Mexican Standoff (3-player rules)

Started by BigBadHarve, August 22, 2010, 02:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

So, over the years my friend and I came up with 3 player rules that we've found quite fun (and intense). A 3rd player in an OP game really creates a wild situation where your brain works overtime trying to figure out the variables.

It's also great if you have 3 people, and 1 person always has to sit out..... ;)

And now I am happy to post them here for you. Also, if anyone has any good 4 player scenarios, let me know. I'm working on my own and would love to hear other input.

If you have any questions or observations, let me know.

-BBH

3-player OverPower rules:

'Mexican Standoff' rules (3 player game)

Players arrange in a triangular setup, with the battlefield being in the centre for all players. Setup for each individual player is the standard setup.

Determine who will go first, and work clockwise from there, taking turns as normal.

Draw, events, discarding, and placing phase is done as normal. Venture is slightly different (see below).

All attacks start clockwise. Player A will attack Player B, Player B attacks player C, and player C attacks player A. Each new battle shifts the attack direction. In battle #2, attacks go counter-clockwise, in battle #3, clockwise etc.

It is best that each player use different coloured card sleeves, so cards don't get mixed together.

Any card that normally affects both players (IE: Events, Absorb Sound, New Universe etc) now affects ALL players. Cards and Inherent Abilities that only affect the opponent will now only target the opponent the player is attacking for that battle. (For example: A player using 'Marvel Universe' as a base would normally impose a -1 venture penalty on his opponent. This -1 penalty only applies to the player he is targeting, not both opponents.)

Once a card has been played, it now only affects the opponent that was hit, and doesn't shift over in the next battle if it's a game lasting special.

Regarding negates: A player may negate any special from either player. But the player defending the special being played gets first refusal to play a negate. (Example: Player A plays Absorb Sound, which will affect all players. Player B first decides whether or not he can or will negate, if not then Player C may negate it.)

The venture: when a player ventures more than two, then his opponents may alternate in drawing cards, starting with the player who is defending against him.

For example: Player A ventures 4 cards. Since he is attacking Player B, Player B may draw the first card, and Player C may draw the 2nd. If Player A were to only venture 3, then only Player B (the defending player) would draw. If 5 were ventured, then Player B would draw two and Player C would draw one.

After the battle is complete, total the Venture as normal. The player with the most Venture wins the round and his missions. The player with the least venture loses the round and his missions. The middle player is neutral and may move his missions back to the pile ventured from. Should two players tie for the middle spot, then both may move their missions back while the winning player may still move his missions forward. In case of a tie for first place, all tied players leave their missions ventured as with a normal 2-player match, the third player may move his missions back.

Should a player opt to concede, then the other two players may move their missions forward while the conceding player loses his missions.

Determining who goes first in subsequent rounds: After a battle has been played out, you determine who goes first based on how the previous round ended. If a player conceded, then he automatically goes last, meaning the player he is now attacking will go first. If the entire previous battle was played out, and there was a winner of venture determined, then the Venture winner is the one to go first.

If one player should be eliminated, then the remaining two players continue the game as per normal, 2-player rules.

Nostalgic

Interesting.......

Now that I see these rules I wonder is there a way to make a 4 player version using similar rules to the spades cardgame? I'll have to noodle on it a while, but it seems very possible.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

We've had some obstacles for the 4 player variants over the years. The main one being finding a 4th player. ;) 

But the 3 player rules work beautifully.

-BBH

Nate Grey

I've been reading your Mexican Standoff rules and I'm really intrigued by them. It's certainly a style of gameplay that would be fun for my friends. I do have a question about how you would play certain specials though (at least a few for now but I'm sure more will pop up in my head).

1. Is Red Skull's Cosmic Cube playable in this system? Would it have to effect one character in each team?
2. AX Specials - It seems playing this card would only be advantageous to the player you are not directly attacking (I guess this can also apply to AV Specials).
3. Would Mr. Sinister's Inside Information only reveal the cards on the opponent you are attacking or both opponents? If just one opponent, it seems the other opponent has just been given a nice bonus of knowing what cards his attacker has.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 21, 2011, 09:32:47 PM
I've been reading your Mexican Standoff rules and I'm really intrigued by them. It's certainly a style of gameplay that would be fun for my friends. I do have a question about how you would play certain specials though (at least a few for now but I'm sure more will pop up in my head).

1. Is Red Skull's Cosmic Cube playable in this system? Would it have to effect one character in each team?
2. AX Specials - It seems playing this card would only be advantageous to the player you are not directly attacking (I guess this can also apply to AV Specials).
3. Would Mr. Sinister's Inside Information only reveal the cards on the opponent you are attacking or both opponents? If just one opponent, it seems the other opponent has just been given a nice bonus of knowing what cards his attacker has.

1. The rule states that any special that affects normally both players now affects all players. So yes, essentially, if your opponent doesn't defend the Cosmic Cube, you now select one of your 2nd opponent's characters as well. So the three of you will each have 1 character in the fight. But the 2nd opponent also has the chance to avoid it or negate it as if the card had targeted him.
2. Yes, the dynamic of this and some other cards certainly changes. It may seem less useful, but has often given an advantage by preventing the opponent you're targeting from gaining points of venture on his target, who may be defenseless. In this case, helping your enemy benefits you.
3. Cards like that only affect the opponent you are targeting. So yes, your other opponent does get that nice bonus.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Thanks for the quick response, BBH. I e-mailed my friends your rules and they are excited to try it out. When we do hook up again I'll let you know how it goes. I think based on the answers to those questions I had I can figure out how the other specials should work. This style of play certainly does add an interesting dynamic to the game and makes you re-think strategy. Can't wait to try it.  :)

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nate Grey on February 22, 2011, 01:33:40 AM
Thanks for the quick response, BBH. I e-mailed my friends your rules and they are excited to try it out. When we do hook up again I'll let you know how it goes. I think based on the answers to those questions I had I can figure out how the other specials should work. This style of play certainly does add an interesting dynamic to the game and makes you re-think strategy. Can't wait to try it.  :)

That's what we've found with the Mexican Standoff rules - it's a brain bender deciding just how you're going to attack and defend, and the games never go as you think they will.

It's a nice way to shake up the traditional game play.

-BBH

Nate Grey

Quote from: BigBadHarve on August 26, 2010, 02:30:41 PM
We've had some obstacles for the 4 player variants over the years. The main one being finding a 4th player. ;) 

But the 3 player rules work beautifully.

-BBH

Do you have the suggestions on how to play with 4 players posted anywhere in the forums? We've still been playing Mexican Standoff but now a fourth person wants in.  :D

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nate Grey on June 27, 2011, 03:08:08 AM
Do you have the suggestions on how to play with 4 players posted anywhere in the forums? We've still been playing Mexican Standoff but now a fourth person wants in.  :D

NCannelora has a set of 4 player rules that he and his circle play. My own 4 player system hasn't been tested, and I'm not sure that it's quite there yet - but I was working on a side-by-side system as opposed to a euchre/bridge format, in which you essentially share a front line and hand.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on June 27, 2011, 09:48:16 AM
Quote from: Nate Grey on June 27, 2011, 03:08:08 AM

NCannelora has a set of 4 player rules that he and his circle play. My own 4 player system hasn't been tested, and I'm not sure that it's quite there yet - but I was working on a side-by-side system as opposed to a euchre/bridge format, in which you essentially share a front line and hand.

-BBH

Here's the link to that thread:
http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/index.php?topic=109.0

Partners play is a fun variation. It was cooked up by my 2 brothers and 2 friends, but we often play in this format. I think for myself, I still prefer the 1 on 1, traditional game. Playing Partners doesn't really change your deck-build, but it does present a few new angles.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on June 27, 2011, 12:26:26 PM
Partners play is a fun variation. It was cooked up by my 2 brothers and 2 friends, but we often play in this format. I think for myself, I still prefer the 1 on 1, traditional game. Playing Partners doesn't really change your deck-build, but it does present a few new angles.

Yeah, it's fun to try multi-player variations, but I agree - the standard 1-on-1 game is the best.

So, when are you and your crew going to join us for some OP online fun? :D

-BBH

gameplan.exe

I'm going out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to get together with my regular crew Saturday morning. I'm going to convince my wife to put OPOnline on her laptop and maybe I'll we can hook up for some games this Saturday morning!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nate Grey

Thanks for the link to the 4-player thread. I'll definitely look into it. I, too, prefer 1 on 1 games but my friends like trying out having more than 2 people.

Oh, and do count me in for some OP online.  ;)

Demacus

I believe the rule book itself offers a side-by-side 4 player variant. It's called 2-headed Mutant. All the way in the back of the original rule booklet.

Kal-el

Quote from: Demacus on July 16, 2011, 09:47:13 AM
I believe the rule book itself offers a side-by-side 4 player variant. It's called 2-headed Mutant. All the way in the back of the original rule booklet.

I don't remember that, and I was just went through that rule book a few months ago.