Specific Card Fixes

Started by Palatinus, April 11, 2011, 10:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nostalgic

Its the only way I could think of to deal with mismatched power grids.  Unless something like Reyes's inherent ability was applied to them.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

CoS

All cards that say: Draw 1 do not discard duplicate change to Draw 3 discard duplicate.

gameplan.exe

Another card fix- the CM-coded specials...

Way, way, more useful if they are defensive. As I noted elsewhere, I'd use 3+ of Iceman's if they were playable defensively. Also, it'd give Comm.Gordon another playable card (which he desperately needs, in light of his expensive Grid and max-6 stature).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

I was thinking about AA/AB specials and then GJ specials and I think that more AA/AB specials should actually be GJ specials.  For example, Wolverines AA would be better suited for him if it acted as a level 4FS attack.  I know they started doing this more in later sets as they seemed to be more conservative with this sort of thing earlier in the game, but I would think that going back over these cards a lot of characters would wind up with GJ versions of their AA/AB instead.

I was also thinking about AC specials.  The power to shift your opponent's attack is nice.  Not as nice as a teammate or universal avoid, obviously, but it is more in keeping with certain characters styles.  What I was thinking about this is that if you are doing something like Colossus and you are jumping in front of an attack that you know you are better suited to take than your teammate doesn't that logically mean that you would have an advantage defending that attack?  Along those lines I was thinking "Attack made on teammate is now made on [character], who may defend at +2.  I'm not sure how this would swing with the other type of AC where you are redirecting the attack to a teammate.  It almost seems like there would be a -2 in those cases.  Or maybe a "may not defend".

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 19, 2011, 11:34:43 AM
I was thinking about AA/AB specials and then GJ specials and I think that more AA/AB specials should actually be GJ specials.  For example, Wolverines AA would be better suited for him if it acted as a level 4FS attack.  I know they started doing this more in later sets as they seemed to be more conservative with this sort of thing earlier in the game, but I would think that going back over these cards a lot of characters would wind up with GJ versions of their AA/AB instead.

You could include HF and the level 4 AR specials in that too. 
As a side note the level 4 AR is one of the most baffling specials they created.  I mean why would that in any way be a good idea?  :P  ???
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 20, 2011, 11:54:54 AM
You could include HF and the level 4 AR specials in that too. 
As a side note the level 4 AR is one of the most baffling specials they created.  I mean why would that in any way be a good idea?  :P  ???

Agreed!  And to give a level 4 AR to some of those characters was really disgraceful.  Superman with a special wasted on a level 4 attack in one of his two 7 stats?  What the hell?

Nostalgic

Quote from: Palatinus on April 20, 2011, 12:41:54 PMSuperman with a special wasted on a level 4 attack in one of his two 7 stats?  What the hell?

LOL! I almost want to sig this.  :D

Superman should have been the "Spawn" of DC.

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on April 20, 2011, 02:36:08 PM
LOL! I almost want to sig this.  :D

Superman should have been the "Spawn" of DC.

Yes, he should have been Super powerful.  With an inherent like "Cannot be cumulative or spectrum KO'd."  You know, because he is INVULNERABLE!  He should only have been able to be TKO'd by the dead is dead rule.  He should have a teammate or superman can avoid 1 attack or 9 or less because that is most of what he does in the comics.  His two good specials have stupid names that are just nick names for him and have nothing to do with actually attacking.  Batman/Superman was such a frustrating set.

CoS

I'd like to see an inherent of "May only be KO'ed by The Dead is Dead Rule". Seriously this guy DID come back from the dead after the Doomsday incident. It would be the perfect fit for story line and would override some abominal special card choices.

Palatinus

Quote from: CoS on April 20, 2011, 05:24:47 PM
I'd like to see an inherent of "May only be KO'ed by The Dead is Dead Rule". Seriously this guy DID come back from the dead after the Doomsday incident. It would be the perfect fit for story line and would override some abominal special card choices.

Exactly!  Certain characters are way to strong for conventional killing.  It is a bit silly to think that what would KO Jubilee would also KO The Hulk.  Or Galactus.

Also, I thought of another card that needs help.  BU cards.  In a good hand, let's say you get a 1-4, you can do a 10, but it's only against one character so forget spreading the wealth for spectrum KO and it can be blocked in parts or as a whole, so one avoid and it's done or two power cards.  You lose so much card advantage.  Now, let's say an extreme circumstance where you have the card placed and draw a hand of all level fours of the correct power type and an event where you don't discard duplicates.  Now you can do a level 32 attack!  That can be avoided by one card.  I'm thinking something along the lines of making it one per deck and having it last the game and be usable for attack or defense.

Nostalgic

A "simple" fix would be to draw to replace the difference between the number of cards used to defend and the  number of cards used in the attack.  So if you combined the 1-4 to make a level 10 attack (combining 4 cards) and it was defended with an AG special (1 card) you would draw 3 cards. (discard dups)  :)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on May 03, 2011, 09:46:33 AM
Quote from: CoS on April 20, 2011, 05:24:47 PM

Exactly!  Certain characters are way to strong for conventional killing.  It is a bit silly to think that what would KO Jubilee would also KO The Hulk.  Or Galactus.

Also, I thought of another card that needs help.  BU cards.  In a good hand, let's say you get a 1-4, you can do a 10, but it's only against one character so forget spreading the wealth for spectrum KO and it can be blocked in parts or as a whole, so one avoid and it's done or two power cards.  You lose so much card advantage.  Now, let's say an extreme circumstance where you have the card placed and draw a hand of all level fours of the correct power type and an event where you don't discard duplicates.  Now you can do a level 32 attack!  That can be avoided by one card.  I'm thinking something along the lines of making it one per deck and having it last the game and be usable for attack or defense.

Keep in mind that the defensive action on this card is a one-card defense. So, yes, an AG will avoid the whole thing. However, if you come at me with 1-4 and I'm holding a level 4 and a level 6 power card, I can't combine my power cards, so I'd have to choose which to use to "block in part". I could use my 6 and defeat your 2 & 4, which would allow the 1 & 3 to stick. I could use my 4 to defeat your 4, and the 1-3 would all stick.

Not that I'm trying to defend this card. The worst part is when they give it to some one, then nerf it more! (see Catwoman).
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on May 03, 2011, 01:10:09 PM
Not that I'm trying to defend this card. The worst part is when they give it to some one, then nerf it more! (see Catwoman).

That's a relief!  ;D

This card ranks up/down(?) there with the level 4 AR specials we talked about earlier.  I mean they could have at least let it combine multiple power types! Not that 'that' would redeem it, but it would be slightly more useful, potentially, in part, sort of....
 :D

Palatinus

Quote from: Nostalgic on May 03, 2011, 01:28:18 PM

That's a relief!  ;D

This card ranks up/down(?) there with the level 4 AR specials we talked about earlier.  I mean they could have at least let it combine multiple power types! Not that 'that' would redeem it, but it would be slightly more useful, potentially, in part, sort of....

The remainder of the battle is a sucky part too because the card is worded as if you might try to do this trick more than once in the same hand.  Plus, you lose your turn for playing it so you might not ever get to use it if something happens on your opponent's turn like playing an AV or AX on the character.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on May 03, 2011, 02:42:52 PM
Quote from: Nostalgic on May 03, 2011, 01:28:18 PM

That's a relief!  ;D

This card ranks up/down(?) there with the level 4 AR specials we talked about earlier.  I mean they could have at least let it combine multiple power types! Not that 'that' would redeem it, but it would be slightly more useful, potentially, in part, sort of....

The remainder of the battle is a sucky part too because the card is worded as if you might try to do this trick more than once in the same hand.  Plus, you lose your turn for playing it so you might not ever get to use it if something happens on your opponent's turn like playing an AV or AX on the character.

maybe you could use it as a decoy/bait?  :P
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27