Dark Knight Rises... well he tries, and then falls flat.

Started by BigBadHarve, July 30, 2012, 05:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Anyone else here see the Dark Knight Rises?

To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. What a waste.

F*** you Christopher Nolan... F*** you.

-BBH

Kal-el

Really? I loved it. A few missteps, and it definitely requires a little more suspension of disbelief than the other two, but I still thought it was a fantastic film.

Nostalgic

There were some major things that hurt it. I'm surprised to say this but catwoman was the highlight for me.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

Quote from: BigBadHarve on July 30, 2012, 05:58:41 PM
Anyone else here see the Dark Knight Rises?

To say that I was disappointed would be a gross understatement. What a waste.

F*** you Christopher Nolan... F*** you.

-BBH

What specifically didn't you like?  I loved the movie.  It tied some of my favorite Batman story lines together in a really neat way.

***Spoilers below***

I thought I would be disappointed if Batman lived in the end, but that was made to work too.

Kal-el

Even more spoilers..

I agree Palatinus. I was expecting them to kill him. Then happy when they did. Then even happier with the ending they did give us.

BigBadHarve

Because of the sheer magnitude of the flaws in this movie, I could write endlessly on why this is a stupid movie, but I'll keep it brief.

The film is loaded with big, ambitious ideas. And while I can appreciate that, ideas alone do not a story make. There's minimal refinement here. None of this s*** makes a lick of sense. That's for starters. The plot holes in this film are so large you could fly the Batwing through them. The situations and storyline also no sense at all. The characters make no logical decisions. Nolan's supposed take on 'realism' was clearly chucked right out the window. I mean, you saw hints of that in the Dark Knight, but they went hog wild with this one making it as implausible as possible.

The film 'Batman & Robin' was an absolute cheesefest, completely camp and stupid - but at least it knew what it was, the filmmakers for that atrocity at least knew they were making a campy film and had fun with it. This movie gives us a ridiculously overblown story, but expects us to swallow it.

**SPOILERS**

A few points.

- Bruce's injuries. No cartilage = no walky. Sorry. That stuff doesn't grow back. A magical leg brace would make movement possible, but full agility? Not quite. And sorry, you can't cure a broken back with a punch to the spine! There's no such thing as a 'dislocated' back. You don't 'pop' it back into place and do a few push ups to feel better.

- Bane. Never mind that Nolan got Bane all wrong. That wasn't Bane. In the previous films, he gave us his take on other major characters - But he kept the essence of who and what they were. Bane was simply not Bane. That wouldn't have bothered me as much if the character made any frickin' sense! (And I'm not talking about his voice!)  His plan is to blow up Gotham with a nuclear bomb. So once he gets his bomb, his master plan is to cripple Bruce, send him to some hole in the ground 'Hell on Earth' type prison where it's dog-eat-dog and everyone is irredeemably evil (except of course, the charitable bunkmate Bane kindly sets up for Bruce, and the equally charitable prison witch doctor, oh, and the support group of prisoners who cheer Bruce on as he makes his escape attempt.) They obviously fed him and kept him healthy for those months he was there too. How very nice of the scum of the earth, no?

Anyway, so Bane's ultimate goal is to blow up the city, but because he's eeeeeevil, he decides to give the citizens hope of a rescue. (Interesting, because he himself makes a comment early on about the stupidity of threatening to shoot a man BEFORE pushing him out of a plane, and here he has an equally ludricrous plan of making people feel hope before nuking them anyway). So he has a couple of trucks run the bomb around town for 5 months. (I guess these trucks didn't hear about the gas shortage, because other people were reduced to siphoning what gas they could for an emergency escape.)

There was apparently a decoy truck in case some hero decided to hijack and defuse the bomb (which of course happens). If this was even a remote possibility, why on Earth have the trucks within WALKING DISTANCE OF ONE ANOTHER AT ALL TIMES!

- Are you telling me that a city of 30 million (as stated by Fox) only has a police force of 3000? And that the terrorists eager to hunt and kill the cops on the surface would find it in their hearts to provide food (and obviously bathing and laundering supplies) to the 3000 trapped in the sewers for 5 months?

- Really? The US government is so powerless that a group of about 100 armed terrorists can hold a city of 30 million hostage for 5 months without needing a crippled vigilante to save the day? You know, they have legions of special ops guys with skills that rival Batman who could have snuck into Gotham and captured that nuke before Bane knew what hit him.

- Bruce's fiery Bat Signal. Very pretty, especially at night. I won't even go in to the question of how Bruce got back to Gotham from the middle east (or wherever, they never do say) with no money. That didn't bother me. In fact, I don't see it as a hole simply because A) I don't doubt Bruce squirrelled away a small fortune for that day he was discovered and needed to go into hiding and B) he's a master of stealth and very resourceful. Getting home was probably not a problem.

I digress - If I were a villain planning on blowing up a city in the next 12 hours, and the one hero I believed could stop me just announced his return. Why wouldn't I press that button? It was clear from their actions that they weren't planning to escape, Bane and Talia (another character they totally dropped the ball on) should have pressed that button straight away. Instead, they found every lame, contrived excuse to delay and give the heroes time to save the day. IT MAKES NO SENSE!

- Robin. Really? F*** you Nolan. You've said for years that you'd never use Robin. Christian Bale has stated he'd never be in a Batman movie with Robin. Somewhere you changed your mind, so instead of giving us the real Robin, you give us a stupid substitute that has nothing to do with the actual character! There are many ways they could have incorporated the proper Robin into the story without disrupting their (I use the term loosely) 'realistic' take on Batman. Instead, you insult the source. Not to mention, Blake wouldn't last a day as Batman.

Man, I'm getting irate just thinking about this!

That's really just the the tip of the Iceberg. I could go on about this for a very long time about uninteresting characters, nonsensical plot devices and boring villains. But I'll stop, because I've devoted enough of my time to this. I loved Batman Begins (best of the series) and I liked Dark Knight (flawed, but still mesmerising). This movie is a slap to the face.

Yes, there are some things they did well. I really liked Catwoman. Both how they wrote the character and Hathaway's portrayal. I could have watched whole movie of Batman and Catwoman playing cat and (flying) mouse. They had good chemistry. Her magical 'clean slate' storyline was stupid from a logical POV, but they had the relationship down.

Many of the ideas look great on paper, but they just don't pan out. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but suspension of logic and intellect is required for this one.

Okay, enough of that. Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

-BBH

drdeath25

For once i agree with Captain Canuck, this movie was terrrrrrriible.

1. Catwoman was not sexy... this is Anne Hathaway and they made her not sexy... how is that even possible?
2. Everyone knows Ras Al Ghul has a daughter, what a twist that was...
3. Bane dies with one shot? Why was batman trying to fight him with brute strength? why not just use some of his tech on him.
4. No utility belt
5. Where did alfred go? He really left Bruce Wayne all alone in a time of need like that? I thought he loved him
6. WAAAAY too long, about halfway through I kept looking at my watch hoping the time would go faster. this moving was boring.
7. How did Bruce go from an asshole that didnt care he lost all of Talia's money, to haaving sex with her by a fireplace all the sudden, did i miss somthing?
8. Catwoman and Batman had a thing together during the movie? did i miss somthing?
9. After all the bashing of Batmans voice during the first two movies, they made it worse for this movie. Nolan is trolling us.
10. Many more i dont feel like typing....

Very dissapointed when I saw this movie.

- DRDEATH25

Nate Grey

Count me in with those who were disappointed with the movie. BBH and DrD pretty much summed up my complaints. I couldn't get past the Batman injuries, the lack of a utility belt and use of bat gadgets to one up his opponents, the whole Robin fiasco...agh! I can also go on and on. Here's hoping the next reboot can follow the source material a lot closer. Hey, its been working for Marvel.  ;)

KObossy

The Watchmen Ultimate Cut just called and said The Dark Knight Rises is too long! Agree with the last 3 posts....except Hathaway WAS sexy!

drdeath25

Of course Hathaway is very sexy, i just felt like they didn't use that to its full potential in this movie.

She was waaaaay more sexy in the movie Havoc  ;) ;D :-*