Specials played defensively

Started by gameplan.exe, January 03, 2011, 04:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

There's nothing that says you cannot play multiple specials defensively to defeat an attack, right? I mean, it's clear that I can play a shift (AC) then an avoid (AG). But, with Domino, could I play FALL INTO PLACE (AM) and TRIPWIRE (BS) and then a Power card?
I can't find anything contrary, it just seems like a really good play...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on January 03, 2011, 04:24:14 PM
There's nothing that says you cannot play multiple specials defensively to defeat an attack, right? I mean, it's clear that I can play a shift (AC) then an avoid (AG). But, with Domino, could I play FALL INTO PLACE (AM) and TRIPWIRE (BS) and then a Power card?
I can't find anything contrary, it just seems like a really good play...

You'd be correct, sir. It is a legal play. You still need to block with an equal value power card, though, regardless of the bonuses in play. So you can't use that +2 to all actions to block a level 8 power card with a level 6 power card and get the tripwire effect. BUT, you could use that bonus to counteract a bonus from something like a teamwork, to use a 6 to block another 6 and get the tripwire effect to hit the opponent back.

-BBH

a_noble_kaz

BigBadHarve

Quote from: a_noble_kaz on January 07, 2011, 04:51:15 AM
wow. that's awesome.

Well, if you can get it to work, it is. For best effect, you need to be able to shift the attacks over to the character playing the Tripwire card. (Elektra, Strong Guy, Cerebro and Mister Miracle also have the cards.)

Try playing her with an energy/fighting character as a teammate, and get an image inducer in play. Then you can move any attack you want to her to utilize the tripwire.

Or use Madripoor as a homebase, and get Elektra going. Madripoor's inherent means not having to worry about opponent's teamwork bonuses. Psylocke and/or Mandarin have the energy stat to activate the image inducer. Hell, put Marauders in your battlesite for vertigo to hedge your bets.

Seems like a lot of work to get that strategy in play, but when it works, it works.

-BBH

a_noble_kaz

Now, consider this:

You have a team of Zealot, Wonder Woman, Elektra, and Domino (3-stat) in Reserve (sensing a theme...?).
You are using Madripoor as a Battlesite.
Your opponent is using Daily Bugle as a Homebase with Spider Man, Scarlet Spider, Venom, and Black Cat in Reserve (all 3-stat).
You are playing with Separation Anxiety and your opponent is playing with Maximum Carnage.

You draw the event Do Not Discard duplicates, and your opponent draws the event Move Reserve to Frontline.

You draw the following hand: 8f, 7f, 6f, 6f, Wolverine Activator, 4s, Tripwire, WILDC.A.T., and you have a 7f placed to Domino.
On your first turn you play the Wolverine Activator to play Canucklehead on Domino.

On your opponent's turn he plays a 6f e/s teamwork from Scarlet Spider on Wonder Woman, you avoid it with WILDC.A.T..
Your opponent follows up with a 6e that was placed to his Spider Man also on Wonder Woman, you play Tripwire and defend it with a 6f (using Canucklehead to defeat the teamwork bonus), your 6f hits Spider Man.
Your opponent then follows up with a 7s that was placed to his Venom also on Wonder Woman, you defend it using your 7f (again using Canucklehead to defeat the teamwork bonus), and since Tripwire is still in play on Domino your 7f hits Venom.

Is this scenario legal?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: a_noble_kaz on January 11, 2011, 04:30:39 AM
Now, consider this:

You have a team of Zealot, Wonder Woman, Elektra, and Domino (3-stat) in Reserve (sensing a theme...?).
You are using Madripoor as a Battlesite.
Your opponent is using Daily Bugle as a Homebase with Spider Man, Scarlet Spider, Venom, and Black Cat in Reserve (all 3-stat).
You are playing with Separation Anxiety and your opponent is playing with Maximum Carnage.

You draw the event Do Not Discard duplicates, and your opponent draws the event Move Reserve to Frontline.

You draw the following hand: 8f, 7f, 6f, 6f, Wolverine Activator, 4s, Tripwire, WILDC.A.T., and you have a 7f placed to Domino.
On your first turn you play the Wolverine Activator to play Canucklehead on Domino.

On your opponent's turn he plays a 6f e/s teamwork from Scarlet Spider on Wonder Woman, you avoid it with WILDC.A.T..
Your opponent follows up with a 6e that was placed to his Spider Man also on Wonder Woman, you play Tripwire and defend it with a 6f (using Canucklehead to defeat the teamwork bonus), your 6f hits Spider Man.
Your opponent then follows up with a 7s that was placed to his Venom also on Wonder Woman, you defend it using your 7f (again using Canucklehead to defeat the teamwork bonus), and since Tripwire is still in play on Domino your 7f hits Venom.

Is this scenario legal?

I would say yes. It's certainly an obscure possibility, but legal.

Canucklehead allows for you to avoid any attack for anyone on the team with level 6, 7 and 8 power cards. And of course the Tripwire states that you need only block a power card with an equal level power card. There's nothing in the metas that contradicts any of that.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Obscure, yes, but in our Partners game last Saturday, this basically happened! it was c-c-crazy! My partner was the one suffering - and that sucks - but it was pretty awesome to behold!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

a_noble_kaz

Yeah, obscure, but that didn't stop it from happening to me!
It was during our Partners game, and my partner passed Canucklehead to my Battlesite (there are details about this in my 2vs2 thread) and those two events were drawn in the battle.
I was so excited by how awesome it was that my hands were shaking as I made the play!
Also, we did end up recording some of our game last Saturday, including this cool play I made. Our friend Brad said he would post it today when he gets off work. I'll keep the board updated when the videos get posted.