2 questions - about the reserve

Started by breadmaster, April 14, 2011, 12:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

1) a special is placed to the reserve from a previous battle.  you draw the same special in a later hand.  can you keep it, or not? (the special is playable from reserve)

2) sunfire's marvels card that lets him keep attacking if successful.  does this last for the battle, or the game?

Jack

For #1:
Cards Placed to the Reserve Character are not considered part of your Hand for purposes of discarding unless the Reserve Character has the ability to play those Placed cards during the battle (e.g., their Inherent Ability or the Special card allows them to play it from Reserve). Therefore, if the Reserve Character has the ability to play the card Placed to them during a battle, duplicates that are drawn in subsequent hands must still be discarded

For #2
Here's the picture if anyone wants to comment:

Going to say that the 'while in reserve' is the duration for the card.

gameplan.exe

I second the "while in Reserve" as the duration!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

This is the same as The Darkness - Shadow Motion.  Does anyone know if this falls under the duration rule?  It would seem to in which case the effect would only last the battle unless the special is one per deck.

Ranerdar

No clue what official determination will be. But, count me in as #3 for "while in reserve" as the duration.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

breadmaster

so there ya go rucker(if you're reading this)...you were correct on both accounts

i assumed the sunfire card fell under the 'non-opd therefore only the battle' rule

never knew about that discarding for reserve rule...is there a meta rule that states this, or did i just misinterpret the rules all along?

Jack

The rule isn't included in the Monumental rulebook, so I'm guessing it a tournament/Legion ruling.

Palatinus

As far as the discarding duplicates if they are playable while in reserve, I know I just read that in one of the rulebooks recently.

Jack

It isn't in the Japanese Image rulebook either.

Palatinus

From http://www.marveloverpower.com/Service/rules.htm

"Other Discarding Considerations —If any cards remain Placed (See Placing) on any Front Line Characters from a previous battle, they must be considered part of your Hand for purposes of discarding. In other words, if one of your Front Line Characters has a Power card with a Value of 6 already Placed on him when you draw your Hand, any Value 6 Power card you draw must be discarded. The same is true for any Placed Special cards or Universe cards. The exception to this rule is the cards Placed to the Reserve Character. Cards Placed to the Reserve Character are not considered part of your Hand for purposes of discarding unless the Reserve Character has the ability to play those Placed cards during the battle (e.g., their Inherent Ability or the Special card allows them to play it from Reserve). Therefore, if the Reserve Character has the ability to play the card Placed to them during a battle, duplicates that are drawn in subsequent hands must still be discarded "

I think this may be from the Image rule book.

Jack

That is indeed the text from the Monumental book.

The (Japanese) Image rulebook also has small text regarding other discarding considerations and it doesn't elaborate on anything about specials were usable by the reserve and discards.

The rules I got were released with OPO I think.

BigBadHarve

Officially, it falls under the duration rule. So, Sunfire is only able to attack for the battle in which his hit landed. Meta Rules confirm this, MT coded cards are listed as battle lasting.

-BBH

Nostalgic

@ BBH

Yet another reason to use your, "Play cards as written" house rule...  ::)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Palatinus

It's still not a bad card.  It's a special attack that you can safely have multiple copies of in a deck.  And if it hits you may get to play Sunfire's Atomic Flame that battle too.  So, it's a good card to draw out your opponent's defense if they see Atomic Flame placed on Sunfire.  I like cards that make the reserve easier to play.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on April 14, 2011, 11:23:36 AM
It's still not a bad card.  It's a special attack that you can safely have multiple copies of in a deck.  And if it hits you may get to play Sunfire's Atomic Flame that battle too.  So, it's a good card to draw out your opponent's defense if they see Atomic Flame placed on Sunfire.  I like cards that make the reserve easier to play.

Fo sho. Having 2 different attacks from Reserve is handy. Too bad he's a 20, though.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27