Beyonder, Epic Boss Battle

Started by Demacus, March 04, 2013, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demacus

So I was contemplating Beyonder and his rules to use him in tournaments.  Then my mind jumped back to my Heroclix and WoWTGC days, and a thought occured.  What if Beyonder was an epic level boss character, instead of just another guy on the team?  Instead of having him as part of a 4-character squad, what if he went solo against a 4-character squad?  Clearly, you'd have to change the rules that surround Beyonder to make the epic battle more epic, but still sort of fun for both sides.

For starters, under this format, Beyonder would no longer be restricted by his "I'm a friendly teammate" rules.  His card states that he may play ANY specials.  For the Epic battle, he can play ANY specials.  No limitations of no OPD specials, BUT like a battlesite, he should have no more then one of each coded special.

Second note, Beyonder will be playing against a team of 4 characters.  He should have an edge when it comes to actually bringing him down.  3-stat Spectrum/20pt Cummulative is just too easy for a BOSS fight.  Set him up with 40 points to KO via Cummulative, he needs all 4 stats twice over for a spectrum KO, and now we've got a bit of balance for his lack of allies.

Thirdly, because Beyonder will be flying solo in this format, Artifacts, Double-shots, Allies, ect, ect just won't have any purpose in his deck.  He would also not be allowed a Battlesite, as the concept of the site is outside assistance that comes in to aid your characters.  Any character specials are also restricted, mostly due to the fact that he can play any specials, to have the any characters in the deck just feels redundant.  He's flying solo...  Completely... 

As far as his stats, treat him as if he has 8E-8F-8S-8I.

And that's it.  Find an opponent and go nuts.

Thoughts?

chuu

i think there would be alot of set ups that would alow him to venture 7 cards for the win.  i.e. Beyonder may be attacked for remainder of battle and +3 to venture total. 

Demacus

OH yeah.  Forgot that part.  It's a Boss Battle...  The point is to beat HIM, so you'd play like the "battle scenario" rules.  No venture.

gameplan.exe

This is pretty interesting! My initial thought is that a deck full of OPD cards could get pretty crazy, but maybe that's just right?! Certainly getting Hawkeye's BR Special into play early would help  ;)

Also, seems like it could get pretty tough to actually hit him, given the immense number of various defensive cards there are out there... (or even cards that can be used to remove hits from Current battle)

I see AD, AG, AH, AL, AM, AO, AY, BG, BH, BJ, CC, CD, CN, CW, DB, DO, EE, EQ, HG, KG, LB, LO ... there are more, but all of these could serve great purpose... in general, I build with 10-15 defensive Specials, trying to make them as universal as possible. In this case, they'd all be usable... I just don't know...

Then you put together all of the separately coded heavy attacks and you get some more crazy potential...

I'll tell you what, can the OPO program allow this type of build? Will it let you make a 1 man team? Will it let you put Specials in your deck for members not present on the team? If this is possible, then playtest, because this sounds like a great idea!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

I'm sure OPO isn't designed for this, but if I could get some new interest from my circle of friends, I'd love to try it out.

Feel free to bring it before you circle as well Ncann.  I defintely feel that you play WAY more then I do these days.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on March 17, 2013, 03:15:53 PM
I'm sure OPO isn't designed for this, but if I could get some new interest from my circle of friends, I'd love to try it out.

Feel free to bring it before you circle as well Ncann.  I defintely feel that you play WAY more then I do these days.

oh, that I wish it was so! Not for your sake, but my own. As it is, since I moved up to Washington, I haven't played face-to-face with anyone. Though I am teaching my daughter, and she's up to about 80% of playing a full game (slowly introducing elements), she also seems to be losing interest  :'(
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Sorry to hear she is losing interest.  I plan to teach my children, if I ever have any...