Submitted for the Approval of the OP Society

Started by thetrooper27, March 31, 2013, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetrooper27

There was this Nickelodeon show called "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?"and it was about a group of teens that would meet up in the woods and tell scary stories.  Before each tale, the kid telling the story would say "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society... I call this story..." and then they would announce the title and the story would begin, in hopes that by the end, the whole gang would be terrified and praise the narrator for making them pee their pants!!!

Since I like that little phrase, what OP erratas would you submit for approval if you knew they could be invoked into the game?  Based on previous conversations carried out to their conclusions that you've been a part of, what tweaks would you want for the game?  Rather than discussion, maybe this thread could just be lean and to the point, to get a summarized collection of all the little stuff that should be fixed in this game.  Feel free to post a link to the thread to encourage others to hear your position.  I'll start off with my most recent one:

http://www.beenhereandthere.com/SMF/characters/here's-a-hypothetical-beyonder-plays-gift-of-the-gods/

DS specials should have errata stating that you may search for any special "playable by" (said character), excluding any character specials. 

Furthermore, as a general rule, all instances of the name should change on the card if any instances of the name change, such as when played from a battesite.
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on March 31, 2013, 06:28:02 PM
There was this Nickelodeon show called "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?"and it was about a group of teens that would meet up in the woods and tell scary stories.  Before each tale, the kid telling the story would say "Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society... I call this story..." and then they would announce the title and the story would begin, in hopes that by the end, the whole gang would be terrified and praise the narrator for making them pee their pants!!!

Since I like that little phrase, what OP erratas would you submit for approval if you knew they could be invoked into the game?  Based on previous conversations carried out to their conclusions that you've been a part of, what tweaks would you want for the game?

Submitted for the Approval of the OP Society, I call this story, "Artifacts are not Special Cards."

I think ALL Artifact cards should last for the Remainder of Game Unless removed with another card. Mostly, it would only affectAvengers ID Card, Link Stone, and Image Inducer (i think), but I think it should be so. I know Image Inducer has the most potential for abuse (among those 3), but I think there are enough anti-shift and KO override cards to make up for this abuse... not to mention the actual cost of shifting with it.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

breadmaster

2 things that bother me

-remove DoW from the game completely

-remove the errata from the EB cards (the marvels one's pretty much did this already, just re-set the old ones)

thetrooper27

I would appreciate getting rid of the duration rule altogether, and specifying durations in a reference guide, along with other specifications like Draw to replace. 

drdeath25

Submitted for the Approval of the OP Society, I call this story, "No More Canadiens"

Gretzky chose US, eh.

-DRDEATH25

Onslaught

Quote from: breadmaster on March 31, 2013, 11:18:04 PM

AKA remove Any Heroes from the game completely

Also lol at wanting Image Inducer to last for the remainder of the game. You do realize the "non-OPD = duration for turn instead of game" was implemented specifically because Image Inducer was obscenely broken and warped the format?

breadmaster

it only removes anys if you don't replace it

there are many more choices that would be less broken, and better for the game

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on April 02, 2013, 05:39:42 PM
Quote from: breadmaster on March 31, 2013, 11:18:04 PM
Also lol at wanting Image Inducer to last for the remainder of the game. You do realize the "non-OPD = duration for turn instead of game" was implemented specifically because Image Inducer was obscenely broken and warped the format?

yes, yes I do realize that it was the focus of much ire while that rule was formulated. I do not, however, see how it's broken, given that everyone has access to it. It's not like it's a Special card. It's not even an Any Hero. It's like saying that level 8 Energy Power cards are broken.

Is it powerful? Yes.
Is it costly? A little.
Is there "obscene" potential? Maybe.

But I just don't see it as broken. Again, both players have access to it, so how is it broken, exactly? The balance is in it's availability.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

You could replace DoW with a simlilar card that is non-negateable and forces opponent to discard all activators from hand.

Hey Onslaught, how come players didn't use the Ultimate Nullifier if the Image Inducer was so broken?  Can you give us more on what the format was like because of Image Inducer? 

Onslaught

QuoteBut I just don't see it as broken.

Because you have never played competitive Overpower - not when the game was actually going on, and not today.

QuoteHey Onslaught, how come players didn't use the Ultimate Nullifier if the Image Inducer was so broken?  Can you give us more on what the format was like because of Image Inducer?

Who says people didn't use Ultimate Nullifier? And so what if they did, it's a one per deck card that adds nothing to venture trying to counter a non-one per deck card that generates massive virtual card advantage. Image Inducer was a Vertigo that couldn't be negated. Consider what the metagame looked like when Vertigo ruled the day. Now consider what it was like with Image Inducer being a more difficult to counter Vertigo that lasted the entire game. You used it, or you lost to it, simple as that.

Luckily the "Image Inducer" era was extremely short lived. The time between FFP/Vertigo nerfing and the April 1 rules of "dead is dead" and "non-OPD = only battle duration" didn't feature any regionals or large scale tournaments. If there had been an organized play circuit during this time period, every single top deck would have been using Image Inducer.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on April 03, 2013, 12:42:31 AM
QuoteBut I just don't see it as broken.

Because you have never played competitive Overpower - not when the game was actually going on, and not today.

Zing! Obviously, you and I define competitive differently.

Quote from: Onslaught on April 03, 2013, 12:42:31 AM
QuoteHey Onslaught, how come players didn't use the Ultimate Nullifier if the Image Inducer was so broken?  Can you give us more on what the format was like because of Image Inducer?

Who says people didn't use Ultimate Nullifier? And so what if they did, it's a one per deck card that adds nothing to venture trying to counter a non-one per deck card that generates massive virtual card advantage. Image Inducer was a Vertigo that couldn't be negated. Consider what the metagame looked like when Vertigo ruled the day. Now consider what it was like with Image Inducer being a more difficult to counter Vertigo that lasted the entire game. You used it, or you lost to it, simple as that.

Luckily the "Image Inducer" era was extremely short lived. The time between FFP/Vertigo nerfing and the April 1 rules of "dead is dead" and "non-OPD = only battle duration" didn't feature any regionals or large scale tournaments. If there had been an organized play circuit during this time period, every single top deck would have been using Image Inducer.

Seems to me like someone is a little bitter about losing to some Image Inducer decks... Also, if it was such a short-lived era, it sounds like NOBODY played competitive Overpower during this era. Seems like some pretty classic overcompensation on the part of TPTB. They overreact and now a good card seldom sees a deck.

Seems to me that the better option to "fix" the Image Inducer "problem" would have been to make it a OPD, a la the HQ-Specials.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Onslaught

You've probably played against less than 10 different people in your life. Meanwhile, when the game was actually going on there was an entire active playerbase 100x the size of the one we have now. People were making decks with Image Inducer and everyone realized it was too good, leading to an errata to decrease its power. It doesn't matter whether or not it "seems" broken to you, because it has already been played and tested as having a game lasting duration. The way they nerfed it was appropriate, and making it OPD is profoundly stupid since it would just become another swingy staple that every deck automatically includes. This would increase variance, and many matches would come down to "he drew Image Inducer before I did, so I lost."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Onslaught on April 03, 2013, 05:24:33 AM
You've probably played against less than 10 different people in your life. Meanwhile, when the game was actually going on there was an entire active playerbase 100x the size of the one we have now. People were making decks with Image Inducer and everyone realized it was too good, leading to an errata to decrease its power. It doesn't matter whether or not it "seems" broken to you, because it has already been played and tested as having a game lasting duration. The way they nerfed it was appropriate, and making it OPD is profoundly stupid since it would just become another swingy staple that every deck automatically includes. This would increase variance, and many matches would come down to "he drew Image Inducer before I did, so I lost."

so, my understanding of the potential Image Inducer has is limited by the fact that I've only played against 20 people, or so? or are you saying that I've never played anyone good enough to qualify as "competition" by your standards?

also, Image Inducer isn't creating card advantage or venture advantage. it still has a cost per use, and its value is at its best over several hands, making it more likely that the Opponent will draw theirs. furthermore, it wouldn't swing like DoW, because both players could use it. lastly, making it OPD would actually still help, because it prevents a Front Line full of image Inducer. so it can't simulate Vertigo or FFP, as everything would be piled onto 1 character. it's more like it would simulate a KC, except there's a cost, and there's no bonus to defense (or penalty to the attack).

but thanks for calling my idea "profoundly stupid" anyway.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

drdeath25

This shit is hilarious. 

I dont even have to troll this one, you guys are doing all the work for me  8)

thetrooper27

NJ specials should read "not affected by special cards opponent already has in play."