CD and CN Specials

Started by fennshysa, February 24, 2018, 01:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fennshysa

This is one of those rules I've never quite been clear on. Can CD and CN code specials be used defensively to avoid an attack? Or can they only be played on their own? The metarule lookup on overpower.ca didn't answer the question for me.  Thanks guys!

Ex:
CD - Only Fighting attacks may be played against Black Cat for remainder of battle.
CN - No Fighting Power cards may be played against Brood for remainder of battle.

justa

i have a paper copy of the "OverPower Guide to Specials" that i printed off the official site (back on 10/4/99).  it lists all the Special card codes that were used, whether each could be used offensively or defensively, their duration, and the associated meta-rules.  i looked around, but could not find the Guide online anymore.

according to that list, both MAY be used defensively.  we never had a problem with that, because neither code prevented the attacker from doing anything, they only affected how the defensing character may be attacked.  in support of this, i cite:

"meta-rule #24 - A Special which alters how a Character may be attacked can be played offensively or defensively.  Other text on the Special may force the card to be played one way or the other."

that being said, i also remember a discussion against that conclusion.  if memory serves, the argument used was something to the effect that "after the attacker has fired the gun, you can't decide that your character can't be attacked by guns ROB because the bullet is already in the air".   the group i played with did not agree with that opinion, as it affected BJ specials, and i think a few others.  our general rule was than "no's" and "only's" may be played defensively.

i hope that a player or two might let us know what their understanding of usage is in modern-day tournament play.