Rules Revisions

Started by BigBadHarve, October 12, 2012, 03:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBadHarve

Hello all,

Since our rules committee has been dormant, and many unknown official rules continue to crop up to irk me, I have made another effort to tweak my own rule set for ease of play.

What I've done is remove the additional house-rules (well, most of them) and strip the reforms down to their most basic level as it pertains to the official game.

The goal is to streamline the system as much as possible into a rule system that discards the meta-rules entirely and plays on a more simple and intuitive level. Ideally, what remains could be incorporated into an edit of the main instruction guide.

That way, any dispute about how a card is played can be resolved by A) Reading the rulebook or B) The actual text on the cards. Those should ideally be the only two sources of clarification if a question arises.

So, here is what I've got. I believe it's pretty tight, but if you guys who are interested would be willing to go over and let me know any issues that come to your mind that are either confusing or create an imbalanced/broken scenario.

Remember - the goal here is the absolute removal of the Meta Rule system - so let me know if this system doesn't answer any questions. The nature of some cards will inevitably change here, that's expected. A lot of what's listed below is also official, some reflects changes.

RULE REFORMS

Rules for playing Overpower cards based on Card Type:

1.   Activator cards – Standard with the following adjustments:
-       The specials underneath the site are NOT considered to bear the icons of the activator. The activator and special are separate cards, but you still need to be able to play the activator to grab the special.
-   Variants of characters in a site may be used on a team without cost to the site. (IE: Superpatriot may appear on a player's team if Captain America is in the site without sacrificing the Captain America cards from the site. This potentially gives legal duplicates of certain cards.)
-   One Per Deck cards for Variants – A ONE PER DECK stipulation also applies to the battlesite. If an OPD appears in your site, it may not appear in your deck, and vice-versa.
-   May be retrieved from dead pile by means of another card.

2.   Aspect Cards – Standard rules.
-   Aspects are considered to be played from the Homebase, not 'through a character' and as such are not affected by circumstances that affect the 'team' or 'characters.' Effects on the 'player' may affect an aspect however.
-   Aspects may be placed to the homebase. The 'Any-Homebase' aspect may not be placed unless specified otherwise.

3.   Event cards – standard rules, no change.

4.   Power cards – standard with following adjustment:
-   'Power card attacks' vs. 'attacks made with power cards' = synonymous definition.

5.   Special cards: All cards played as written with the exception of errata list (see below). Specials are no longer subject to contradictory meta-rules. The following notes should be kept in mind:
-       'Acts as' - When a card stipulates that it 'acts as' another type of card, it takes on the properties of the specified card as well as remaining a special.
-   Combined attacks (IE: from AE coded specials) must be made with power cards of the specified type.
-   Conditional effects – If a card contains a conditional effect (If successful/if not successful) the effect does NOT come into play unless used against a character on the opponent's team. Conditional effects are not applicable to the opponent's battlesite.
-   Non-conditional Secondary effects – Secondary effects that are not subject to a condition of success or lack of success come into play immediately, regardless of the target (be it character or battlesite) or success of the attack. (IE: Acts as a level 11, <character> may not attack for remainder of battle.) Negates cancel all effects of the card.
-   String attacks. Cards that allow additional attacks may be played in succession for a chain. The follow up/string conditions (if any) of the most recently played card will always replace those of any previously played card, in which case unused follow ups from previously played cards are lost. Aside from this chains may continue as long as the player has the cards to string.

Any Hero specials: Standard with the following notes:
-   May be used as follow ups (where applicable) and with Universe: ally cards.
-   May not be retrieved from dead pile by means of another card. (Standard rule)
-   New Universe/Fortress of Solitude is played as written without restriction.

6.   Tactic cards – Must be played at top of turn, unless used defensively where applicable.
-   Artifacts:
Some artifacts may be played defensively. See notes about using cards to defend.
All artifacts subject to 'duration rule.' (see below)
-   Doubleshots:  Standard rules.

7.   Universe cards: Must be played at top of turn unless altered by circumstance or used defensively.
-   Ally – standard. All Universe: ally cards should read 'teammate MUST play...'
-   Basic – standard.
-   Teamwork – standard.
-   Training – standard.

General playing rules that aren't specific to any card 'type':

1.   Card 'Selection' etiquette: If a card allows a player to 'select' a specific card or card type from the draw pile, power pack, or dead pile and add it to his hand, then he must reveal the card to his opponent. If no card type is specified, then the player need not reveal the card to his opponent.

2.   Ending a battle: A battle is only over when one of two things occurs – A player concedes, or both players pass. Until then a battle continues as normal, even if one player has lost his entire team. Once a battle has ended due to both players passing, then total up venture as normal.

3.   Defensive plays:
A defense is defined as any card played in response to an opponent's action that protects a specific character; buffs/boosts a character or players team; or limits/de-buffs an opponent's (as opposed to a 'target') characters. In ALL cases the defense must be something that affects the card that is being played by the opponent in some way.
Any card meeting these requirements may be played defensively. Cards that have no direct effect on an attacking/played card may NOT be played in response as a defense. Likewise you cannot play a buff card to boost a card that is already capable of defending an attack, the bonus MUST be necessary for the defense.
For purposes of definition – 'block' is synonymous with 'defend.'
Also, utilizing a card already in play doesn't constitute a 'defense' as it is not being played 'in response' to the action.
If the defense of an attack is restricted by circumstance, then the printed restriction only applies to the card that stops the actual attack. (IE: Cannot be defended with a special. A special may be played to shift, or boost the defense – but the actual card stopping the attack must NOT be a special card.)
Any card that stipulates 'Play in current battle' or 'Play on your turn' may NOT be played defensively.
In short, a card (or combination of cards) may be played defensively if it:
1) Avoids/blocks, or shifts the attack.
2) Restricts the types of cards with which, or the manner in which the defender may be attacked (and also defends the attack). Example: Only attacks made with Universe cards may be used to attack <character> for remainder of battle.
3) Affects a specific card type played by the opponent. If no card type (power, universe, special, etc) is referenced, then it may not be used to defend. Example: Negate the effect of one special card played by opponent, or, Opponent's team may not use intellect power cards level 6-8 to attack for remainder of battle.
4) Is a buff for the team or a de-buff for the opponent. Examples: <character> is +2 to defense for remainder of battle, or, Character's <power type> rating is increased to 7 for remainder of game, or, Opponent is -1 on all actions for remainder of battle.

4.   Duration rule:
Cards with a lasting effect remain in play until the end of their duration. A 'duration' is defined by any card that stipulates:
A)   'Remainder of Battle'
B)   'Remainder of Game'
C)   'Until...' a specific event or action occurs.

If no duration is printed as in the above examples, then it is considered to be (B) if OPD and (A) if a non-OPD.
If a card's effect isn't immediate/instant, then the duration rule applies to determine how long the card may remain in play until the effect is realized.

5.   Inherent Abilities: Apply at all times, even while in reserve, without exception.

6.   Shifting attacks:
-   Attacks may not be shifted to any target the opponent could not normally have targeted with the attack in the first place.
-   Attacks may be 'double shifted.'

ERRATA:
ALL cards are played as written on the card. The only errata that apply are the following:

All 'avoid' defensive specials with a printed limitation (IE: avoid 1 fighting, teammate avoid 1 attack etc) are considered to be AD coded specials. All personal pure avoid specials (Avoid 1 attack) are considered to be AG coded specials.

All Any-Power Power cards are considered 'One-Per-Deck.' (Applies to the AP 7, which does not contain the OPD text.)

A3 (Danger Room Aspect) should read 'are not affected' instead of 'may not be defended.'
Any Hero: Power Leech should read: 'Play on target character as an attack...'

AP coded specials should all read 'may not be defended by a card with an <power type> icon.'  (Specifically pertains to Rhino: Rhino Charge) 

GD coded specials (Specifically Onslaught: Mutant Gestalt) should read "If successful, acts as a level 1 energy OR strength hit."

HM coded card (Longshot: Purity of thought) should read: 'for each card discarded this battle by Longshot's team, placed or in hand...'

HQ coded specials (eg: Mr. Fantastic: Inventive Genius) are all considered to be OPD.

LN coded special (Marauders: Vertigo) should read 'Play in current battle..." 
Maverick's 'Freelance Spy' should include the phrase 'for the remainder of the battle.'
Beyonder's Inherent ability should read: 'Counts as 28 points for Tournament Deckbuilding. Power grid is equal to highest value of all active teammates. May play any teammate's special cards. May not play any OPD special cards.'

Four Freedoms Plaza inherent should read: Any attack on FF team may be shifted to any teammate, who must defend with a Power Card based defense. If a power type on a character's grid is 4 or less, power cards of that type are +1 when used for defense.

------------

Let me know your thoughts. I think these are almost there with only a few hiccups to iron out.

-BBH

breadmaster

i have a suggestion for the  Card 'Selection' etiquette, part

instead of revealing the card to your opponent, just put it face down on the table until you use it, at which point you flip it over, and prove that it is indeed of the specific type

BigBadHarve

I did think of that, and it's a viable option. I am partial to the reveal aspect, but that might just be me.

In that vein - I was thinking further that any card drawn after the discard phase should be kept separate... but ultimately I think that might prove unwieldy.

Edit - It occurred to me that I missed one - I'll also edit the previous post, but specials that 'act as' would also take on the properties of the cards they act as. It's pretty much just power cards... but a special that specifically says 'acts as a power card' should by definition take on the properties of a power card as well as remaining a special. So it could be avoided with a master mold for instance, or negated.

-BBH

Nostalgic

Quick House Rule Reforms (I'd like to add...  8) )

+ Basic Universe Cards used offensively count toward venture total if only 1 card is used for defense against the attack. (They would also count towards HTKO against battlesites)

+ Training Universe Cards can be used twice by the same character; once in each power type.  The two uses can be offensive, defensive, or one of each if the character meets the stat restrictions in both power types. (similar to a am special)

Unless restricted by an inherent ability, and in addition to normal placement rules, one of each of these cards (Basic universe and training) may be placed to any homebase and used by any character on the team. 

+Doubleshots may be used defensively by either character contributing to the action.
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

steve2275

Quote from: BasiliskFang on November 30, 2012, 05:52:58 AM
http://overpower.ca/wiki/OverPower_Rule_Reform
http://overpower.ca/wiki/OverPower_Rule_Reform#DC_Character_inherent_abilities
i rather like that

Metropolis SCU: May have two special cards placed, may not be duplicate.
that especially

Killer Croc: May only be cumulative ko'd with 25 pts, or spectrum Ko'd with four types.
i assume we choose one of the two

but does those apply to opo as well?(altho i leaning towards no)

BigBadHarve

This was my first attempt at applying the house rules in a tournament format. I think it was fairly successful, the variety of decks was awesome.

I've since tweaked and revised... always looking for feedback.

The Croc inherent doesn't trump the Dead is Dead rule, but you get whichever applies first really. It's a handy ability.

-BBH

Steino

I really like most of these changes.

Play as written makes things a lot easier. 

I was not a fan of the Duration Rule when it was created.  To me, it nerfed a lot of older cards.

thetrooper27

BBH, you must play Universe and Doubleshots as the first play of your turn if you're playing them offensively?

And by your rules can I play Snow Blind as a defensive action?

And I was a little confused by the negate/ no intellect attacks of 6-8 may be used to attack for remainder of battle.  These are defensive with your rules, right?

And also, is your recyclable rule included with these rules?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

BigBadHarve

Quote from: thetrooper27 on November 30, 2012, 07:18:21 PM
BBH, you must play Universe and Doubleshots as the first play of your turn if you're playing them offensively?

And by your rules can I play Snow Blind as a defensive action?

And I was a little confused by the negate/ no intellect attacks of 6-8 may be used to attack for remainder of battle.  These are defensive with your rules, right?

And also, is your recyclable rule included with these rules?

Yes, all universe, tactic, Any hero, and Activator cards must be played as the first action of your turn... this is true of official rules as well as my house rules.

By this house rule set, yes Snow blind can be a defensive play.

The other house rules that I left out of this post included:

Recyclable cards: Basic Universe, Doubleshot, Training.

Pseudo-Aspects: If using a fixed roster homebase, you could take any two NON-OPD specials or any one OPD special from the two characters you didn't use. IE: Using FF plaza, with the fantastic four, you could also add a She-Hulk and Namor non-OPD, or a She Hulk or Namor OPD.

-BBH

thetrooper27

Do they act as special cards or as aspects?  Could they be negated?  Aspects can't be negated, right?

I didn't know universe cards had to be played at the top of the turn... what about teamworks? 

What about Flabby Fighter and cards like that?  Are they considered defensive by your house rules?

I like these.

BigBadHarve

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 01, 2012, 02:06:02 PM
Do they act as special cards or as aspects?  Could they be negated?  Aspects can't be negated, right?

I didn't know universe cards had to be played at the top of the turn... what about teamworks? 

What about Flabby Fighter and cards like that?  Are they considered defensive by your house rules?

I like these.

The 'pseudo-aspects' are still special cards and can be negated. Think of them like any heroes. They are placeable to the homebase, but not the team, also, I forgot to mention they use the same 'code rule' as battlesites - so you can't use two pseudo-aspects of the same code. (AG, AD etec.)

Yeah, Flabby Fighter would be considered Defensive.

One thing about my ruleset that I realized (and have yet to address) is that according to the wording - Nick Fury's Secure Perimeter and X-Babies Lil Rogue would also be playable defensively.

Haven't decided if it's broken or not.

-BBH

CoS

Let them be played defensively, rare to see little rogue see play and never have I seems Nick Fury...

thetrooper27

I'm not sure I like only being able to play teamworks and ally cards as my first action each turn... kinda takes their flair away.  Do you guys think this is a fair rule, or might it be subject to revision?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: CoS on December 02, 2012, 02:49:42 AM
Let them be played defensively, rare to see little rogue see play and never have I seems Nick Fury...

I'm inclined to agree, if only for simplicity. It would also require the opponent to use his site offensively, which doesn't always happen. Many players keep those activators for defense.

Lil Rogue gets a lot of use, though, anyone using the Babies is wise to put that card in.

It's funny, I was using a Fury deck the other day, and played Secure Perimeter... only to learn that my opponent had no activators. Always annoying.

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 02, 2012, 08:11:27 PM
I'm not sure I like only being able to play teamworks and ally cards as my first action each turn... kinda takes their flair away.  Do you guys think this is a fair rule, or might it be subject to revision?

It's 100% a fair rule, no need to change it. Strings are very deadly. And for a player to be able to chain teamworks from previously played specials would probably be a little too much.

There IS a small loophole to this, however. If you used an ally, followed with an AK special (Gambit: Charge object) you could legally play a TW as a follow up to an ally. The ally activates the special which requires a universe card contribution. Not broken or powerful, but legal nonetheless. ;)

-BBH