FFP shifting Inherent

Started by gameplan.exe, March 23, 2011, 03:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 13, 2011, 12:00:30 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on April 12, 2011, 10:09:24 PM
I think this is getting too complicated, but the idea definitely has merit.  There may be a good way to balance this, but I think it should be able to be done with as few qualifiers as possible.

Suggestions?  :P

I was only making the suggestion to address the problem pointed out in the post I was responding to. 

Shifting is something I haven't had experience playing or playing against in either a broken or fixed format.  I'm not entirely clear on what the errata is on FFP that is supposed to have fixed the imbalance of the card.  I don't mean to criticize the worthiness of your idea.  I just mean to say that maybe it needs to be worded in a simpler way or something along those lines.  I do like the idea of an inherent ability that you get just for having a homebase though.  Something beyond the printed ability.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 13, 2011, 12:18:06 PM
Shifting is something I haven't had experience playing or playing against in either a broken or fixed format.  I'm not entirely clear on what the errata is on FFP that is supposed to have fixed the imbalance of the card.  I don't mean to criticize the worthiness of your idea.  I just mean to say that maybe it needs to be worded in a simpler way or something along those lines.  I do like the idea of an inherent ability that you get just for having a homebase though.  Something beyond the printed ability.

Oh ok.  The errata fixed the problem of allowing you to just spread hits around to keep characters alive without having to defend the attacks.  It also reduced the options for defense since shifted attacks had to be defended with power cards.  You couldn't just wait for the big attack and shift it to the character who happened to have the AG special in a given hand. 

I was suggesting that if all homebases were allowed a similar shift I.A., it should be a little more restrictive. Simply put, all homebases would have the same shift ability as FFP, but each character would have to defend with their 'strongest' (highest numerical value) power type. Though the Fantastic Four's I.A. and errata would remain the same  I'll give some examples using the fantastic four.  If you shifted an attack from Invisible Woman to the Thing, he would have to use a strength power card to defend. If you shifted an attack from Thing to Mr. Fantastic, he would have to use an intellect power card to defend.  If you shifted an attack from Mr. Fantastic to Human Torch, he would have to use an energy power card for defense.   

That also takes care of the apect problem for a couple of homebases ncannelora point out. Shifting an attack to Xavier and using his intellect to defend so you could draw another card wouldn't work because in Xavier's case you'd have to use enegery for defense (his strongest power type).
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 13, 2011, 01:21:16 PM
Quote from: Palatinus on April 13, 2011, 12:18:06 PM

Oh ok.  The errata fixed the problem of allowing you to just spread hits around to keep characters alive without having to defend the attacks.  It also reduced the options for defense since shifted attacks had to be defended with power cards.  You couldn't just wait for the big attack and shift it to the character who happened to have the AG special in a given hand. 

I was suggesting that if all homebases were allowed a similar shift I.A., it should be a little more restrictive. Simply put, all homebases would have the same shift ability as FFP, but each character would have to defend with their 'strongest' (highest numerical value) power type. Though the Fantastic Four's I.A. and errata would remain the same  I'll give some examples using the fantastic four.  If you shifted an attack from Invisible Woman to the Thing, he would have to use a strength power card to defend. If you shifted an attack from Thing to Mr. Fantastic, he would have to use an intellect power card to defend.  If you shifted an attack from Mr. Fantastic to Human Torch, he would have to use an energy power card for defense.   

That also takes care of the apect problem for a couple of homebases ncannelora point out. Shifting an attack to Xavier and using his intellect to defend so you could draw another card wouldn't work because in Xavier's case you'd have to use enegery for defense (his strongest power type).

The easiest way for me to describe the FFP I.A. is:
you can use plain Power cards, usable by any Front Line Character, to defend any Teammate.

As for the "highest Grid type" restriction, that could work. Although, I'm not sure how much it would help with Muir Island or Asteroid "M", mostly because it still lets you get to a 6. I'd just use Shadowcat and 3-stat Quicksilver on my Front Lines. Granted, Prof X has the 7I, but being able to defend Colossus & Nightcrawler with a lv.6I card... or being able to defend Scarlet Witch with a lv.6F card... just not sure that is the best fix... I don't think this is necessarily it, either, but I do have another idea...
maybe we just a second Any-Location Aspect card!
"For remainder of game, Front Line characters may defend Teammates with any usuable, unmodified Power cards." !!
Thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on April 13, 2011, 01:36:08 PMAs for the "highest Grid type" restriction, that could work. Although, I'm not sure how much it would help with Muir Island or Asteroid "M", mostly because it still lets you get to a 6. I'd just use Shadowcat and 3-stat Quicksilver on my Front Lines. Granted, Prof X has the 7I, but being able to defend Colossus & Nightcrawler with a lv.6I card... or being able to defend Scarlet Witch with a lv.6F card... just not sure that is the best fix...

That's what I was trying to address after the comma earlier in the earlier post...

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 12, 2011, 04:58:40 PMCharacters with dual/tri- stats like ghost rider or ironman would have a choice, or only allow them to defend shifted attacks with the 'primary power type' that's in the majority for the whole team.  8)

Edited for stat-3 quicksilver...
In dual-stat-3-quicksilver's case just add up all the energy stats of the whole team and compare it to the total of the fighting stats of the whole team.  Which ever power type has the highest number would be the power type he'd have to use to defend teammates with for that game. I don't think this is any 'harder' to calculate than sum deck.

Quote from: ncannelora on April 13, 2011, 01:36:08 PM
maybe we just a second Any-Location Aspect card!
"For remainder of game, Front Line characters may defend Teammates with any usuable, unmodified Power cards." !!
Thoughts?

It's a nice idea.  A little harder to build a team strategy around unless you have some cards to fish out the aspect. 
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

gameplan.exe

oh, I see... whole team... yeah, that could certainly work, still. I'd have to double check build combinations, but that might be enough to squash what you can do with both Asteroid M and Muir Island...

Anyway, regarding "building around..." that's kind of my point. I like this idea as an added feature, but I wouldn't want people to start building their decks around it. That seems like it would cheapen it. Besides, that would also give FFP (the originator) a constant and an advantage.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Another possible solution may be to just say "Once per battle you may shift any attack to target teammate."  That way you don't need to worry about specifying what kind of card can defend and you can't abuse it for every attack.  That gives your opponent the opportunity to bluff you out by playing an attack they know you will want to move while holding an attack they really don't want moved.

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on April 13, 2011, 02:06:31 PM
oh, I see... whole team... yeah, that could certainly work, still. I'd have to double check build combinations, but that might be enough to squash what you can do with both Asteroid M and Muir Island...

The closest you could come to 'breakng it' in with the Muir Island team is by using Xavier, Shadowcat, Banshee, and Captain Britain.  The total energy is 25 and the total intellect is 24.  :D Which means shadowcat would still have to use energy to defend teammates.  ;)

With the Astroid M team Mystique probably gives the most options to try to make use of her fighting ...

Palatinus solution is one I've also considered, but may not be enough to 'save' the deficit of mismatched grids.

gameplan.exe

Got it.

"Defensive Strategy" - Any Location <OPD>
"For remainder of Game, any Front Line Character may use a Power card to defend a teammate listed on their Home Base. May not be used with any other Aspect cards."

This wording would mean you can't use it with Team Overpower, or any of the other non-roster Home Bases (since there are no teammates listed on them), and it would also prevent abuse of the Muir Island and Asteroid "M" Aspect cards.

Thoughts?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Palatinus

Quote from: ncannelora on April 13, 2011, 03:25:35 PM
Got it.

"For remainder of Game, any Front Line Character may use a Power card to defend a teammate listed on their Home Base. May not be used with any other Aspect cards."

This wording would mean you can't use it with Team Overpower, or any of the other non-roster Home Bases (since there are no teammates listed on them), and it would also prevent abuse of the Muir Island and Asteroid "M" Aspect cards.

Thoughts?

It seems pretty balanced.  You've got to chose which aspect you want if your homebase has an Aspect worth using, but it makes all homebases have a usable aspect and gives you a reason to use a location with a negative inherent over just using marvel universe or something.

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on April 13, 2011, 03:25:35 PM
Got it.

Thoughts?

That works.  :)

Heck it almost works as the I.A. for homebases we've been trying to figure out. Lol!