Events and Defensive Actions

Started by gameplan.exe, June 17, 2011, 08:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

If your Reserve character is attacked, that character can play a defensive special to protect themselves, right? Even if the card isn't normally playable from Reserve (like an AG, or a DO), right? I'm sure I've read that somewhere. So, based on that premise...

If this Event is in effect:

Quote* HELLFIRE CLUB ATTACKED!  <MC> {R}       Nightcrawler
        Any attack made on a Front Line Hero may be moved to Reserve Hero,
            who may defend.

and I shift an attack to my Reserve character, I would be able to use the following cards defensively from Reserve, right?

Quote* ROCK & ROLL (BS) <PS> {VR} [OPD]
        For remainder of battle, if Strong Guy can block a Power card attack
         with an equal value Power card, Strong Guy's Power card hits attacker.

* FREELANCE SPY (BG) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        Team gains +2 to all actions.

That seems clear to me. But what about if I'm using one of these Events?

Quote* File #061906.08  {C}
         Reserve Character may use Power cards to defend any Front Line
             Character this battle.

* BREAKOUT  <MC> {R}                      Venom
        Reserve Hero may use Power Cards to defend any front line Hero this
            battle.

The initial attack wasn't exactly made on the Reserve, they're just the one who is defending. But, with the BG-, the MRules do say it can be played defensively if the bonus is needed to block the attack. As for the BS-, it seems legit, too. He is, in fact, blocking the attack with a Power card, and the Special is defensively played... Seems like they can, I'm just not certain. Although, they seem like great Events for Muir Island or Asteroid "M"  :)

Anyway, does anyone know of a ruling? Otherwise, what are your thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

This is a great question in that it is integral to determining implications in decks everywhere like such as, ok well basically the main thing to consider here is that whether or not it's the reason for the substance, in fact the very idea regarding rules, for example the very question whether or not at least as soon as we know that actually what it basically boils down to is that any mere assumption about examining a reminder for how things are interpreted for this particular incidence basically sums it all up. 

I'm basing my interpretation for this on the rule book, formally known as:

The Overpower Rule Book

Which was published by

QuoteFleer/Skybox Entertainment

and has

Quoterules

in it. Hope this helps!

Overtime

Shoutouts to Onslaught for reaching Full Member status, only 251 more to go for Hero. Looking forward to it.

Palatinus

Quote from: Onslaught on June 17, 2011, 08:48:24 PM
This is a great question in that it is integral to determining implications in decks everywhere like such as, ok well basically the main thing to consider here is that whether or not it's the reason for the substance, in fact the very idea regarding rules, for example the very question whether or not at least as soon as we know that actually what it basically boils down to is that any mere assumption about examining a reminder for how things are interpreted for this particular incidence basically sums it all up. 

The Overpower Rule Book

I don't get it?  Are there specific things in the rulebook that answer these questions?  If so, can you point out what they are?
Which was published by

and has

Quoterules

in it. Hope this helps!

gameplan.exe

The Overpower Rule Book

Which was published by

and has

Quoterules

in it. Hope this helps!

I don't see what you're gettin' at...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Oscorp

The Overpower Rule Book

Which was published by

and has

Quoterules

in it. Hope this helps!

I don't see how this is relevant or helpful in any way to the original post.  Why would you bother doing this?

I believe that both are being played correctly.  I don't think it matters much with The Strong guy card, because almost no one uses him, but that would be an interesting strategy for Maverick.
I'm rubber and you're glue...

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Oscorp on June 18, 2011, 08:59:08 AM
I believe that both are being played correctly.  I don't think it matters much with The Strong guy card, because almost no one uses him, but that would be an interesting strategy for Maverick.

That's pretty much what I thought. I haven't mentioned it, yet, but I don't think anyone in my group will care. Unless it means a killer play in the moment  ;D  Mostly I wondered if anyone saw any rulings on this. The rule book isn't clear on it. The only direction it gives is where it only says that I have to place anything that I can't normally play from Reserve, which isn't an issue in this case because I'd be placing both the 'BG' and the 'BS' in these cases. Then it says that when the Reserve is attacked, they may take a defensive action... that's where it gets tricky, though.

Those last 2 Events don't cause the Reserve to be attacked, but they are allowing the Reserve to take a defensive action - using Power cards to defend... I guess that can be one point of logic. Where it says "using Power cards..." is it saying a Power card by itself (i.e., no Universe cards, Double Shots, etc), or does it mean any defense involving a Power card? This would be similar to the ruling difference between the Inherent Ability for X-World and the (nerf'd) effect of Holographic Attackers.

Maybe Deathbird has the answer...? These 2 Events I'm questioning basically make it the same as Deathbird's Inherent Ability. Would she be able to play a Power card with a Universe to defend her Front Line? Would she be able to play a 'BG' from a Battlesite to defend her Front Line? Or a 'BS'? That could be brutal and amazing...

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:19:06 PM

maybe this is more indicative...

The Muir Island and Asteroid "M" Aspect cards... can I draw after playing a Power card (Int or Fgt, respectively) with another card? e.g., if I play Professor X's BG and an Int Power card, do I get to draw? Or if I play Magneto's 'AM' and a Fgt Power card, do I get to draw? What about using a Doubleshot with either of those? Or using Universe (Basic or Training)?

The reason I bring up these Aspect cards is because the verbiage is similar here, too ("... using a [type] Power card..."):
     * GENETIC RESEARCH (C1) <XM> {U} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, Muir Island's team may draw 1 card from top of
            Draw Pile immediately after blocking an attack using an Intellect
            Power card. Discard if duplicate.

* ORBITAL HIDEOUT (C1) <XM> {U} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, Asteroid "M"'s team may draw 1 card from top of
            Draw Pile immediately after blocking an attack using a Fighting

- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on June 18, 2011, 12:22:02 PM
maybe this is more indicative...

The Muir Island and Asteroid "M" Aspect cards... can I draw after playing a Power card (Int or Fgt, respectively) with another card? e.g., if I play Professor X's BG and an Int Power card, do I get to draw? Or if I play Magneto's 'AM' and a Fgt Power card, do I get to draw? What about using a Doubleshot with either of those? Or using Universe (Basic or Training)?

The reason I bring up these Aspect cards is because the verbiage is similar here, too ("... using a [type] Power card..."):
     * GENETIC RESEARCH (C1) <XM> {U} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, Muir Island's team may draw 1 card from top of
            Draw Pile immediately after blocking an attack using an Intellect

* ORBITAL HIDEOUT (C1) <XM> {U} [OPD]
        For remainder of game, Asteroid "M"'s team may draw 1 card from top of
            Draw Pile immediately after blocking an attack using a Fighting

I think in the instance of the BG or the AM it is still the power card doing the blocking.  Even though you are playing the special as a defensive action, the power card is actually the only card blocking the attack as the specials are not specifically linked.  I don't know if there is a specific ruling on effects that are triggered not being triggered by cards that are not being played by themselves.  The wording for the effect of the Aspect cards doesn't seem to differentiate how the power card is being modified or combined, but that is just an interpretation based on reading the card.  I don't know how that plays out in the context of the rules.