Activators Inherent Ability

Started by Jesse, April 10, 2012, 09:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

If we don't go by the Inherent Ability on a card when we use it as an Activator, then why is it ok to use a Beyonder card as an activator when the only thing that allows it to play other cards is the Inherent Ability on the card?
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Nostalgic

I think we only use the inherent as it applies to playing specials under the battlesite. Most inherents are irrelevant in that context. So a beyonder will let you pull any non-opd, a dark beast will let you play any beast special, storm: neutralized will let you pull any storm or morlock special, etc.

The only other posibility I could think of that might be wierd is if a character used as an activator had some sort of inherent that gaves +1 to fighting power cards (for instance) and a special that let you combine it and a power card. (an AE type special)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 10, 2012, 11:24:16 AM
I think we only use the inherent as it applies to playing specials under the battlesite. Most inherents are irrelevant in that context. So a beyonder will let you pull any non-opd, a dark beast will let you play any beast special, storm: neutralized will let you pull any storm or morlock special, etc.

The only other posibility I could think of that might be wierd is if a character used as an activator had some sort of inherent that gaves +1 to fighting power cards (for instance) and a special that let you combine it and a power card. (an AE type special)

Seriously, never thought of that!! Mojo could do it  :D

Quote* MOJO  <IQ> {U}                             E: 6   F: 3   S: 1   I: 6   (16)
       ~ MultiPower Power cards are +1 when used to attack. ~
     * PRIME TIME (CX) <PS> {VR} [OPD]
        Acts as a level 5 Fighting attack. May combine with any 1 Power card
            for a single attack.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

I can understand the Dark Beast or even a Beast the Brute, because they are basically 'beast.' But to me Beyonder is just going by the inherent and as far as I know there wasnt an eratta saying it was cool. I think somewhere along the lines someone just started doing it and it became 'the norm' and people let it slide without thinking about it.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Jesse on April 10, 2012, 12:45:08 PM
I can understand the Dark Beast or even a Beast the Brute, because they are basically 'beast.' But to me Beyonder is just going by the inherent and as far as I know there wasnt an eratta saying it was cool. I think somewhere along the lines someone just started doing it and it became 'the norm' and people let it slide without thinking about it.

I agree and that's why I was so surprised when I learned about it (through these forums). Further proof that it was fairly arbitrary is the fact that his activator is considered a OPD. There's no specific ruling addressing why his Activator would be a OPD, exactly. I wonder if it was determined from the start, or only after some one had 12 Beyonder activators in their deck (as if anyone actually had 12! lol).

All of this makes me wonder how much tactical advantage there is to using Beyonder with your Battlesite, as compared to Any Heroes (one of my favorite debates). i.e., how much closer would the competition be, between Battlesites and Any Heroes, if Beyonder was not allowed...?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Also interesting would be the question of the inherent abilities that state "May play $card from reserve."  If you could use those activators from reserve for those specials that would be fun.

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on April 10, 2012, 12:53:24 PM
I agree and that's why I was so surprised when I learned about it (through these forums). Further proof that it was fairly arbitrary is the fact that his activator is considered a OPD. There's no specific ruling addressing why his Activator would be a OPD, exactly. I wonder if it was determined from the start, or only after some one had 12 Beyonder activators in their deck (as if anyone actually had 12! lol).

All of this makes me wonder how much tactical advantage there is to using Beyonder with your Battlesite, as compared to Any Heroes (one of my favorite debates). i.e., how much closer would the competition be, between Battlesites and Any Heroes, if Beyonder was not allowed...?

Right! I only learned about Beyonder as an activator through these forums as well. I have yet to see anyone show an eratta or meta or judge's ruling from a tourny, etc as to why he is allowed. I massively agree that if he wasn't used than AH vs BS would even out at least a little bit more.
Personally I have a Beyonder, but I won't use him as an activator b/c I cannot find any offical ruling stating that it is allowed so to me it's not a legal move if it isn't in the rules.

Jack

Jesse

Quote from: Jack on April 10, 2012, 01:29:21 PM
Page 11 of the OverPower Tourmanent guide:

Then there's that...thanks Jack  :P

This is another one of those things that just erks me the wrong way. We have rules, meta rules, eratta, and now tournament guides that help to define what is legal. I feel like I need a briefcase to carry all of my rules in when I play a match.

breadmaster

beyonder as an activators is a stupid rule

i can't use beta ray bill as an activator to retrieve thor specials, and beta ray bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at avengers mansion than beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight

Jesse

Quote from: breadmaster on April 10, 2012, 10:18:23 PM
beyonder as an activators is a stupid rule

i can't use beta ray bill as an activator to retrieve thor specials, and beta ray bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at avengers mansion than beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight

LOL. That is a classic statement!  8) I will say I just literally house ruled Beta as "ok" for activators with one of the guys that I am teaching b/c he loves all things Thor and if he's not using him on a team he wants to use him in a battlesite and I don't have that many Thor cards (even the sucktastic 3 stat).

Demacus

So you can't use Beta Ray Bill, Superpatriot, ect, but by using Storm:Neutralized, you can include Morlock specials under a Battlesite that does not list the Morlocks?  Talk about turning a blind eye...

Jesse

Quote from: Demacus on April 11, 2012, 07:10:13 PM
So you can't use Beta Ray Bill, Superpatriot, ect, but by using Storm:Neutralized, you can include Morlock specials under a Battlesite that does not list the Morlocks?  Talk about turning a blind eye...

Yet another fun fact for overpower fans  :P

bamf!

BetaRayBill, Superpatroit, etc are not listed under a location and cannot be used even if they can access certain specials from their inherent ability. This is how building a battlesite is defined.

Storm does appear in a few locations, and that particular version of her hero card does give her access because of the inherent.

Crystal in blue area of the moon you can argue, but the name does appear but as so does the inhumans, if you were to draw both they would not counted as duplicate even if they can access the same specials.

IF variants were allowed as activator ignoring the character listing on a location and just adding them based on inherent.
As an example 'Outbacks': Sentinels/Bastion, Donald Pierce/Reavers, Wolverine/TeamX(+maverick +sabretooth non OPD) that becomes a pretty stacked battlesite and if built properly won't even have to worry much about duplicate activators.

bamf!

gameplan.exe

Quote from: bamf! on April 11, 2012, 11:29:22 PM

BetaRayBill, Superpatroit, etc are not listed under a location and cannot be used even if they can access certain specials from their inherent ability. This is how building a battlesite is defined.

Storm does appear in a few locations, and that particular version of her hero card does give her access because of the inherent.

Crystal in blue area of the moon you can argue, but the name does appear but as so does the inhumans, if you were to draw both they would not counted as duplicate even if they can access the same specials.

IF variants were allowed as activator ignoring the character listing on a location and just adding them based on inherent.
As an example 'Outbacks': Sentinels/Bastion, Donald Pierce/Reavers, Wolverine/TeamX(+maverick +sabretooth non OPD) that becomes a pretty stacked battlesite and if built properly won't even have to worry much about duplicate activators.

bamf!

too true! bamf!

also, that Crystal/Inhumans option on Blue Area never occurred to me!
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27