Rules Committee

Started by Demacus, May 02, 2012, 02:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

Speaking of the Duration Rule, BBH, did your house rules address the BE coded Specials (including Urban Hunters)?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Quote from: Palatinus on May 09, 2012, 07:56:34 PM
I think what's important to remember is that this idea of a rules committee is meant to make the game more accessible which means that it can't go too far into changes and needs to be more focused on clarity.  I think that while there will be people who will obstinately refuse to see any change this is something to reflect on as a counter-balance to too much change.  I know these kinds of people will never be truly satisfied, but the best chance to convince people like that is to do things in a way that really makes things better so that when challenged with the new versus old you can point out that yes, it isn't exactly as things were written all those years ago, but the game is still the same game it was intended to be.

I think making the rules fulfill their original intention should be the first step.  As far as things like BBH's house rules that actually change things, or homemade cards that add things, those kinds of things should be treated as a separate matter.  One approach might be to handle things the way Magic is done.  You have your core rule-set and then you have your variants.  This gives you a base game that everyone can be familiar with and comfortable with but it also allows you to have variety so that game play doesn't get stale.

That's exactly it.  I'm not interested in making any characters stronger or weaker or more or less playable.  Simply that the rules are straight forward and clear, so that some of the more simple questions that have been asked on the forums are answered simply by double-checking the rules.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on May 10, 2012, 11:35:32 AM

That's exactly it.  I'm not interested in making any characters stronger or weaker or more or less playable.  Simply that the rules are straight forward and clear, so that some of the more simple questions that have been asked on the forums are answered simply by double-checking the rules.

You'll find that by virtue of just cleaning up rules, cards become more playable as a side-effect. Playing many cards 'as written' while removing unprinted and unnecessary restrictions will do that.

Blanket rules that apply, you know, as a blanket(!!) will open up more options once you re-interpret how some cards are worded.

-BBH

Demacus

If it happens as a side-effect, great. I more simply meant that I had no intention on re-writing to rules to a point where Nightwing would become much more then he currently is.  And I know people focus on Nightwing as being on of the worst characters in the game, but to me Supergirl is actually below him, regardless of the 1 lvl 9 special attack that she has.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: Demacus on May 10, 2012, 02:21:41 PM
If it happens as a side-effect, great. I more simply meant that I had no intention on re-writing to rules to a point where Nightwing would become much more then he currently is.  And I know people focus on Nightwing as being on of the worst characters in the game, but to me Supergirl is actually below him, regardless of the 1 lvl 9 special attack that she has.

Interestingly enough, applying the duration rule as a blanket DOES benefit Supergirl by making her OPD Shapeshift a remainder of game special rather than a battle lasting special. But that's exactly what I mean by a side effect of applying the rules in a consistent manner.

But obviously it wasn't meant as a 'let's make Supergirl marginally more appealing by making one of her crappy OPDs slightly better!' effect. ;)

-BBH

breadmaster

maybe not the place, but i'll list a few before i forget

1) duration: agree with the blanket rule, (opd=game, non=battle, printed durations over rule both)

2) i'd suggest a chain of command when it comes to changing rules in game: events>inherent abilities>specials (except where text on lesser card contradicts...ie: legacy regression)

3) this is a minor one, but i suggest getting rid of the rule that says you can't play fortress of solitude if you venture more than 2

Palatinus

Couple of things.

One, is it decided that the committee will consist of Bamf!, BigBadHarve, Breadmaster, Ncannelora, and Nostalgic?  Does everyone on the list agree to themselves and each other?  Does anyone have any objections to this being the list?

Second, I will make a new section on the forum for the committee.  I'll make a group for the members and then create both a private and public board in that section.  Does anyone in the committee volunteer to moderate the board and the group?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: breadmaster on May 10, 2012, 05:42:16 PM
maybe not the place, but i'll list a few before i forget

1) duration: agree with the blanket rule, (opd=game, non=battle, printed durations over rule both)

2) i'd suggest a chain of command when it comes to changing rules in game: events>inherent abilities>specials (except where text on lesser card contradicts...ie: legacy regression)

3) this is a minor one, but i suggest getting rid of the rule that says you can't play fortress of solitude if you venture more than 2

I agree with locking down a progression of battle-rule changes like what you posted. I don't think we need to hammer out that line right now, but it should be set firmly.
I also agree that NewUniverse/Fortress should be addressed, as well as Power Leech and some of the other Any Hero cards. That will all come, I'm sure.

Another rule that I think should be addressed is the FE-chaining rule that forces the forfeit of subsequent attacks... I'm not saying it shouldn't be the way it is now, but I think I'd like to see that explored a little. There are tons of little meta rules like that, they bear individual scrutiny.
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

Ok. Just to be clear, what I am proposing with this thread is to not drastically change Overpower as we've all known it since the beginning, but just to tweak the rules so as to remove confusions.  I'm not looking to build Overpower 3.0 or 4.0 but more like 1.5.  I'm not saying that in the process of cleaning up the rules we can't come up with new, more interesting rules for different variations, but the original intent of the committee was to make the game easier to understand.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on May 26, 2012, 04:45:39 PM
Ok. Just to be clear, what I am proposing with this thread is to not drastically change Overpower as we've all known it since the beginning, but just to tweak the rules so as to remove confusions.  I'm not looking to build Overpower 3.0 or 4.0 but more like 1.5.  I'm not saying that in the process of cleaning up the rules we can't come up with new, more interesting rules for different variations, but the original intent of the committee was to make the game easier to understand.

well, I guess I'm just not sure where the line is, then. I mean, how much "cleaning up" are we trying to do? Certainly, I don't think Meta Rules #1-4 are really needed, but then it seems like #5 is probably needed... so, should we go rule by rule and discuss necessity/clarity?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

I think taking the meta's one at a time and really figuring out what's nessassary and what's redundant/contradictory would be a good place to start.