Apocalypse

Started by a_noble_kaz, December 02, 2010, 05:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on December 02, 2010, 03:15:48 PM
I agree. 23 points, no 8 and mostly lousy cards.

Still, he can be made to work. I use him from time to time, primarily as a deckbuilding challenge to myself, but I still do it! ;)

I had thoughts about upgrading him... I think I may have gone a little overboard... but I stand by my assessment given how powerful he is in the comics. :D

Apocalypse: Age of Apocalypse
E -6
F -7
S -8
I - 7

New specials -

Evil incarnate - One Per Deck - negate the effect of any one special played by opponent. Apocalypse may discard this card to the top of the draw pile after use.

Eternal Might - Acts as a level 8 Anypower attack.

Techno-Virus Upgrade - One Per Deck - Play during battle. For the remainder of the game. Any successful level 1 or 2 power card hit against opponent is +6 to venture.

What do you think - too much? Not enough?  :P

-BBH

I really like where you were going with some of these special ideas that you had. Have you made homemades of any of them yet? or the character card upgrade? I've actually got an Apoc AoA that I worked on awhile back - if I can find it I will load it in the customs.....
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

mattkoz

This is slowly becoming a custom card discussion, but I was recently thinking about this, too. Apocalypse has three specials with "Battle" effects:

I was thinking of an OPD special that would read something like: All Apocalypse specials that last the duration of a battle now last for the remainder of the game. This special remains in effect until Apocalypse is KO'd or it is negated. My name for it was "Age of Apocalypse."

It'd be a little cumbersome to need a card to make some of his other cards effective, but his BD special would be a a real killer. You'd really need to protect Apocalypse to get the full value, but his AC would help that. This would also become a powerful OPD from a Battlesite.

EDIT: I made an edit to the special text. The duration of this special would basically just release the BD effect if Apocalypse is KO'd. The other two specials would obviously not have lasting effects once Apocalypse was KO'd anyway.

Alternatively, I also thought a similarly named "Age of Apocalypse" special could be added like Spider-Man's "With Great Power..." but it's kind of nice for Marvel's flagship character to have a unique, powerful card.

breadmaster

that's a unique one...i like it!

Jesse

Quote from: breadmaster on March 30, 2012, 04:50:22 PM
that's a unique one...i like it!

I agree - it is hugely unique! If you're up for the mod I'd go for it  b/c having an additional card that could help Apoc is a great thing for him.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: mattkoz on March 30, 2012, 04:34:11 PMI was thinking of an OPD special that would read something like: All Apocalypse specials that last the duration of a battle now last for the remainder of the game. This special remains in effect until Apocalypse is KO'd or it is negated. My name for it was "Age of Apocalypse."

This card is GREAT! I like the effect, the name is perfect, and the effect, while quite powerful, will be difficult to get into play, but not impossible (cumbersome maybe, but appropriately). Good work!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Hotobu

Quote from: mattkoz on March 30, 2012, 04:34:11 PM

I was thinking of an OPD special that would read something like: All Apocalypse specials that last the duration of a battle now last for the remainder of the game. This special remains in effect until Apocalypse is KO'd or it is negated. My name for it was "Age of Apocalypse."

It'd be a little cumbersome to need a card to make some of his other cards effective, but his BD special would be a a real killer. You'd really need to protect Apocalypse to get the full value, but his AC would help that. This would also become a powerful OPD from a Battlesite.

I realize this is an old topic, but this is overboard. If you change it to "All Apocalypse non-OPD specials..." then I'd be ok, but you're going to gimp someone's grid for the entire game? No.

thetrooper27

Imagine playing this card from a battlesite and then using a character that gets +2 to defense for remainder of battle.  That becomes remainder of game!  Or even worse, what if you played this special from a battlesite onto Maverick or Professor X, then played Freelance Spy or Team Coordination!!!  That would be as beast as it gets!!!  I'm not sure it would be fair, but it would be fun.  What about a BJ special??!!!  Play it on Gambit... he could never be attacked for remainder of game... might have to work the kinks out of this one.  Maybe print it on the card that it cannot be used from a battlesite?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

Hotobu

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 15, 2012, 05:12:20 AM
Imagine playing this card from a battlesite and then using a character that gets +2 to defense for remainder of battle.  That becomes remainder of game!  Or even worse, what if you played this special from a battlesite onto Maverick or Professor X, then played Freelance Spy or Team Coordination!!!  That would be as beast as it gets!!!  I'm not sure it would be fair, but it would be fun.  What about a BJ special??!!!  Play it on Gambit... he could never be attacked for remainder of game... might have to work the kinks out of this one.  Maybe print it on the card that it cannot be used from a battlesite?
Only if you were the one playing it I assure you. As you said there's no way that special would be allowed from a battlesite. It would cause WAAAYYYY too much potential abuse. Besides the ones you mentioned I'll give you a few more insane combinations.

Blind man's Bluff
The Mr. Sinister Special where you have to play open handed
Spider-Web
VERTIGO!

...yeah that would just be stupid.

mattkoz

Quote from: Hotobu on December 15, 2012, 05:27:58 AM
Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 15, 2012, 05:12:20 AM
Only if you were the one playing it I assure you. As you said there's no way that special would be allowed from a battlesite. It would cause WAAAYYYY too much potential abuse. Besides the ones you mentioned I'll give you a few more insane combinations.

Blind man's Bluff
The Mr. Sinister Special where you have to play open handed
Spider-Web
VERTIGO!

...yeah that would just be stupid.
Strong observation. I hadn't thought of these kinds of effects.

BasiliskFang

BasiliskFang

i was readingthe thread about the new card to make frob->frog. i was like yeah thats cool! then the next posts were HERE IS HOW YOU CAN ABUSE IT! CHARM! VERTIGO! then i was like holy shit guys!

how about if it makes non-OPDs FROG?

thetrooper27

I think that would work, but there's still the battlesite abuse issue... I think the special might have to read that its unable to be played from a battlesite. 

BasiliskFang

play when apocalypse wins the venture. makes all apoc non-opd cards that affect frob will now affect frog. discard when apoc's team loses venture.

thetrooper27

If you discard it when apocalypse loses venture, then it might be okay to let it affect his OPD's, but I still think the battlesite issue will come up.  Hold down specials like Iron Curtain and such might take strong advantage of it.  I'm not sure if it will be an overpowerd advantage... someone should test it out and see how it plays! 8)