New Card for Playtest - Any HomeBase Aspect Negate OPD

Started by Skeletaur, March 06, 2017, 10:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeletaur

Hello all,

One hot topic during K2 was finding ways to get more characters / combinations and more locations tournament playable.

We were discussing an idea that we think might help, and we would like to add this to the playtest loop if everyone things its viable.

During the K2 Tournament, Nick mentioned it would be good to give a homebase a negate aspect to help that homebase become playable.  During our ride back to Canada from K2, we were thinking about expanding that idea to make an OPD negate any homebase aspect. (see concept image below)

We feel this would allow tournament level decks to be created without relying on a negate character. We don't feel it would make current negator decks useless or overpowered either. Plus, this would allow more non-negator battlesites to be tournament level.

Unfortunately, this card won't actually make any locations more playable as homebases, just more decks and battlesites :)

What does the community think? If it seems like this is worth testing, could the Commish add this to the playtest loop?

Skel/Joe Fixit

AO user

MHC

I like the idea of making more teams playable by creating what is effectively a second any hero negate.  My only concern is that the increase in power for teams without a negate character will be the same as the increase in power for teams with a negate character.  In particular for any hero decks, 1 AO vs. 4AO  seems just as bad of a power level difference as 2 AO vs. 5AO (each team gets +1 because of Bouncers).  One way to prevent teams with an AO character from getting a symmetric advantage would be to make Bouncers count as a duplicate of any AO special for any character.  For example, Bouncers and Scarlet Witch: Change Outcome would count as duplicates.  With this change, decks without a negate character have no penalty and decks with a negate character pay a penalty of increased duplicates if they just add Bouncers to their deck.  Note that replacing 1 character-specific AO special with Bouncers in a deck with a negate character is still an upgrade because Bouncers can be played by any character on the team.

In summary, my suggestion would be to add the text "Counts as a duplicate of any AO special"

chuu

Quote from: MHC on March 11, 2017, 02:02:37 PM
I like the idea of making more teams playable by creating what is effectively a second any hero negate.  My only concern is that the increase in power for teams without a negate character will be the same as the increase in power for teams with a negate character.  In particular for any hero decks, 1 AO vs. 4AO  seems just as bad of a power level difference as 2 AO vs. 5AO (each team gets +1 because of Bouncers).  One way to prevent teams with an AO character from getting a symmetric advantage would be to make Bouncers count as a duplicate of any AO special for any character.  For example, Bouncers and Scarlet Witch: Change Outcome would count as duplicates.  With this change, decks without a negate character have no penalty and decks with a negate character pay a penalty of increased duplicates if they just add Bouncers to their deck.  Note that replacing 1 character-specific AO special with Bouncers in a deck with a negate character is still an upgrade because Bouncers can be played by any character on the team.

In summary, my suggestion would be to add the text "Counts as a duplicate of any AO special"

I second this suggestion. Well put MHC

Skeletaur

Great idea. Should it count as a dupe to Bastion? Or could it be "Counts as a duplicate of any non-OPD AO" ? Does it matter?

MHC

I don't think it matters too much whether it counts as a duplicate of Bastion or not, but it would be good to see how much that matters in play testing.