stuff I am reading makes that far less clear.  I still suspect that the people making the movie did not intend to conform to the other movies' continuity but that the people promoting the movie very much want people to go in expecting a prequel to the other movies.  If you consider that the Wolverine movie was supposed to be a prequel in the same continuity but still threw continuity out the window when it suited them, I really can't predict exactly what this new movie is going to do, but I do know that it has been explicitly stated that this will be the first of a trilogy.  Also in the press release information which you can find on google or excerpts on wikipedia, they have stated that this movie is very similar to the comic book X-Men:  First Class which is why they named it that.

In any event, I will take this movie as it comes and see if it is good or not.  Like I did with Wolverine.  I was even willing to forgive the Wolverine movie an awful lot.  Until Deadpool had swords magically appear from his wrists and lasers shooting from his eyes.  At that point I just sighed and let the movie spiral into its ending.

Ranerdar

Quote from: Palatinus on April 08, 2011, 09:45:30 AM
they have stated that this movie is very similar to the comic book X-Men:  First Class which is why they named it that.

Team in the First Class comic: Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Jean Grey

Team in the First Class movie: Beast, Havok, Banshee and Mystique.

Very similar...except for, you know...the characters.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Concepts and characters don't have to go together 100%.  I am really happy to see some new characters in this movie as I'm not totally thrilled with the treatment of some of the other characters in the previous films.

Ranerdar

Well, perhaps your just more highly evolved than the average comic book fan. All I'm saying is it makes no sense to change the origins of your characters. All it's going to do is alienate your core audience. People who don't like comic books are not going to go see the movie now because Havok is in instead of Cyclops. And comic fans are gonna pissed that Cyclops' little brother is now a founding member of the team and Cyc is now where to be seen.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Well . . . the average audience member will probably be happy so long as things blow up, people say funny things just before/after things blow up, some guy and some girl look like they won't get together but *surprise* they do, and there is a happy ending.

As far as the comic book fans . . . tying to please them is very very hard and very very expensive.

But I will say, in general they have not done a very good job even in the confines of what is available as far as capturing what is truly great about comic books in movie format.  I really think that the best way to do it is in an episodic format with a tv show.  I just haven't even seen a live action show that has done that well.  Honestly, I think some of the best offerings lately have been animated features and tv shows.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Ranerdar on April 08, 2011, 11:13:43 AM
they have stated that this movie is very similar to the comic book X-Men:  First Class which is why they named it that.

Team in the First Class comic: Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Jean Grey

Team in the First Class movie: Beast, Havok, Banshee and Mystique.

Very similar...except for, you know...the characters.

Perhaps wasp takes Angel's place.  :D (stretching it here...)

As a part of continuity with the other movies, I was willing to deal with a different first class given what they did with Angel, Jean (in X2 opening), and Iceman in the other movies. In spite of the fact that in the first movie while giving Logan the tour Xavier says Scott and Jean were some of his first students...  ::)

I can't abide what you pointed out about white queen, or beast transforming in the prequel even though he's shown to still be normal in the 1st movie, among other things.  >:(

In any event, I will take this movie as it comes and see if it is good or not.  Like I did with Wolverine.  I was even willing to forgive the Wolverine movie an awful lot.  Until Deadpool had swords magically appear from his wrists and lasers shooting from his eyes.  At that point I just sighed and let the movie spiral into its ending.

QFT!

Though I thought Ryan Renolds was excellently cast as deadpool, that was the same point in the movie I said, "WHY?" Lol!

On a randoml note I loved  how Liev Schreiber played sabretooth, but I wish they would have at least hinted at blond hair.  :D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

I like a lot of the beginning of the movie.  And I liked the casting.  I thought that was great.  It was typical though.  They had this great setup and great set of actors.  A nice budget, a big audience.  So, they decide, hmmm, a movie about mutants with extraordinary powers running a muck just isn't enough.  We really need to find a way to jump this shark and jump it in a big way.  Kind of like the end of the first Hulk movie.

The Dude

I'm a firm believer in Spiderman 1 and 2 being the best comic movies ever (with #2 getting the top spot).

After that I'd probably go Superman II (Kneel Before Zod)

and then in no particular order I like X-Men 2, Iron Man, the newest Hulk, and a lot of the Batmans (including Adam West) although of course Batman 4 with Mr. Freeze might be the worst move ever made.

Palatinus

I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate Elijah Wood.  He ruins the Spider-Man movies for me.  Just totally ruins them.  Like he ruins the Lord of the Rings for me.  And anything he is ever in.  Superman II is pretty good, but not without some serious flaws.  Zod was great though.  I liked the last season of Smallville that centered around Zod.  I think they did a great job with him and they did not leave out "kneel before Zod".

Yeah, Batman 4 could have been awesome if they had good writing and directing.  It looks like a great cast and collection of villains, but they really really really screwed the pooch on that one.

Ranerdar

What does Elijah Wood have to do with Spider-Man?

Palatinus

Quote from: Ranerdar on April 11, 2011, 12:39:47 PM
What does Elijah Wood have to do with Spider-Man?

Probably nothing unless you are stupid like me and forget that Elijah Wood and Tobey Maguire are different people.  I hate them both for the same reasons though.  They are both sniveling, whining, little weaselly-men that ruin my favorite stuff.

Ranerdar

Fair enough.

Don't feel too bad. My wife mixes actors and actresses up all the time. It's kind of amusing some times.

Palatinus

I usually don't, but there are a few that I do.  I'm usually the one correcting other people's mistaken actors names.  But seriously, I can't re-watch the Spider-Man movies because any scene with Peter Parker makes me want to kill something.  I really like everything else in the first two movies though, especially Doctor Octopus.