House "Meta" Rule = 15 playable cards

Started by gameplan.exe, October 08, 2010, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I was pondering how to make Batman and Nightwing more playable and I kind of stumbled into the idea for this blanket rule: After playing any "AJ" coded special, you may immediately draw 1 card from the top of Draw Pile. Discard duplicates."
At first, I was going to say this would only apply to the non-OPD specials, but then I though, why? Some of these people really do need another card they can use and some of these actually become pretty useful when you don't have to worry about card advantage (i.e., it can be worth turn advantage for the info). These are the affected cards:

Any Character - The Batcave "You may look at top 3 cards in opponent's Draw Pile."

Batman - Master Detective "Opponent must immediately reveal any Special cards currently held in his hand"

Black Canary - Street Smarts "Black Canary may look at top 6 cards in opponent's Draw Pile." OPD

Deadpool - Super Spy "Opponent must reveal 2 cards chosen at random from his hand"

Doctor Doom - Time Machine "You may look at top 2 cards in opponent's Draw Pile."

Dr. Strange - Eye Of Agamotto "Opponent must immediately reveal any Special cards currently held in hand"

Jean Grey - Mind Scan "Opponent must reveal 2 cards chosen at random from his hand"

Mojo - Spineless Plot "Opponent must immediately reveal any Power cards currently held in his hand"

Mystique - Infiltration "Opponent must reveal 2 cards chosen at random from his hand"

Nightwing - Expert Sleuth "Opponent must immediately reveal any Power cards currently held in his hand"

Overtkill - Mob Connections "Opponent must immediately reveal any Special cards currently held in his hand"

Professor X - Psychic Scan "Opponent must reveal 2 cards chosen at random from his hand"

Psylocke - Thought Probe "Opponent must reveal 2 cards chosen at random from his hand"

The Shi'ar - M'Krann Crystal "Shi'ar may look at top 6 cards in opponent's Draw Pile." OPD

Spider-man - Spider Sense "Opponent must immediately reveal any Special cards currently held in his hand"

What do you guys think?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

justa

i think its a great idea!  it doesn't really make the cards any more useful, but at least you're not at a loss in card count by using them.  if you get a chance, check out chris's homemade cards at justabgkid.com (not me) - he integrates the DTR (draw to replace) function into a lot of those type of cards to enable the different strategies.

gameplan.exe

I've actually seen his site. That was one of the places I got this idea! We've been playing this way with any non-OPD AJ cards and it does make the character's more fun, for sure. Particularly, the Specials for Batman, Dr.Strange, Mojo, Nightwing, Overtkill, and Spider-Man all become much better cards. They were all pretty good cards anyway, but the DTR makes them much easier to play!
-
Anyway, test it out; it's a lot of fun =]
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on December 02, 2010, 12:17:42 PM
I've actually seen his site. That was one of the places I got this idea! We've been playing this way with any non-OPD AJ cards and it does make the character's more fun, for sure. Particularly, the Specials for Batman, Dr.Strange, Mojo, Nightwing, Overtkill, and Spider-Man all become much better cards. They were all pretty good cards anyway, but the DTR makes them much easier to play!
-
Anyway, test it out; it's a lot of fun =]

I kind of like the idea of the Draw to Replace notion for certain cards. I may test it out. Primarily, I'm all for playing cards 'as written' without having to worry about errata to any text. That's where Overpower lost it's way, primarily. (And not beefing up the Flagship characters). Too many errata. Too, too many.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Just an update:
We've been playing with the DTR on these for a few weeks now and it's working really well. The only change is that we only do it for the non-OPDs. I didn't think the OPDs were "too good" to get the DTR, but I lost my argument for it XD
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

gameplan.exe

Quote from: ncannelora on January 04, 2011, 01:48:23 PM
Just an update:
We've been playing with the DTR on these for a few weeks now and it's working really well. The only change is that we only do it for the non-OPDs. I didn't think the OPDs were "too good" to get the DTR, but I lost my argument for it XD

update, we now DTR all of the AJ-coded cards. It's fun. It helps these people a lot (or at least some)  :)
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27