Is shifting a defense? Marrow's Battlebones

Started by AO user, February 21, 2015, 07:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO user

Marrow can draw a card if Battlebones is defended. Are AC specials like justice league of America "defending?" 

steve2275

no
if it was shifted then defended (avoided blocked)her card would take effect (unless it was negated)

AO user

But ACs count as defending Cyclops or Thor after they play FT special so I was wondering about this.

breadmaster

I'm gonna lean towards the draw.  if you play something defensively, it's defended, even if it hits

there are other wordings, like 'if successful', or 'if attack hits',  so I'd say they chose that wording

AO user

I just came across this on wiki for JW special
" Shifting the attack to another target is not considered defending the Special."       
but still in the thread on cyclops FT it DID count as a defense.

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/specific-cards/cyclops-focused-force/

joe_fixit

Sorry to shift the question but would it be legal to defend a JW with an EB special like Britain's Champion or Stars & Garters?

steve2275

Quote from: joe_fixit on February 27, 2015, 09:14:27 PM
Sorry to shift the question but would it be legal to defend a JW with an EB special like Britain's Champion or Stars & Garters?
http://overpower.ca/wiki/JW
http://overpower.ca/wiki/JZ
Not being defended with a Special card mean that the attack cannot be avoided with a defensive Special played in response to the attack that blocks or helps to block the attack, for example, no 'Avoid 1 attack' Specials, no Specials that grant a bonus to defense may be played in response to the attack, no Activators, etc. This does not affect any preset defensive Specials. For example, A character with an AH Special, character may not be attacked with Special cards for the remainder of the battle, already in play may not be attacked with this Special since the Special could not target them. But, if the character was attacked with this Special, an AH Special could not be played in response. The Special card may not be negated during the attack but could be negated later in the battle. Shifting the attack to another target is not considered defending the Special.

that help?

breadmaster

so yeah, you can send a jw to an EB, since it's not defending (played defensively)

that's a good find from the guide about defending a JW with a shift being legal.  JW also links to meta 44

Meta #44 When a card specifies what cards may (or may not) be used to defend it, this includes ALL cards used in the defense.

so again, this would be a good time for people to jump in to sort this out.  my lean would be towards NOT allowing a shift, but not very strongly

AO user

Quote from: breadmaster on March 01, 2015, 04:58:26 PM
so yeah, you can send a jw to an EB, since it's not defending (played defensively)

that's a good find from the guide about defending a JW with a shift being legal.  JW also links to meta 44

Meta #44 When a card specifies what cards may (or may not) be used to defend it, this includes ALL cards used in the defense.

so again, this would be a good time for people to jump in to sort this out.  my lean would be towards NOT allowing a shift, but not very strongly
Maybe we can discuss it Friday @ K2.  When shifted to EB it is not defended that's why it doesn't work on power leech.  I'm leaning toward ALLOWING the shift. It hits and no damage / venture is accrued.  Not defended AND not played in response to attack.  I lean towards the power card could also be shifted to PC version of EB.

On related note if opponent plays lil iceman KL to remove one or all your EBs, can you negate it?  Is that defending the card(s)?  The card text suggests no but wiki says yes. (" if  a Special is used to attack this Special, an AO card may be used to negate the attack")

and this thread answers some of this, yes?

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/specific-cards/stars-and-garters-(and-ebs)/msg16037/#msg16037