DB Specials text

Started by Bios, February 14, 2012, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasiliskFang

So, any total answer to my questions above?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 28, 2013, 02:30:29 AM
So, any total answer to my questions above?

from this post?

Quote from: BasiliskFang on June 27, 2013, 09:55:07 PM
So you have to use this card immediately when the tw starts or what?

I think it should always take a power card along with it, otherwise your opponent could potentially use one of his tw cards to fish this special out.

Tw always require a follow up just like an ally card.

Something could be said about them being separate attacks...

I think DB cards are powerful enough, in that, they prevent a powerful attack. I don't think they should also take a Power card out with the Teamwork, no (which, btw, is one of the new rules in PowerBalance, which I don't think I like).

As for the Ally statement - it's true under normal circumstances, but still not absolute. If Gambit is my last character, and I have no Battlesite, and he's attacked with an Ally but uses Charm for defense, what happens to the Special card follow-up?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

It seems to me that once an attack has been played and the opponent has opted however to deal with it (avoid, defend, or take the hit), you shouldn't be able to back up from there.  It was mentioned that a negate could be played during a string at any time to negate the follow up actions.  Using the Banshee example, if the 4F lands, then the 5I is played, can I go back and negate the 4F during the string and have any effect on the 11E being played after the 5I?  I wasn't sure if I understood that post correctly...

I was thinking about the wording of the DB's...

"Use this special to avoid any teamwork attack against Elektra's team, cancelling any followups, or opponent must discard one teamwork card of Elektra's choice."

And thinking about the Gambit example, the circumstances of the Charm should break the standard rule about Ally followups.  For card games in general, the cards being played break rules.  You have the standard rules of play, and the text on the cards change what takes place outside of those boundaries.  The Charm SHOULD stop the followup without the Ally card suddenly backing up and becoming illegally played... but then again, it's OverPower, and for any genius in the game, wisdom, logic, and intuitive discernment don't usually have a place in the actual rules.:) 

Long Live OverPower!!!
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on July 04, 2013, 02:47:12 PM
It seems to me that once an attack has been played and the opponent has opted however to deal with it (avoid, defend, or take the hit), you shouldn't be able to back up from there.  It was mentioned that a negate could be played during a string at any time to negate the follow up actions.  Using the Banshee example, if the 4F lands, then the 5I is played, can I go back and negate the 4F during the string and have any effect on the 11E being played after the 5I?  I wasn't sure if I understood that post correctly...

I was thinking about the wording of the DB's...

"Use this special to avoid any teamwork attack against Elektra's team, cancelling any followups, or opponent must discard one teamwork card of Elektra's choice."

And thinking about the Gambit example, the circumstances of the Charm should break the standard rule about Ally followups.  For card games in general, the cards being played break rules.  You have the standard rules of play, and the text on the cards change what takes place outside of those boundaries.  The Charm SHOULD stop the followup without the Ally card suddenly backing up and becoming illegally played... but then again, it's OverPower, and for any genius in the game, wisdom, logic, and intuitive discernment don't usually have a place in the actual rules.:) 

Long Live OverPower!!!

I concur, I just like being a stinka  ;D as I said, I just think the DB is useful enough.

As for the question... no, you cannot negate the initial attack after the follow-up is played. I think they just mean that you could negate at any point along the way. So, you could let the 4F land, then seeing the 5I, you could choose to negate at that point, to prevent a third attack.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

BasiliskFang

I wouldn't have any idea what happens after charm...

TheGeneral

I must say I have never seen a DB used to defend a teammate except the Any Hero/Character. meta rule 67 states an avoid special is character specific.

BasiliskFang

negates and follow up are so messy.