Homebase House rule....

Started by BigBadHarve, July 15, 2010, 03:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

I came up with an idea to add a little versatility to Character specific homebase decks.

Any team based off a 6 character homebase (as opposed to the open bases like Marvel Universe) has the option of adding in up to 2 non-OPD specials -1 from each of the absent character - OR one OPD special from either of the absent characters. These are placeable to the homebase.

So as an example, a player using Hell's Kitchen, playing with Daredevil, Kingpin, the Hand and Elektra on their team would have the option of adding in one non-OPD from Ghost Rider and one non-OPD from Enforcers; or alternatively they could use either an OPD from Ghost Rider OR an OPD from Enforcers.

I think the idea works, limiting the number of cards keeps a balance while offering a little additional motivation to using certain homebases, especially in the absence of good Aspects for a lot of bases. The other advantage is that it gives us a new dynamic by drawing from the pool of existing cards.

Thoughts?

-BBH

Nostalgic

Interesting.  As you mentioned many homebases lack aspects and this isn't a big change.  I suppose the homebase would be able to place the specials like a character could.  I'll give it a shot.  This rule combined with allowing all homebases to have the FFP shifting inherent ability should add a new twist to things.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 16, 2010, 11:42:03 AM
Interesting.  As you mentioned many homebases lack aspects and this isn't a big change.  I suppose the homebase would be able to place the specials like a character could.  I'll give it a shot.  This rule combined with allowing all homebases to have the FFP shifting inherent ability should add a new twist to things.

It's an untested idea, but I think it will work without creating an imbalance. We're going to try it out too, the next chance we get and see what happens.

-BBH

Karmanal of Zert

I'm only familiar with how home-bases play insofar as the rules are concerned, and lack any (recent) actual experience! Hopefully soon I'll have some thoughts for you. ;D In theory, I think it sounds like a fun idea that also makes sense with what battle-sites and activators are supposed to represent. Though against an Any-Hero/Character deck it would have a bit of an unfair advantage, if both players are using Location cards it seems balanced, which as we all know is the name of game in OP! Figuratively, at any rate...  :o

Nostalgic

Quote from: Karmanal of Zert on July 17, 2010, 07:57:56 PM
I'm only familiar with how home-bases play insofar as the rules are concerned, and lack any (recent) actual experience! Hopefully soon I'll have some thoughts for you. ;D In theory, I think it sounds like a fun idea that also makes sense with what battle-sites and activators are supposed to represent. Though against an Any-Hero/Character deck it would have a bit of an unfair advantage, if both players are using Location cards it seems balanced, which as we all know is the name of game in OP! Figuratively, at any rate...  :o

With all things being equal, meaning both players using 1 or 2 location cards (1 homebase and 1 battlesite), it does have some effect.  I think you mean the advantage would be against a generic homebase like 'Marvel Universe'.  If one person is using a location card as a homebase and the other isn't there should be an advantage to the homebase anyway as that player is deploying more 'resources'.  Since this rule doesn't restrict the use of other any-hero cards like using a battlesite does, it's really like have a couple of additional aspect cards for your 'team-specific' homebase.  I don't think it's any different than the 'advantage' gained by use a battlesite instead of any-hero/character cards.

What is a little weird (perhaps restricting) are character specific cards that say 'remove one hit from permanent record' or 'avoid 1 attack' since the homebase can't be attacked and unlike an activator card which played by a frontline character, an aspect card is played by the homebase itself.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

Karmanal of Zert

Yeah like I said while I am familiar with how they work as far as the basic rules are concerned, I lack any actual (recent) experience with Location cards, so I'm sure your interpretation of what I was trying to say is probably a much more valid point than anything I was close to coming up with.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 19, 2010, 08:36:54 PM
Quote from: Karmanal of Zert on July 17, 2010, 07:57:56 PM
I'm only familiar with how home-bases play insofar as the rules are concerned, and lack any (recent) actual experience! Hopefully soon I'll have some thoughts for you. ;D In theory, I think it sounds like a fun idea that also makes sense with what battle-sites and activators are supposed to represent. Though against an Any-Hero/Character deck it would have a bit of an unfair advantage, if both players are using Location cards it seems balanced, which as we all know is the name of game in OP! Figuratively, at any rate...  :o

With all things being equal, meaning both players using 1 or 2 location cards (1 homebase and 1 battlesite), it does have some effect.  I think you mean the advantage would be against a generic homebase like 'Marvel Universe'.  If one person is using a location card as a homebase and the other isn't there should be an advantage to the homebase anyway as that player is deploying more 'resources'.  Since this rule doesn't restrict the use of other any-hero cards like using a battlesite does, it's really like have a couple of additional aspect cards for your 'team-specific' homebase.  I don't think it's any different than the 'advantage' gained by use a battlesite instead of any-hero/character cards.

What is a little weird (perhaps restricting) are character specific cards that say 'remove one hit from permanent record' or 'avoid 1 attack' since the homebase can't be attacked and unlike an activator card which played by a frontline character, an aspect card is played by the homebase itself.

There would be no greater advantage or disadvantage over Any Hero decks, because a player may use a homebase with Anyheroes instead of a battlesite. So the same rule applies to both players, thus keeping the balance.

It would only offer a slight advantage over a generic homebase card, but those generic homebase cards have the advantage of versatility because they can make any team, whereas the Character specific homebase is limited to a selection of 6. This rule simply gives a player a little bit of use out of absent characters and their specials. The limitation of using only a single OPD or 2 non-OPDs is what I think will keep it from tipping the balance, but allowing additional and potentially useful cards for the team.

The key thing is to keep a balance. Too many of the absent character's cards would tip the scales. But adding one or two adds a little flavour.

As for the character specific cards, as you say the avoid, or removes, they would be played through one of your team, ergo like battlesite cards become specific to that character for the purposes of play.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quote from: BigBadHarve on July 20, 2010, 09:02:39 PM
As for the character specific cards, as you say the avoid, or removes, they would be played through one of your team, ergo like battlesite cards become specific to that character for the purposes of play.

-BBH

So basically they're like additional "any-hero" cards.  I initially thought of them more like aspect cards that could only be placed and played by the homebase.  I think either way works, but there is a subtle difference.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Nostalgic on July 21, 2010, 04:05:14 PM
So basically they're like additional "any-hero" cards.  I initially thought of them more like aspect cards that could only be placed and played by the homebase.  I think either way works, but there is a subtle difference.

Exactly - They can be placed to the homebase along with a possible aspect, but as you say, played as Any-Heroes through a front line character.

One of these days I'll get to try out the theory... :S

-BBH

steve2275

where does it say a team with homebase cant play any hero/character specials?
because that how you guys make it sound