Alternate OP Rule Set - Please Help!

Started by Torch, September 03, 2012, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torch

Hi.  I have played both Marvel Overpower and Marvel VS and found I like some aspects of both games, and dislike some aspects of both games (which is to be expected I suppose).  For those that don't know, Marvel VS is a bit more like Magic than Overpower.

Here are my Pros and Cons from each game:

PROS
Overpower:
-Four characters start the game as a team and fight as long as they can.
-Simple turn-based combat.  No 'chain' or 'stack'.  No tedious accounting for life totals. 

VS:
-Face down resource row allows for more strategic play.
-Plot Twists can modify combat by adding boosts in the middle of attacking or defending.

CONS
Overpower:
-Discarding duplicates.
-Placed cards being revealed for all to see.
-Venturing which could lead to a big advantage for an opponent based on a bad draw.
-Only getting to play certain characters together based on grid totals.
-Many cards not being competitive, such as Basic Universe Cards due to the 2 vs 1 use, or many specials.

So what I've done is devised an alternate rule set, called Overpower 2.0, which is simply an alternate way to play that allows different teams and deck builds than you may see in traditional Overpower.

Highlights:
-ANY team of four may be played together!
-No duplicates are discarded each hand!  The deck building and resource row are designed to balance the game.
-No Venturing or Conceding.  The winner of a hand simply moves one mission card to completed.  An alternate win condition that keeps games from going too long, but not something that can steal a game in two or three turns.
Edit:*Read the Attached Rules to see how this is Accomplished!*

I am attaching the rule set to this post.  I am asking the community to read and try them out.  If for nothing else than to get some of your favorite characters together that you couldn't play before, and get some cards out of the box that would never see play in your traditional Overpower games.  They are a work in progress as my play group consists of only me and my wife.  Please let me know what you like, what you don't like, and your reasons behind it.  I want the game to be fun but also balanced.

TLDR; Please read the alternate rules, try them out, and give me feedback.  Thank you!

P.S.  Please let me know if you cannot open the attachment as I can save it in a different version of Word.

______
Torch

breadmaster

checked out the rules, and they look interesting

most of us like the game the way it is though, with the exception of some metas/erratas

Torch

Believe me, I understand.  The game has a rich history and I've enjoyed it as I know many of you have (and still do).  Just an idea to breathe new life into unused cards and teams.  Back when I played competitively, Teamwork cards were the only real Universe card played.  Basic Universe cards weren't even considered, nor were Double Shot or Ally cards for that matter.  Many non-attack Specials were too slow, especially since they take an action to activate when a player could instead be attacking.

These rules aren't meant to replace the original set, but rather give an alternate format.  Like New England Overpower (NEO) Rules did years ago.
______
Torch

TGW

I'll have a look when I get home from work this evening. I devised an entire set of alternate rules involving the character cards (official and custom) and a deck of playing cards. I have rules that allow for one on one gameplay and solo gameplay (which is part of the reason I created the rules).

Not to hijack your tread and go into too much detail, but the basic concept was each suit of cards associated to each of the four skills on the character's grid. The ace through 8 cards for each suit act as 'power cards' while the 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King act as 'special' cards for each character. Generally, each team has one deck of cards and a character can activate their specials for any skill that is over 6 on their grid.

Jack's quick character database has been a god send in being able to reference the specials for each character when I've selected five special cards. Essentially, the specials for each character are 'one per deck', and some characters received upgrades (mostly the DC characters, and a handful of Marvel characters). I've thought about using the Joker cards for something, maybe a teamwork or Any Hero special, but I'm still in the finalization stages of putting everything together. It may sound dull, using just the character cards with a deck of cards, but I'm telling you, it's a very fun alternative and makes for faster games that still retain an element of strategy.

The one player game is similar with a different setup for drawing and placing cards, but it still makes for a fun experience. And hey, I finally have a use for my character cards (I have one of each character card ever produced by Overpower and 40 custom characters), as I sold everything else years ago.

I'm definitely looking forward to checking out your alternative rules and will check them out later this evening.

Torch

@TGW Thanks for agreeing to check out the rules.  And your game sounds like a great 'on the go' version, as all you need is two teams of characters and two decks of playing cards (which are everywhere).  I get the idea that each suit corresponds to a specific power type.  But I'm not sure how 9-King translates to specific specials for each character.  Do you pick a suit for each character?  And can you please elaborate on your statement: "...a character can activate their specials for any skill that is over 6 on their grid."  What about characters that are max 6?
______
Torch

drdeath25

So basically the new rules are 'no sum deck rule', 'no discarding duplicates', and 'no venturing'. Not to be  a hater, but in my opinion if overpower was played like this, it would be a terrible game and lose all the magic the game has going for it.

I don't think venturing is a con in overpower. Its one of the more unique aspects of the game that sets it apart from other card games, and makes it alot more strategic.

I'm glad you found a set of meta rules you like, so all the power to you for that. But i just dont think this rule set is worth testing at my home game. Sorry if you think my screen name should be DRDOUCHE25 for this post, i really dont mean to be rude.

- DRDEATH25

Torch

Quote from: drdeath25 on September 04, 2012, 06:52:27 PM
I don't think venturing is a con in overpower. Its one of the more unique aspects of the game that sets it apart from other card games, and makes it alot more strategic.
It does add a level of strategy, but with the discarding duplicates and potential buildup of placed cards from a previous hand or two, it can become a little lopsided without an attempt for much bluffing.  The other point is the combat of the characters should be the main focus in my opinion.  I could see working the venture back into my rule set if it play tests well (no discarding duplicates or placing cards brings a higher level of the unknown into the venture).

Quote from: drdeath25 on September 04, 2012, 06:52:27 PMNot to be  a hater, but in my opinion if overpower was played like this, it would be a terrible game and lose all the magic the game has going for it
I think you're missing the key differences:  A resource row that builds the max attack values per turn as the game progresses, as well a max of (4) cards per deck (except power cards which can be infinite due to the resource row balance and OPD cards).  Have you ever played Marvel VS?  And everybody is entitled to their opinion and I have no problem with constructive criticism.  And believe me, I am a long time player of both the Original Overpower and Marvel VS.
______
Torch

steve2275

Quote from: drdeath25 on September 04, 2012, 06:52:27 PM
So basically the new rules are 'no sum deck rule', 'no discarding duplicates', and 'no venturing'. Not to be  a hater, but in my opinion if overpower was played like this, it would be a terrible game and lose all the magic the game has going for it.

I'm glad you found a set of meta rules you like, so all the power to you for that. But i just dont think this rule set is worth testing at my home game. Sorry if you think my screen name should be DRDOUCHE25 for this post, i really dont mean to be rude.

- DRDEATH25
i agree
but not about being douche

Torch

Quote from: steve2275 on September 05, 2012, 01:41:28 AM
i agree
Then which part do you agree with drdeath25 on?  That venturing is a pro to Overpower?  If so, okay.  But the new rules are NOT basically 'no sum deck rule, no discarding duplicates, and no venturing' with everything else staying the same.  There is a fundamental difference in game play that balances the game to ALLOW a player to put ANY team together and NOT have to discard duplicates.  If nothing else changed in the game play except 'no sum deck rule, no discarding duplicates, and no venturing' then I agree it would be a bad idea.
______
Torch

drdeath25

Quote from: Torch on September 05, 2012, 05:01:44 PM
i agree
Then which part do you agree with drdeath25 on?  That venturing is a pro to Overpower?  If so, okay.  But the new rules are NOT basically 'no sum deck rule, no discarding duplicates, and no venturing' with everything else staying the same.  There is a fundamental difference in game play that balances the game to ALLOW a player to put ANY team together and NOT have to discard duplicates.  If nothing else changed in the game play except 'no sum deck rule, no discarding duplicates, and no venturing' then I agree it would be a bad idea.

Ohhh, OK. I get it now. LOL. In your original post, i thought you were just listing the pro's and cons of each game first, then later, listing the rules. So i read this....

Quote from: Torch on September 03, 2012, 07:21:20 PM

Highlights:
-No duplicates are discarded each hand!  The deck building and resource row are designed to balance the game.
-No Venturing or Conceding.  The winner of a hand simply moves one mission card to completed.  An alternate win condition that keeps games from going too long, but not something that can steal a game in two or three turns.

And i thought those were the only changes to the game you had made. I didnt realise you were changing rules for each pro and con you listed. In that case, i would be interested in reading your entire rule set.

- DRDEATH25

Torch

Quote from: drdeath25 on September 05, 2012, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: Torch on September 05, 2012, 05:01:44 PM
i agree

Ohhh, OK. I get it now. LOL. In your original post, i thought you were just listing the pro's and cons of each game first, then later, listing the rules. So i read this....

Quote from: Torch on September 03, 2012, 07:21:20 PM

Highlights:

And i thought those were the only changes to the game you had made. I didnt realise you were changing rules for each pro and con you listed. In that case, i would be interested in reading your entire rule set.

- DRDEATH25
Thank you.  I can see how my 'highlights' might be confusing.  I meant them to pique the reader's interest enough to read the rule set and see how it is accomplished.  Since everybody here is a master of the original game I was hoping for some feedback regarding the mechanics.
______
Torch

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Torch on September 05, 2012, 06:55:17 PM
Thank you.  I can see how my 'highlights' might be confusing.  I meant them to pique the reader's interest enough to read the rule set and see how it is accomplished.  Since everybody here is a master of the original game I was hoping for some feedback regarding the mechanics.

hahahahaha!!! I won't speak for everyone else, but I'm so far away from being a master of the original game that I can't even SEE it! lol
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Torch

Quote from: ncannelora on September 11, 2012, 12:30:56 AM
Quote from: Torch on September 05, 2012, 06:55:17 PM

hahahahaha!!! I won't speak for everyone else, but I'm so far away from being a master of the original game that I can't even SEE it! lol
lol Do you play at all?  At least you could be considered a journeyman if you like!
______
Torch

Demacus

Is there a way to bookmark posts you want to re-read at a more opportune time?  As a player of both OP and VS system, I'd very much like to revisit this post when I'm at home, with more time to peruse these alternate rules.