New fun idea for AJ specials

Started by Palatinus, May 11, 2012, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palatinus

Now, draw to replace is an interesting idea, but that still only makes the specials not a total waste.  My idea is add an extra little function to the card that makes the card a powerful tool and also works thematically.

For an AJ that look at the top X cards of opponent's draw pile add "chose one card and remove it from the game."  Not as powerful as the counterpart that looks through the whole deck and chooses a card, so remove the OPD from the non-Any hero versions.

For reveal any specials or 2 cards at random, the card must now target one of your opponent's characters and add "opponent chooses and discards one of the revealed cards."

For reveal all power cards, again, it must have a target, and then add "opponent discards one of the revealed cards at random."

Change Doctor Doom's AJ to look at the top six and then make the same changes for the other library reveals.

Let me know what you think or if anyone play tests this.

gameplan.exe

interesting idea! it's a fairly new mechanic, but it kinda changes these cards all together... not that that's a bad thing  :D
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Palatinus

There really aren't that many AJ specials, but for the characters that have them many of them need another good special.  I think this gives a little boost that increases the usability of certain characters and adds a new type of strategy.  I haven't really refined this idea.  It mostly came to me while I was mowing the lawn today.  I have always hated how useless the AJ specials are though and most especially when they were given to characters I liked.  I just think about Deadpool and how he wouldn't just bust in and find out that his enemy has a couple of good secrets and then leave.  He'd break something or kill someone on the way out.  And Doctor Doom's AJ is a bloody time machine.  How does that not do more than just reveal two cards form the library?

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on May 11, 2012, 08:29:22 PM
There really aren't that many AJ specials, but for the characters that have them many of them need another good special.  I think this gives a little boost that increases the usability of certain characters and adds a new type of strategy.  I haven't really refined this idea.  It mostly came to me while I was mowing the lawn today.  I have always hated how useless the AJ specials are though and most especially when they were given to characters I liked.  I just think about Deadpool and how he wouldn't just bust in and find out that his enemy has a couple of good secrets and then leave.  He'd break something or kill someone on the way out.  And Doctor Doom's AJ is a bloody time machine.  How does that not do more than just reveal two cards form the library?

Deadpool has a pretty good array of Specials, especially that really, really good card from The Marvels, but I hear your point. Mystique is along the same lines. For sure, though, Doom's Time Machine or the Shi'Ar M'Krann Crystal should definitely be more powerful!
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

Ironic this idea was posted as earlier today I randomly thought of the same thing for AJs. I thought for any of the revealed cards the opponent should have to discard 1 of their choice. If it's a 'play open handed' card then the opponent must discard one card at random. I actually like that better than the draw-to-replace solution.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

Hotobu

I like this. I think it'd be better if it were look at 3, remove one from game, and chose whether or not to put one at the bottom of draw pile. Removing 1 is decent, maybe you get a good card maybe you don't. Most of the time you're going to trade one card now, for a pretty good one in the future, and know two of your opponent's cards next hand. If this were me one of those two would be my first card played so... it's not like you're really getting much. Choosing whether or not to put one at the bottom of the pile could be pretty sweet though because then you may end up putting one down there for a character you're about to kill, or if it's going to be one for a dead character or you see a dup it can stay. I think this isn't over the top at all and makes the card play better.

thetrooper27

We should make some customs for Ultimate Evil using these mechanics for AJ's.  Who could benefit from a card that reveals 2 cards at random and forces opponent to discard one of them, or look at top 3, remove one from game, then put one on top, and one on the bottom? 
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster