Something new for events...

Started by BigBadHarve, March 06, 2012, 11:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

I was mulling this over and I think I may have to try it out -

What do you think about slightly altering the way events are played, so that they come into effect any time, not just at the beginning of a round.

Only one event per player per round, as normal... but in the instance of playing an HQ, or drawing cards when your opponent ventures, events come into play at the moment they're drawn.

That could shake things up with the sudden introduction of mid-round events.

Otherwise the same rules apply - re-draw for events that are played. Discard events if there's already one in play (on your side).

Thoughts?

-BBH

breadmaster

weird, i think ncann was just mentioning this earlier today

in his version, he wanted all events to be playable any time and redrawn for

i think it would be a cool thing to try out

Jesse

Quote from: breadmaster on March 07, 2012, 12:05:03 AM

Yeah, he did. I asked about using a special like Shadowcat's Draw 3 and what happens if you draw an event - that's what stemmed the discussion about playing them anytime. ~Which for the record I do like Ncann's idea on playing them anytime and possibly playing multiple~ just saying.

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 06, 2012, 11:10:47 PM
I was mulling this over and I think I may have to try it out -

What do you think about slightly altering the way events are played, so that they come into effect any time, not just at the beginning of a round.

Only one event per player per round, as normal... but in the instance of playing an HQ, or drawing cards when your opponent ventures, events come into play at the moment they're drawn.

That could shake things up with the sudden introduction of mid-round events.

Otherwise the same rules apply - re-draw for events that are played. Discard events if there's already one in play (on your side).

Thoughts?

-BBH

I've always been a huge fan of this. I say go for it.
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

BigBadHarve

That's funny, I didn't even catch that it had been discussed in another forum. The universe is aligning to the idea... :P

The other thread talks about a player being able to use all events in a single hand, though. I think the limitation of one event per player per round should stand. Some events stacked together would be a little too much.

Yeah, I'll add it to my testing list.

-BBH

Jesse

Quote from: BigBadHarve on March 07, 2012, 09:04:27 AM

That's funny, I didn't even catch that it had been discussed in another forum. The universe is aligning to the idea... :P

The other thread talks about a player being able to use all events in a single hand, though. I think the limitation of one event per player per round should stand. Some events stacked together would be a little too much.

Yeah, I'll add it to my testing list.

-BBH

Even if it were not like Ncann's thought of using multiple, I do agree all the way around that it would be more intersting if you could play an event when it was drawn and not just on the opening phase.

Interested to hear how the playtest goes...
Beta Ray Bill makes a WHOLE lot more sense at Avengers Mansion than Beyonder showing up and helping out during a fight. - breadmaster

gameplan.exe

I don't know when I'll be online for OPO again, but I'm down to try this when I am! I actually rebuilt my Fatal Attractions deck recently, because I decided to use all 6 Events. When I did it, I thought to myself, "Steve," that's what I call myself, "you're going to dup those Events like crazy!" But then when that last topic came up (HQ-Event), I thought that would be crazy!

My brother seems to think the limitation of 1 Event per player, per battle, helps maintain some kind of balance of powers. I told him the balance is that team can use ever Mission set, literally. He never replied after that (texts).

Anyway, no doubt it could create some easy bet FTW hands, but who cares? That'd be so cool!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Jesse

Quote from: ncannelora on March 07, 2012, 11:13:21 AM
I don't know when I'll be online for OPO again, but I'm down to try this when I am! I actually rebuilt my Fatal Attractions deck recently, because I decided to use all 6 Events. When I did it, I thought to myself, "Steve," that's what I call myself, "you're going to dup those Events like crazy!" But then when that last topic came up (HQ-Event), I thought that would be crazy!

My brother seems to think the limitation of 1 Event per player, per battle, helps maintain some kind of balance of powers. I told him the balance is that team can use ever Mission set, literally. He never replied after that (texts).

Anyway, no doubt it could create some easy bet FTW hands, but who cares? That'd be so cool!

At minimum it would be fun to at least try and see what happens....

DiceK

I think it would change the dynamics of the game way too much. 

Hotobu

I think that you should be able to draw a card for every event in your hand and choose the one you want. Suffering a card for a dup event seems stupid because it goes against the spirit of the dup rule. The reason why dups are not allowed is because you could just load up on particularly good cards and... well the game would just be dumb as hell. If you can only play 1 event at a time then what's the problem? You're not gaining any more of an advantage.

I do agree that multiple events per player could get REALLY silly.