Aspects and Specials

Started by Nostalgic, June 07, 2012, 05:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Does a BG special give a bonus to the numerical value of a apect like A-Next?

Can the any-character BQ special be used to retrieve an aspect card?

My guess was no to both questions but I was wondering what other thought. I guess the BG depends on whether the homebase counts as a teammate. (no?) Also I thought no on the BQ because the card retrieved has to be playable by the character and an aspect is only playable by the homebase.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on June 07, 2012, 05:58:46 PM
Does a BG special give a bonus to the numerical value of a apect like A-Next?

Can the any-character BQ special be used to retrieve an aspect card?

My guess was no to both questions but I was wondering what other thought. I guess the BG depends on whether the homebase counts as a teammate. (no?) Also I thought no on the BQ because the card retrieved has to be playable by the character and an aspect is only playable by the homebase.

I vote for yes on both, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I think it's silly to say that the Home Base is playing the Aspect, but I know that's how the rules are written. If that were the case, then why is it that a Character makes the follow up after playing A-Next? Or how is it that the Knights of Wundagore can be played defensively to protect characters? wouldn't it only protect the Home Base (which can't be attacked, lol)? See?

On the same note, if there's only one character left, and he's held with an AV-Special, I think it's silly that A-Next could be played.

Again, that's how I feel, but I'm pretty sure your instinct is correct on both questions, because I remember reading the same rules to which you alluded.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

I wanted to ask one more question on this old thread because I only got one opinion on my first two questions and hopefully others will respond to those as well. (Sort of an unofficial bump.)

Anyway, if you draw unusable power cards in a hand, due to higher stat characters being KO'd, are those cards discarded into the power pack as usual or are they discarded into the dead card pile? So if your last character is a max 6 fighter and you draw a 7 and 8 fighting power cards are they still discarded into the power pack?
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Jack

Unusable Power cards go into the dead pile if you draw it in your hand and it cannot be played.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Jack on September 20, 2012, 07:41:43 PM
Unusable Power cards go into the dead pile if you draw it in your hand and it cannot be played.

Thanks.

No comment on the 2 questions in my first post?  :'(

Jack

I missed it...

BG gives bonuses to all actions, and Aspects are included.

And there was something that BBH mentioned that the drawn card must be usable by the character who played the BQ.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jack on September 20, 2012, 08:49:45 PM
I missed it...

Does it? I was under the impression that aspects were played from the homebase, which is not part of the team....

-BBH

Jack

"Team" is ambiguous in this case, it could mean all the characters or it could mean the opposite of "Opponent".

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on September 21, 2012, 12:02:40 AM
Quote from: Jack on September 20, 2012, 08:49:45 PM
I missed it...

Does it? I was under the impression that aspects were played from the homebase, which is not part of the team....

-BBH

That's the heart of why I thought 'no' on both of the first 2 questions.  Any consensus here?