Specific Card Fixes

Started by Palatinus, April 11, 2011, 10:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Let's say that Overpower were going to be brought back.  If they decided to make the old cards legal, but with erratta to make them consistent with however they revamped the game, what card fixes would you implement to either a specific card, class of cards, or card type.

I know that there have been some posts about certain cards, but I'd like to collect all of this type of idea here.

One thing I was thinking was everyone should have an inherent ability whether it significantly affects gameplay or not.  I think this could go a long way to making your characters feel more closely related to their comic origins.  Another thing I was thinking along those lines was give hero cards a couple more characteristics.  Even if they are not sure what to use them for, give them codes like the H/V codes.  Just in case later they want to make cards that could make use of these codes.  Maybe an Mu for Mutant, Mg for magic user, and so on.

One card in particular that I think would be better if it was adjusted is the Ultimate Nullifier.  I think in addition to the current text it should cause all special cards in play that are not hits to be discarded as well.  One main reason for this is because this would make it much more Ultimate than just getting rid of the few artifacts that anyone might have out at the time.

BigBadHarve

I think the problem with the nullifier is that there aren't enough artifacts that you KNOW will appear in an opponent's deck, thus warranting the risk of using it. More usable and interesting artifacts would be good.

-BBH

metaphist

As I mentioned in another thread, I think a meta rule to make all artifacts game-lasting would be good. To compenate, include more specials that negate artifacts to join Nullifier and the handful that exist.

Palatinus

Quote from: metaphist on April 11, 2011, 01:21:13 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, I think a meta rule to make all artifacts game-lasting would be good. To compenate, include more specials that negate artifacts to join Nullifier and the handful that exist.

I agree.  I am really surprised to find that they applied the duration rule to artifacts.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Palatinus on April 11, 2011, 01:35:32 PM

I agree.  I am really surprised to find that they applied the duration rule to artifacts.

I believe the image inducer was one of the reasons for the rule. I think it's a good rule, personally. I've found that only having it for one battle makes it worth using in a deck, but doesn't make it overly powerful. In rounds where I'm going for the win, an inducer on hand is a really nice thing.

Though, I was disappointed when they nerfed it's ability to play it defensively. Single round, but with the ability to use it defensively is good.

-BBH

Palatinus

I like this line of thinking much better for limiting the power of Artifacts though.  Forcing people to strategically prepare for cards versus just making good ones weaker to compensate for people not wanting to prepare for certain cards or strategies.  I think BBH has put it will that the best way is to open up as many possible strategies as you can instead of weakening cards to stop particular strategies.  If there are 30 different strategies to prepare for you can't prepare for them all but that works both ways so it is its own form of balance.

Hot Rod

Defensive Image Inducer doesn't seem to be too bad.  I haven't done a lot of testing with it yet though.  I think it's a bit weak with the official rules, but it may be too strong defensively in the right deck, due to it not being an OPD.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Hot Rod on April 11, 2011, 05:28:35 PM
Defensive Image Inducer doesn't seem to be too bad.  I haven't done a lot of testing with it yet though.  I think it's a bit weak with the official rules, but it may be too strong defensively in the right deck, due to it not being an OPD.

It's very handy, let me tell you. But the cost of overusing it can catch up to you as well....

-BBH

Nostalgic

I always thought that defensive personal specials or specials that allow a teammate to "avoid 1 E/F/S/I attack" should be 'upgraded' to mean avoid one attack that contains that particular icon.

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Hot Rod

Yeah, Image Inducer can get away from you quick, with it being a -1 right off the bat along with all the cards you'll burn.  But it's still potentially abusive with the ability to increase it's probability of occuring in your deck due to not being an OPD.

I like that idea of upgrading those avoids to avoid an icon, Like the Hawkeye avoid.

I'd also like to see AT's being upgraded to HQ's.

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 11, 2011, 06:37:02 PM
I always thought that defensive personal specials or specials that allow a teammate to "avoid 1 E/F/S/I attack" should be 'upgraded' to mean avoid one attack that contains that particular icon.

That's something I think about quite a bit!  I have been playing a lot with the original set teaching someone how to play and I think of that every time I am confronted with one of these specific avoids.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 11, 2011, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: Nostalgic on April 11, 2011, 06:37:02 PM

That's something I think about quite a bit!  I have been playing a lot with the original set teaching someone how to play and I think of that every time I am confronted with one of these specific avoids.

Yea it gives those cards usefulness against most teamworks, tactics, multipower cards/specials, and any attack from a battlesite.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Palatinus

With some of the talk about the worse locations needing something to help them be good homebases, I was thinking that 1) If a site has a negative inherent it should have a positive inherent as well.  2)  Maybe homebases need to have 8 characters to chose from, two of which are differentiated in that they cannot be used when playing the location as a battlesite.  With 8 characters to chose from it allows for the sites to remain thematic but also give you the opportunity to build better teams.

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 12, 2011, 01:14:12 PM
With some of the talk about the worse locations needing something to help them be good homebases, I was thinking that 1) If a site has a negative inherent it should have a positive inherent as well.  2)  Maybe homebases need to have 8 characters to chose from, two of which are differentiated in that they cannot be used when playing the location as a battlesite.  With 8 characters to chose from it allows for the sites to remain thematic but also give you the opportunity to build better teams.

I've also tried to come up with something to address this.  Two things I thought about where using the shift mechanic for location based teams we talked about in another thread, but making you burn a card of your choice from you hand to do it. (new target must till defend with a power card) I've also thought about making personal 'avoid 1 attack' cards also count as 'teammate may avoid one attack of 6, 5, or 4 or less.' (which ever isn't broken.)  Probably "4 or less" since it would still be quite useful against those smaller teamwork follow up attacks used to spectrum KO...

Palatinus

I know you favor the shift idea for homebases and I do see why you like it.  The main reason I am against that even though I get what you mean by it making sense is that there are so many cards that exist to allow you to shift attacks.  This is a particular strategy and I think that by making it inherent to all homebases you would remove a lot of the skill involved in making a shift deck work.  If anything, I'd say remove it from FFP rather than give it to every base.  But I may be wrong on this.  The idea of a basic ability inherent to the fact that you are using a homebase does seem like a decent start to balancing them.