Urban Hunters, Ruthless, & Blood Hunt (BE-codes)

Started by gameplan.exe, April 01, 2011, 12:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

I'm not sure if there's an official rule about this. I've seen a few Meta Rules that suggest it, but it doesn't seem difinitive (or close to it, as other cards are  ;)). So, I imagine there may be some differences in how this is enforced and I'm curious where everybody sits on this one.

These are all OPD, with no duration listed... Do you guys play these as game lasting? (as opposed to Wolverine's RAGE, which is non-OPD).

In our circle, we play them as game-lasting. It doesn't seem game-breaking. For Carnage and Sabretooth, let's face it, they should be able to do this, and, it's not exactly like they're top-tier. For the Any Hero, it seems like that just makes AnyHeroes a little bit closer to competing with Battlesites, so that's cool.

What are your thoughts?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BigBadHarve

Quote from: ncannelora on April 01, 2011, 12:27:07 PM
I'm not sure if there's an official rule about this. I've seen a few Meta Rules that suggest it, but it doesn't seem difinitive (or close to it, as other cards are  ;)). So, I imagine there may be some differences in how this is enforced and I'm curious where everybody sits on this one.

These are all OPD, with no duration listed... Do you guys play these as game lasting? (as opposed to Wolverine's RAGE, which is non-OPD).

In our circle, we play them as game-lasting. It doesn't seem game-breaking. For Carnage and Sabretooth, let's face it, they should be able to do this, and, it's not exactly like they're top-tier. For the Any Hero, it seems like that just makes AnyHeroes a little bit closer to competing with Battlesites, so that's cool.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are the same as yours - it should be game lasting. Even according to the official duration rule.

I brought this up years ago when they announced the rule, but was told it didn't apply to those cards. The duration rule, it seemed, only applied to certain cards. So officially, no, it's one time use because it's classified as 'instant.'

A load of BS, but what can you do? Oh right, you can play it the better way anyway because there is no official governing body anymore!   ;D

And yes, as a game lasting card, the Any-Hero version is very nice.

-BBH

Nostalgic

We played these as one time use, but it was because we did't use either character that often and we also didn't think about these cards in the context of the duration rule.  I have seen this brought up on another site with the added suggestion of making wolverine's BE a OPD and also making it game-lasting.  

I'm comfortable with all of the above.  ;)

The other site also suggested making the AF special game-lasting and perhaps OPD to increase its usefulness.

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Here's a question to the masses:

What do you think about utilizing BE's for post-concession strings?

Example: You're playing Wolverine's rage. You make your attack after the opponent concedes. It's tracking senses. The hit lands, and the effect comes into play, you call up A-next and follow it up with berserk rage and finally whatever you can.

That is probably the most extreme case, but doesn't that possibility whet your appetite for some Wolverine action?   ;D

Officially, that's a no go, of course. You get only 1 shot after the opponent concedes.

-BBH

Nostalgic

That may be a bit much, but if multiple characters have a card that allows a post battle attack I'm not sure why only one should be able to use it.  ;)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Palatinus

I think the whole idea of being able to attack after a concession is so powerful I am glad that it is as limited as it is.  I mean, we've all had those killer hands that get wasted on an early concession, but still.  You can always play a card that prevents concession of course . . .

Nostalgic

I think the psychological aspect of playing against a team who theme/trick is the post battle attack would be interesting.  I mean you'd really have to modify you approach to face that.  You would definitely concede prebattle or have to concede with defense still in your hand just in case. Lol!

Palatinus

That is a very good point.  I know I am one to use conceding strategically a lot more than the people I play and that tends to annoy them.  If they started doing something like this I would have to be more careful about defense or who I let take hits.

The Dude

Don't forget that Image has an artifact that can be played on every character in the game except X-Babies to let them attack after the opponent concedes.

If this is allowable, then there is no logical reason that a special limited only to Sabretooth and Carnage could not allow the effect to last remainder of the game as well.

metaphist

Quote from: The Dude on April 10, 2011, 03:19:48 PM
Don't forget that Image has an artifact that can be played on every character in the game except X-Babies to let them attack after the opponent concedes.

If this is allowable, then there is no logical reason that a special limited only to Sabretooth and Carnage could not allow the effect to last remainder of the game as well.

The duration meta rule makes sense in some places but not in others. Someone brought up in another thread that meta rules are inherently flawed in that they are blanket rules and not case-by-case rulings.

Logically I would think of one-time use for the BE's because it's an ability that is being used at that specific time, and also it makes no mention of "remainder of game." It would make more sense as an inherent ability if they wanted it to last all game.

The artifacts, on the other hand, seem to logically fit under the game lasting category, since it's a piece of equipment that the character shouldn't necessarily lose after the battle is done. Of course, the duration meta rule prevents that.

For instance, you have the Image Inducer, which I brought up in another thread. It makes sense for it to last all game to me since it costs something to use every time. Even if you had all three characters equipped with it, you still have to pay for each use. A game lasting Vertigo but with a cost, and highly conditional set up :P

However, it dawns on me that if all artifiacts were game lasting, it would probably create the need for some anti-artifact specials to be created, since you can't negate them outside of the Ultimate Nullifier artifact.

The Dude

QuoteHowever, it dawns on me that if all artifiacts were game lasting, it would probably create the need for some anti-artifact specials to be created, since you can't negate them outside of the Ultimate Nullifier artifact.

I think we can see hints that had the game continued to exist they were moving in that direction. Witchblade and Savage Dragon both have cards to prevent Artifacts from being removed, while Nightcrawler's Marvels card was able to remove tactics either placed or already in play; clearly an attempt to disable artificats.