X-Men: First Class Movie - Possible Spoilers

Started by Palatinus, June 08, 2011, 10:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

I saw the movie and I definitely have mixed feelings.  Overall, I would say that I liked it.  I did enjoy an awful lot of the movie and the things I didn't like are likely nitpicking.  I don't feel like this movie could possibly be canon with the first three X-Men movies, but it could be canon with Wolverine:  Origins.  Not because there was any similar overlap, but because of a total lack of overlap.  I would really like it if they proceeded from this point for a new series of films.  The relationship between Xavier and Magneto was so well done.  Actually, this movie was almost entirely characterization.  The action sequences were sparse, but well worth it.  I have to say it was my favorite of the X-Men movies, though my friend I saw it with still feels like the second one was the stronger film.

Ranerdar

I think if you look at it as a non Earth-616 timeline, it's quite good. Yes, somethings vary from the comics but it's an alternate universe. Now, it also helps that I've never been a huge fan of the X-Men anyway.

Also, I don't think this can be in the same continuity with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Emma Frost was like 20 in Origins and she's like 30 in First Class, which is years before Origins.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 09, 2011, 11:43:34 AM
I think if you look at it as a non Earth-616 timeline, it's quite good. Yes, somethings vary from the comics but it's an alternate universe. Now, it also helps that I've never been a huge fan of the X-Men anyway.

Also, I don't think this can be in the same continuity with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Emma Frost was like 20 in Origins and she's like 30 in First Class, which is years before Origins.

Officially they've declared that it's part of the existing film series. But they butchered the continuity.

Of course, if you remove Origins: Wolverine and X-Men 3, then this movie does fit with the continuity a little better. Matthew Vaughan also slagged X-men 3 when it came out (he was attached to direct before Brett Ratner got the job) saying he could have done a much better job. So I have to wonder if they deliberately made this one planning to ignore the events of X-men 3 and Origins: Wolverine.

Still. I'd have preferred a total reboot, with the actual original X-men Team, but I love the idea of setting it in the 60s.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 09, 2011, 11:43:34 AM

I know this helped my brother get over the non-canon aspects.

I still felt pretty disinterested, even thinking of it this way. Because it doesn't have Gambit (always a selling point) and because it doesn't have the Original Team, it just didn't have the same draw for me. I'm sure I'll see it, but as for movies I want to see in the theater, I think this will remain low on my list.  :-\
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Ranerdar

Oh and I thought the casting was done really well, with the exception of January Jones. She's horrible!
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Palatinus

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 09, 2011, 01:54:33 PM
Oh and I thought the casting was done really well, with the exception of January Jones. She's horrible!

I really loved the casting and didn't care about Emma's character at all.  She was in the movie for the same reason she is in the comics.

I think the whole continuity thing is really a non-issue for me.  When I pick up an X-Men comic every so often they have such convoluted excuses for everything they ret-con that it's impossible for me to take continuity seriously in comics.  I also didn't mind that the movie wasn't the "Original Team" X-Men.  It was really cool seeing Xavier at that age.  The whole idea of him being young and into women was awesome.  I loved how he used his abilities throughout as well.  Also, his relationship with Mystique was terrific.  And of course Magneto was incredible.

The Dude

I thought this movie was fantastic. So far my favorite of the summer and the best X-men film to date imo. I remembered when I heard they were making this I was just like "why?", because X-men 3 was god-awful and then they're using third stringers like Banshee and Havok. But I love the Hellfire Club so I wanted to check it out and it was so much more than I expected. I was particularly pleased with how the Magneto stuff turned out. I think by far the best example of evolving a hero into his obvious destiny as a villain I've ever seen (miles better than Anakin-Vader in the Star Wars prequels or Luthor in Smallville) with an ending was just one note-perfect emotional punch after another.

Ranerdar

Quote from: Palatinus on June 09, 2011, 05:11:20 PM
Quote from: Ranerdar on June 09, 2011, 01:54:33 PM

I really loved the casting and didn't care about Emma's character at all.  She was in the movie for the same reason she is in the comics.

But if she's only there to look good in skimpy clothes, they could have got someone more attractive to do it.

Nate Grey

I really wanted to hate this movie, especially because Fox has deviated from the comics way too much with X-Men and Wolverine, but I must admit I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. The actors portraying Xavier and Magneto had a lot to do with it and the way their characters were portrayed in the movie completely sold it to me. I had to tell myself that this was an alternate X-men world and left it at that.