Partners Play! (2 vs 2)

Started by a_noble_kaz, August 26, 2010, 05:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

(I'm A_Noble_Kaz's brother, btw. So you'll see me on the video!)
-
I wanted to note that one of the added bits of fun with Partners is that you can mess around with a lot of just-for-fun decks and themed decks without too much worry about getting annihilated. For example, my collection is pretty limited, so I make teams such as Gambit & The X-Ternals (Gambit, Jubilee, Starjammers, and Deathbird). It's not a wimpy deck, per se, but it's certainly not the strongest. I've also made a pre-IQ deck using 3-Stat Bishop, Sabretooth, Morph, and Nightcrawler (again with a little AoA flavor!).
-
It also makes it a lot easier to use HomeBase teams that have negative Inherent Abilities. Wundagor Mountain being limited to 2 Venture per battle isn't a problem when you're Partner has a say in the venture as well. Or Avalon, a Base with awesome potential but a super-frustrating Inherent Ability (Opponent may remove 1 Hit between battles) only hampers 1/2 as much as it otherwise would (since you have 2 partners, but there can be only 1 removed hit).
-
Anyway, Partners Play is a lot of fun, especially because of the expanded possibilities!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

I've had the chance to try my side-by-side partners approach, and it's working pretty well. Unfortunately, I've had to test it by teaching newcomers who aren't familiar with the nuances or the cards. But the team play works well. Now to try it with some more hardened types...

-BBH

a_noble_kaz

Nice BBH! Glad to hear you found some people that you could talk into playing.

CoS

Did you upload yet? I can't find it.

a_noble_kaz

No  :(
we didn't get a chance to play until much later, and we didn't have our usual crowd. we played, but didn't record it. i really want it to happen though so i can share with you guys our favorite house rules. anyway, i'll update the thread as we go.

CoS

any chance i might see an honest to goodness overpower match on YouTube for Christmas?  ;)

gameplan.exe

Unlikely. We're holding off through Christmas to devote extra time to family
- and to bank time for a New Year's Overpower Party! LOL
We're going to try to get together on 010111 for some extended play. We'll get at least a couple of movies for youtube then!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

hudarklord

In Boston we used to play a different partners variant.  I play opponent A.  You, my partner, play Opponent B.  If either of us lose, we both lose.  If both of us have 10 total net positive (all the positive minus the negative) our team can win even if neither game is over.  If both of us have a total of 10 net negative missions we lose as a team even if neither game is over.  You can play with a chess clock at each separate game table to make sure that your partner doesn't stall if he's losing in order to let you pull out a win on your table.  Or, you can pause between hands to keep both tables on the same hand number for each game.

It was clean.  It was funny.  "John, you have to bet 5 over there."  "Are you kidding me?  I can't bet 5."  "If you don't, my losses this hand will make us lose the game."  "Crap, Lee, learn to bet, man!"

It's simple, and it's very minimally intrusive on the game's rules.

Lee

a_noble_kaz

lol
"learn to bet, man!"

Post Merge: July 08, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

Okay we played some OP this morning, and we even recorded one match and some of another! Our buddy Brad is going to post the vid he has on YouTube sometime (today, hopefully).
At last you can all see the madness that is Partners Play in action!

CoS

ok i am going to look now! i am REALLY excited to see some quality OP video on UTUBE.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: hudarklord on January 07, 2011, 01:49:53 AM
In Boston we used to play a different partners variant.  I play opponent A.  You, my partner, play Opponent B.  If either of us lose, we both lose.  If both of us have 10 total net positive (all the positive minus the negative) our team can win even if neither game is over.  If both of us have a total of 10 net negative missions we lose as a team even if neither game is over.  You can play with a chess clock at each separate game table to make sure that your partner doesn't stall if he's losing in order to let you pull out a win on your table.  Or, you can pause between hands to keep both tables on the same hand number for each game.

It was clean.  It was funny.  "John, you have to bet 5 over there."  "Are you kidding me?  I can't bet 5."  "If you don't, my losses this hand will make us lose the game."  "Crap, Lee, learn to bet, man!"

It's simple, and it's very minimally intrusive on the game's rules.

Lee

Hi Lee, I'd be interested in your partner's play rules. We've created viable three player rules, (posted as 'Mexican Standoff' in another thread) but have yet to truly hammer out a satisfying 4 player system. Notably, one that doesn't stray too far from standard play, meaning players don't have to tweak decks to use them.

-BBH

Ranerdar

Brad here. I did get 2 of the videos I took up on YouTube. The 3rd (with Tim's awesome canucklehead/tripwire play) mysteriously disappeared. They are under the username Ranerdar. I would post a direct link, but I'm at work and can't get to YouTube.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

steve2275

Quote from: a_noble_kaz on December 02, 2010, 05:03:03 AM
me and my buddies have a weekly OP night of Fridays, and this week I'm going to try and record one of our games and post it on YouTube. Would you guys be interested in seeing how we do it? I'm sure that if you saw it in action you would understand it better and might just try it yourself (provided you can garner enough players!)
just post any overpower vids :)