A few questions about defending

Started by Kal-el, February 10, 2011, 01:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kal-el

In my ongoing quest to fix how I've been playing, I have a few questions about defending.

1. Special cards which act as power cards can only be used to attack, unless the card specifically states it can be used to defend, right?

2. When a special that allows a follow up attack is defended, the follow up attack can still be made, unless the special states 'if successful' as a qualifier, right?

3. However, defensively negating a special with a follow up would, in my mind, prevent the follow up from occuring. Is this correct?

4. On a similar token, is it true that if a special is negated all parts of the special are canceled. For example, if a special that causes the attacking character to not attack for rest of battle, like Banshee's Super Scream is negated, are they allowed to attack for the rest of battle?

5. Finally, I'm a little confused on the Any Hero Confusion. It says avoid all attacks made with a teamwork. Since each attack is played separately before the next, would you wait to use Confusion until all 2-3 attacks are down? I'm wondering since if you played Confusion against the teamwork card, then why would your opponent make more than the one required follow up attack knowing the card will be defended?

Thanks.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Kal-el on February 10, 2011, 01:25:50 PM
In my ongoing quest to fix how I've been playing, I have a few questions about defending.

1. Special cards which act as power cards can only be used to attack, unless the card specifically states it can be used to defend, right?

2. When a special that allows a follow up attack is defended, the follow up attack can still be made, unless the special states 'if successful' as a qualifier, right?

3. However, defensively negating a special with a follow up would, in my mind, prevent the follow up from occuring. Is this correct?

4. On a similar token, is it true that if a special is negated all parts of the special are canceled. For example, if a special that causes the attacking character to not attack for rest of battle, like Banshee's Super Scream is negated, are they allowed to attack for the rest of battle?

5. Finally, I'm a little confused on the Any Hero Confusion. It says avoid all attacks made with a teamwork. Since each attack is played separately before the next, would you wait to use Confusion until all 2-3 attacks are down? I'm wondering since if you played Confusion against the teamwork card, then why would your opponent make more than the one required follow up attack knowing the card will be defended?

Thanks.

1. Yes. They will all state whether it can be used to attack/defend. If not, then it's an attack only.

2. Yes.

3. Again yes. A negate defends the card and cancels the follow up(s).

4. Also yes. A negate essentially removes all effects from existence, good or bad. The exception to that is - if you are hit by a card like Heroes for Hire: White Tiger, which makes you discard two cards. You discard the two, and then for whatever reason choose to negate it after the fact, you don't undo the loss of the cards.

5. Think of the confusion as a 'Negate for teamworks.' When an opponent plays a teamwork, and you play confusion, it avoids the teamwork AND cancels the follow up. It doesn't 'avoid' all the attacks, it avoids the first attack only, and prevents the follow up, but your opponent doesn't have to discard the power cards he would have used.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Good questions and answers. I like seeing questions posted because more than likely I have the same ones or they serve to double check what I think is the right answer.  :)