Comic Book Movies (Live Action)

Started by Palatinus, April 02, 2011, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaphist

I've long since confused Matt Damon with Mark Walberg for some reason.

Palatinus

Quote from: metaphist on April 11, 2011, 01:00:55 PM

I think it is because they have similar acting styles, play a lot of similar parts, and have some of the same facial features.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 11, 2011, 01:00:40 PM
I can't re-watch the Spider-Man movies because any scene with Peter Parker makes me want to kill something.  I really like everything else in the first two movies though, especially Doctor Octopus.

Woah!  :o That's pretty strong/harsh!  :D

I thought Toby may have been a little wimpy at times, but he was supposed to represent the geek with power.  You know a regular guy with bills due, best/worst-friend/enemy, and girl problems while at the same time dealing with the whole, "with great power..." mantle.  He did make the wisecracks and stuff from time to time.  As far as being true to the character I would think critics might look at as a question of degree as opposed all out disgust.  :D
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Ranerdar

I have a friend who still has trouble with Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Quote from: Ranerdar on April 11, 2011, 05:58:54 PM

Me too!

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 11, 2011, 05:57:23 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on April 11, 2011, 01:00:40 PM
I can't re-watch the Spider-Man movies because any scene with Peter Parker makes me want to kill something.  I really like everything else in the first two movies though, especially Doctor Octopus.

Woah!  :o That's pretty strong/harsh!  :D

I thought Toby may have been a little wimpy at times, but he was supposed to represent the geek with power.  You know a regular guy with bills due, best/worst-friend/enemy, and girl problems while at the same time dealing with the whole, "with great power..." mantle.  He did make the wisecracks and stuff from time to time.  As far as being true to the character I would think critics might look at as a question of degree as opposed all out disgust.  :D

Nothing about Toby is appealing to me for the part.  Yeah, he could pull off high school Peter, but definitely not adult Peter.  More than that though, I really can't stand him on-screen.  Just a big let-down.  I am really looking forward to the reboot.  Just please god don't let it go the way the second Punisher movie did.

gameplan.exe

I am that friend  :-\

Post Merge: July 22, 2011, 04:18:00 PM

Also, I loved Toby's Peter Parker. I really did. I even liked the direction of the 3rd movie, when he went emo. I thought it was a perfect modernization of the mood swing Peter went through with the symbiote suit.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on April 12, 2011, 01:17:54 PM
Also, I loved Toby's Peter Parker. I really did. I even liked the direction of the 3rd movie, when he went emo. I thought it was a perfect modernization of the mood swing Peter went through with the symbiote suit.

I have heard people make some positive analyses about the third movie although that the first I've heard of someone liking emo Peter.  I can see people liking these movies and liking Toby.  I really don't like him and I can't separate that from his performance.  The good thing is they made three of these movies for people who like them and they are making new ones for people who didn't, so everyone wins.  And I really have to give the Spider-Man movie franchise credit because without them I don't think we would have seen so many well-done super-hero movies.  And I did like these movies well-enough when I first watched them in theaters.  It was just so amazing to see Spider-Man on the big screen swinging around.  I think I have just raised my standards since then because of how good comic book movies have become, in no small part thanks to the Spider-Man movies.  So for me, they raised a bar that they no longer can reach.  In any event, I'm always a sucker for superhero stuff.  I've watched even the really bad movies so I can appreciate where the ones I don't like are still decent movies that other people can like.

Ranerdar

Quote from: ncannelora on April 12, 2011, 01:16:31 PM

I am that friend  :-\

Ok, I have two friends with this problem.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Quote from: Palatinus on April 02, 2011, 12:53:30 PM
I think comic book movies have gotten better lately even if there is also an increase of the cut and paste movies being made.  I am really excited about seeing Thor but I couldn't care less about the Green Lantern movie and that is nothing to do with the character and everything to do with how they appear to have put no work into the movie to make it stand out.

For me, my favorite comic book movies so far are:

Batman (1989)
The Dark Knight
Blade, Blade II
Constantine
Elektra
From Hell
Hellboy, Hellboy II
Hulk, Incredible Hulk
Iron Man, Iron Man 2
Judge Dredd
The Losers
The Punisher 2004
Red
Sin City
Spawn
Watchmen

So I will add Thor, X-Men:  First Class, and Captain America to my list.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: steve2275 on March 28, 2012, 09:59:26 PM
*is the only one who liked ang's hulk movie*

Not the only one. I quite liked it. I was hugely disappointed that the Norton version wasn't a proper sequel. I liked them both, Ang Lee's was an interesting Jekyll and Hyde piece. I preferred Eric Bana as Banner over Edward Norton. Now, while I believe Norton is the better actor by far, Bana made a better Bruce Banner.

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 28, 2012, 10:27:20 PM

Not the only one. I quite liked it. I was hugely disappointed that the Norton version wasn't a proper sequel. I liked them both, Ang Lee's was an interesting Jekyll and Hyde piece. I preferred Eric Bana as Banner over Edward Norton. Now, while I believe Norton is the better actor by far, Bana made a better Bruce Banner.

-BBH

What do you think about the switch from Norton to Ruffalo for the Avengers film?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

-BBH

I actually liked the first one a lot - so much, in fact, that I've yet to see the second one.  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 29, 2012, 11:15:37 AM

-BBH

I actually liked the first one a lot - so much, in fact, that I've yet to see the second one.  :-\

Really? You are the first person that I've heard say that  and I don't mean it as an insult....I will say IMO I am like BBH I wish it would have been set in a sequel format but Norton was excellent and I would have loved to see him reprise his role of Banner.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on March 29, 2012, 11:29:35 AM
Really? You are the first person that I've heard say that  and I don't mean it as an insult....I will say IMO I am like BBH I wish it would have been set in a sequel format but Norton was excellent and I would have loved to see him reprise his role of Banner.

yeah, I think it suffered a littler personal-backlash from me. It became so popular, and people liked it so much more, that my knee-jerk reaction was to avoid it  :-\
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27