Battlesite attacked, secondary effects

Started by gameplan.exe, April 14, 2011, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

So, in reading the rules, it's my understanding that any Secondary Effects (SE) from special cards (if successful...) will take effect when the Hit lands on a Battlesite, as long as the SE is not based on "Target [character]"... This seems like a bit of strategy I've neglected to this point. In general, Battlesites are harder to defend than characters, in that, they're restricted much more.

So, if my understanding of the rule is correct, Juggernaut's BATTERING RAM would lose it's SE, since it says "target must", but Alpha Flight's PUCK would still count as an 8 vs. the Battlesite, when it lands.

In most cases, you are sacrificing the VT for this, but a few cards came to mind that seem well worth it to me:

Quote* NEURO-TOXIN (HO) <XM> {C}
        Acts as a level 6 Energy attack. If successful, Opponent is -4 to
            Venture.
Useful if you know they can block the 6 with an avoid, may be worth trying the Battlesite for the Venture effect.

Quote* MUTANT X (FI) <XM> {C}
        Acts as a level 3 Intellect attack. If successful, Havok may
            immediately draw 2 cards from top of Draw Pile. Discard if
            duplicate.
Great potential there, i think

Quote* INTESTINAL FORTITUDE (OA) <XM> {R} [OPD]
        Acts as a level 7 Strength attack. If successful, Opponent must sort
            through Draw Pile and discard first 3 Special cards into Dead Pile.
            Reshuffle Draw Pile.
This one seems to be the most useful, to me at least. This card is a killer early, regardless of the 7 itself.

Quote* TRACKING SENSES (OB) <MP> {X}
        Acts as a level 5 Intellect attack. If successful, Wolverine may sort
            through Draw Pile, select any Aspect card and play it immediately.
            Reshuffle Draw Pile.
Again, seems well worth the lost 5 Venture points. That's not really why we use this card, is it?

These are just the ones I thought of, there may be others out there.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Onslaught

Harpoon on the battlesite was a common and effective tactic. Benassi Rocket is good for this too.

Nostalgic

Fascinating....

I'll definitely look into more possibilities with that.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Onslaught on April 14, 2011, 04:44:28 PM
Harpoon on the battlesite was a common and effective tactic. Benassi Rocket is good for this too.

Didn't they remove that entirely? I remember being told that you had to target a front line character for any such effect....

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 14, 2011, 05:27:28 PM

Didn't they remove that entirely? I remember being told that you had to target a front line character for any such effect....

-BBH

I hope not! I only know what I was able to read in the Meta Rules, which essentially highlight the fact that the Battlesite is not a Character, so any SE that applies to a Character would be lost on a Battlesite...
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on April 14, 2011, 05:38:02 PM
Quote from: BigBadHarve on April 14, 2011, 05:27:28 PM

-BBH

I hope not! I only know what I was able to read in the Meta Rules, which essentially highlight the fact that the Battlesite is not a Character, so any SE that applies to a Character would be lost on a Battlesite...

Yeah, I was surprised when I read that myself, as I'd always been told that conditional secondary effects only apply when you target an actual character.

-BBH

Demacus

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on August 04, 2011, 02:58:48 PM
Benassi Rocket?

Definitely! Since it says, "Opponent must discard..." then its secondary would still take effect, even if it was the Battlesite that took the 7A.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27