Survival Mode

Started by gameplan.exe, August 09, 2011, 10:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

I had an idea a few years back for an 'Endurance Tournament' which I thought might be fun.

All participants show up and register 4 decks. Each deck must be unique with no duplication of characters or battlesites. Only 1 of the decks may be an Any Hero deck.

As the swiss rounds progress, and characters are killed, they are removed from the player's overall roster for the day.

Each player takes what is left of their 4 decks and must now reconstruct a new team for the finals using the survivors. If they are unable to build a legal team, they are out.

All players with valid teams play in the finals, each round rebuilding and pairing off until no one can make a tournament legal deck. Last man standing wins!

I haven't drawn up the full details, but I thought it might be an interesting (and Challenging!) day for even the heartiest of players.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

That would be very challenging indeed, BBH! Sounds like it could be quite fun. I wonder how that would affect deck size... seems like maybe having slightly bigger decks would help some flexibility as you reconstruct... very interesting!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Quote from: ncannelora on March 13, 2012, 03:04:09 PM
Quote from: Nostalgic on March 13, 2012, 12:41:24 PM
I have a suggestion for the surviving team. If you won all 7 mission, you should be able to venture missions from the completed pile to remove damage from characters. This would only work if there were no missions in the defeated pile.  (Or perhaps a 2nd set of missions should be added to the reserve pile leaving the 7 in the completed pile to keep track.)

Also if placed cards and 'deck status' remain the same for the winning team when going up against the second new team then the power pack should only be reshuffled once and then after that is played through the whole deck gets reshuffled events and all. KO'ed character remain KO'ed so the deck still suffers from unusables, but resurrections specials potentially become cooler.

I really like the idea of healing folks with a Mission advantage - I'll see if I can work out some details for that.

As for the deck reshuffling, I just don't know. Seems like that might make it too possible for a single deck to take down all 3 decks... I really like the idea of inviting a bit of a volley.

At this point, it's all untested, so I might go the simplest route possible, then look to add or subtract elements later.

Thought about it some and to expand on the "missions healing" idea there could be 2 mission piles. If a team has already defeated one team, through winning 7 missions, these missions would stay in completed and 7 more mission cards would be added to the reserve pile. You still venture as normal but any missions ventured and won from the 'special' completed pile remove one hit from any character's permanent record. If ventured from this pile, regardless if a mission is won or lost, that mission is removed from the game afterwards and these cards never count towards winning the 7 missions needed to beat the new team.

A few things to note.
A)Regardless of which pile cards are ventured from the same penalty applies for venturing more than 2 missions. (I also don't think you should be able to venture more than 2 missions from the special pile at a time and one mission must always be ventured from the 'regular' mission piles.)
B.)If a team wins by KOing their opponents instead of winning 7 missions they won't be able to take advantage of this.
C.)You still have to weigh winning missions to survive  ;)/heal your characters vs winning missions to win the game.
D.) Since your deck is in the same position it was from last game trying to survive to and through your power pack to get the proverbial 'new lease on life' effect would be an interesting test 

Perhaps a 'penalty' for battlesite decks is that only once all specials under the battlesite are used do they get 'reset'.  So basically if you've defeated a team and are in the second game, played through your deack and the power pack once, and reshuffled everything, you would have 'dead' activators in your hand until you play every special under the battlesite so that they all can be used again.

ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 13, 2012, 05:17:45 PM

Each player takes what is left of their 4 decks and must now reconstruct a new team for the finals using the survivors. If they are unable to build a legal team, they are out.

All players with valid teams play in the finals, each round rebuilding and pairing off until no one can make a tournament legal deck. Last man standing wins!

I really like this idea overall - I think the only thing that would worry me would be who was left. Say 2 players are left to face each other, 1 can build a legal team, but the other has all 4 of his powerhouses left and cannot build a team so he must forfeit  :-\ Its literally the only negative that I can think of - its almost a "catch 22" Yeah you played good, but you're team that is left is too good so you lose....... ;)
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Jesse on March 14, 2012, 05:46:01 AM

I really like this idea overall - I think the only thing that would worry me would be who was left. Say 2 players are left to face each other, 1 can build a legal team, but the other has all 4 of his powerhouses left and cannot build a team so he must forfeit  :-\ Its literally the only negative that I can think of - its almost a "catch 22" Yeah you played good, but you're team that is left is too good so you lose....... ;)

I don't see that as a downside, that's part of the strategy. If you use expensive characters you need to ensure that the inexpensive characters survive otherwise you could be screwed for finals. Likewise, playing against an opponent with expensive characters, you need to weigh the short term goal with the long term goal. If you can take out his 'balance' characters, you essentially take out the high priced characters in the end game.

Beyonder teams and players using KO events could really be in trouble. Conversely, we'd probably start seeing more defensive teams to keep everyone alive.

Like I said, I'd need to actually sit down and lay it out. It's still just in the idea phase.

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 14, 2012, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: Jesse on March 14, 2012, 05:46:01 AM

I don't see that as a downside, that's part of the strategy. If you use expensive characters you need to ensure that the inexpensive characters survive otherwise you could be screwed for finals. Likewise, playing against an opponent with expensive characters, you need to weigh the short term goal with the long term goal. If you can take out his 'balance' characters, you essentially take out the high priced characters in the end game.

Beyonder teams and players using KO events could really be in trouble. Conversely, we'd probably start seeing more defensive teams to keep everyone alive.

Like I said, I'd need to actually sit down and lay it out. It's still just in the idea phase.

-BBH

Well when you word it like that, I like it  ::)  I am definitely in favor of Beyonder teams having some issues and it could very much bring forth  David and Goliath deck choices - do you want higher priced tougher characers with potential end game problems or do you want lower priced characters that may or may not be tough enough to stand alone, but will definitely make you legal at the end of the game.....

.....sounds like a pretty crafty idea.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

Demacus

I do like the idea of the Endurance match-up.  Great concept.  If you need help shaping it, let us know where you are unclear.  :D

Jesse

I had an idea a few years back for an 'Endurance Tournament' which I thought might be fun.

All participants show up and register 4 decks. Each deck must be unique with no duplication of characters or battlesites. Only 1 of the decks may be an Any Hero deck.

As the swiss rounds progress, and characters are killed, they are removed from the player's overall roster for the day.

I haven't drawn up the full details, but I thought it might be an interesting (and Challenging!) day for even the heartiest of players.

-BBH

Actually thinking about trying this next week. My friend that I taught last week wants to do this - my only issue will be having enough cards to build 4 or so teams for each of us! If it pans out, I will let you guys know how it goes.....and yes BBH even with my little bit of nay saying, I think I am hitting around your endurance style as opposed to my original thought from back in the day....